Fall Creek Fall or somewhere close Early April

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by bburgcamper, Dec 6, 2013.

1. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We are contemplating going to Fall Creek Fall the first week of April in our pup. I wanted to get an idea how crowded the park gets with Spring Break or possibly some other recommendations of other good campgrounds in the general area. We are considering Gatlinburg area as well. Thanks in advance.

2. Boroviewfarm

Boroviewfarm Farmer marries veterinarian; now raises kids.

Well, FCF and Gatlinburg are two of the most popular areas in the state! However, FCF is a pretty large park and has a lot of things to do and camp sites to spread out. The first week of April is a hit or miss as far as weather goes, and that'll have a lot to do with how many people are in the park. The bad news is that TN has gone to online reservations, so many of the sites might be reserved but not in use if huge weather is bad. Another thing to check on is that FCF is planning a major remodel of many areas, so you might want to check on that before you make reservations. We stayed at FCF with our popup a while back. I LOVED our site, and will try to find my notes on which site that was.
    Another park in the area to look into is Rock Island. Not as crowded, but also not as much to see and do.
    Are you traveling with kids?

3. bburgcamper

We are now leaning toward Gatlinburg due to another family joining us. They will have their 10 year son and we will have our 16 you and both boys will probably have friends with them. I would prefer FCF but Gatlinburg has more the boys if the weather is less than perfect.

4. blessingsintn

blessingsintn Member

How do you find people in TN to camp with on here? I tried under member locations but that page doesn't work. Really trying to find campers with kids close to middle tn.

5. bburgcamper

I have not been able to attend any of the rallies that are held around the country. I would think that this would be one of the best ways to find others to camp with.

We took a different approach. We switched from a tent to a camper and we were always talking about how much fun we were having. 3 different families we are friends with followed suit and ended up buying campers. One just ended up selling their camper and different friends bought one so we have still have 3 other families that will be joining us this season.

6. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

Here is another option. There is Cove Mountain RV Resort in Sevierville, TN. Don't be fool by the campground name. RV site is just a few miles from downtown Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Townsend, and many family fun attractions. We are from Northern VA and have been to this campground with other VA families, and recommend it. There is Zip-line as well as horseback riding in the area. Here are some links;
    http://www.covemountainrvresort.com/ http://www.waldencreekstables.com/
    Good luck on your trip, enjoy.

7. ricko

ricko Member

Another great area is Townsend, it's on the south end of the Smokies and is much quieter than G-burg and doesn't have the circus feel of Pigeon Forge

8. tork65

tork65 Member

We have been to FCF once, and we go to Gatlinburg every year. FCF was awesome, but the first night we were there (April) it was 22 degrees, thank the Lord for an indoor toilet with two small boys. As far as Gatlinburg, I would do a search for some of the reviews on this forum, but some grounds cater to outdoor activities, and others have mini golf and other stuff. Just depends on what you want to do and how close you want to be to town.

9. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

word of advise. many campgrounds in the "tourist" area are literally on the side of the road, meaning you are next to the main street or highway. Do your research and look around for other campgrounds in a more private setting if you are concerns with security,.

10. WrongWayRandall

WrongWayRandall New Member

Noni is quite correct - there are a number of locations where you are right off the main road. The National Park facilities are very nicely situated as far as scenery and low noise levels go, but they do not have hookups, so if you go with a private RV park you might consider reviewing the address on your favorite map website so that you can see the satellite image and get a feel for it's proximity to the road.

- Randy

[ALPU] [PUT]

11. bburgcamper

We ended up booking 2 day at our condo/timeshare due to the campground my DW wants to stay in not opening until April 1st. We will go from the condo to Adventure Bound campground outside of Gatlinburg for the rest of the week. We have another family joining us and they are staying in a cabin. My parents are staying in a condo in Gatlinburg for the week as well. I would have preferrred Fall Creek Falls or one of the National Park campgrounds but the rest of the party wanted more creature comforts and to be in Gatlinburg. I will hopefully make it to FCF sometime in the near future. Thanks for all the advice and I will file a trip report upon our return.