Falls Lake State Park, NC Holly Point CG

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
A very nice place ! we just returned form Holly point, and I gotta say, this place has some nice sites, ours was very deep set back off the road, and you could hardly see ( or hear ) the neighboring sites.

We were in site 92 on Loop 3 was directly across from the bathhouse which would seem like a pretty busy location, but it wasn't at all. bathhouse was clean ( at least twice a day ) also

We were with other friends ( who also had a boat ) and went out on the lake, which from the lake point of view seems like a meandering river of sorts. good time, couple of swimming beaches what appeared to be nice playground area off the beaches also.

We also met PinnMcCrack and her hubby ChucknMcCrack? visited with them for a bit Saturday night, Kim was in process of making a peach dump cake in the DO when we arrived, they shared with us and t was pretty good. I have to admit, I was pretty tired after having been out on the boat most of the day. not sure how much company I was.

My only complaint of the whole Falls Lake experience, one of the Rangers. no clue who he is, was dark and I couldn't see badge or name tag, but his demeanor and attitude was less than "professional".

My "infraction" was not hanging our site pass on the post. When we got there, it was just beginning to rain, I backed in and set up as quick as possible.

maybe 30min had gone by, he comes MARCHING down the driveway of the site hollering ( literally) " HAVE YOU PAID FOR THIS SITE ? !! "

of course we have, you can't get thru the gate without paying for a site and/or a day pass ( which WAS hanging from the rear view as directed )

My response was " Yes, we haven't hung the pass yet, we just got here " as I walked up the drive with pass in my hand. He SNATCHED it out of my hand ( really ? ) and stormed off up the driveway and got in his truck and sped off, came back a few minutes later and hung the pass on the post and sped off again. ( I had to laugh, it was pretty amusing )

Ok, I get it, I should have done this simple task, but really ? is all the attitude really nessesary ? Sure, having to deal with it everyday or weekend can get tiring, but isn't that part of the job ? do you really need to be a butt head ALL the time ? ( this is the second time I've had dealings with a Ranger at Falls Lake, last year was a similar exchange AS we were backing in )

Our neighboring site had similar issue 2 weeks prior. pretty much same response /reaction.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
We love Holly Point, as we only live about 20 minutes away. My favorite site is 94, but 92 is a good one, too. There are a few good sites along that loop.

We've never had that kind of experience with a ranger. They've always been professional and courteous, and we've been there a lot of times. Maybe he had a fight with his wife/girlfriend that morning before leaving for work. Who knows?

Glad you had a great time.

PinnMcrack

Super Active Member
Aug 23, 2011
I had a different issue with them, over DH parking in a vacant camp site. They informed me that he had to move our TV and insisted that it be done right then.

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
Returned to Falls Lake again the is week/weekend. DW has been bugging me to let her and DD camp by themselves, so I took the camper up and set it up and got things going this afternoon. the great protector is there with them, should anyone need to be licked into submission....

I have to work Thurs and Fri, so I came back home tonight, will go back in my work vehicle tomorrow, night after work.

should be interesting getting ready for work Friday morning in the bath house.

could hear the storms booming up, rained on me a little bit on the way up, sounded like the bottom was going to fall out, but got nothing more than wind ( a nice breeze is always welcome !)
apparently the storms went west and south, and socked parts of Raleigh pretty good.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
Blkvoodoo said:
Returned to Falls Lake again the is week/weekend. DW has been bugging me to let her and DD camp by themselves, so I took the camper up and set it up and got things going this afternoon. the great protector is there with them, should anyone need to be licked into submission....

I have to work Thurs and Fri, so I came back home tonight, will go back in my work vehicle tomorrow, night after work.

should be interesting getting ready for work Friday morning in the bath house.

could hear the storms booming up, rained on me a little bit on the way up, sounded like the bottom was going to fall out, but got nothing more than wind ( a nice breeze is always welcome !)
apparently the storms went west and south, and socked parts of Raleigh pretty good.
We live about 20 minutes south/southwest of the campground, and it rained pretty hard here for more than 1/2 an hour.

Hope you have a great time.