Fall Creek Falls SP in TN or Yogi in the Smokies-Cherokee NC

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by xraymama, Jun 8, 2013.

1. xraymama

xraymama Living well is the best revenge!

Has anyone been to either of these places? Which is better? We have 4 kids 12-17 years old so we are wanting to keep them busy with fun things to do. I have heard great things about both places.

2. Boroviewfarm

Boroviewfarm Farmer marries veterinarian; now raises kids.

We love Fall Creek Falls. There are many different activities to do. Hiking, boating, fishing, swimming pool, rec hall, and ranger programs. Also, if it really hot, you can go down the road to Cumberland Caverns where it is always nice and cool; and check out bluegrass underground.
    We like the CG at FCF. The kids love riding their bikes around the main campground loop. There is a great hill that is fun to ride down:)

3. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

I have not camped at Fall Creek Falls, but we did stay at the Inn last year. That would get my vote. Plenty to do there, and i second going down to the caverns and catching a bluegrass concert. That's exactly the reason we stayed there that weekend!

However, you can't go wrong with Yogi Bear either... lots of great memories as a kid camping at Jellystone Park..

4. Southern Gent

Southern Gent New Member

We're headed to Fall Creek Falls in a few weeks! I've never been but my wife grew up going there. It seems like they have a lot of activities. We're excited! [PUC] [PUT]

5. xraymama

Thanks. Fall Creek Falls it is. We are meeting friends there in a few weeks. Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping for cooler weather in the mountains but maybe not in July huh?
    OK I am confused. Is the bluegrass concert INSIDE a cave?

6. smoreking

smoreking Member

http://www.cumberlandcaverns.com/. I can't say enough about how much I love taking my family to FCF. I have not been to Cumberland Caverns, but check this link about it.

7. xraymama

awesome! I am excited. I checked out the Cumberland Caverns site. There isn't a concert the week that we will be there. BOO. Maybe we will go there just for fun. Thanks for the suggestions!!

8. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Our family camped at FCF last year and it was amazing! Just make sure you have everything you need for your stay. The closest store for food is 45min from the park. The closest wal-mart was about 15 minutes farther down the road. We are from Indiana and just thought we would go buy food after we set up. Big mistake!!

Otherwise... AWESOME park. Enjoy your stay!

9. aroberts

aroberts Member

We camped at FCF in July and the water falls were all dried up and the swimming hole was closed. They said that this is the first time that this has happened. We were very disappointed but made the best of it. ;)

10. vifquain

vifquain Member

We're thinking of heading to FCF in June. I've been there hiking a few times as my ex-wifes family lives in Cookeville, but never camping.

I'm a Florida boy and am not used to worrying about Bears or anything... What should I look out for? Do I keep food in the camper or lock it in the truck? Is an ice-chest OK outside?

11. takeitoutside

takeitoutside New Member

xraymama, if you're a Georgia girl, you should take a fleece for the evenings, and a warm hat just in case.