Family pop up wanted!

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by LeaInKCMO, Jul 4, 2020.

1. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

Happy 4th, all!

I have been scouring craigslist andFB marketplace but most campers are sold too quickly for me to have a shot at it!

I thought I’d post here if anyone comes across any leads. I’m looking for a pop up for our family 4. Older models are ideal to fit our budget. I’m located in Kansas City, MO but will travel a few hours (3-4) for the right one.

Thanks guys!

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Best advice I can give you right now is continually search. Work the market so hot right now you really need to do your research and be prepared when you go look. If you don't buy it then it will be gone by the time you get home it seems. If you don't know what problems to look for you have a much greater chance of getting one with extensive hidden problems.

Spend a lot of time researching here. There are hundreds of threads and posts on what to look for, how to fix things, etc.

Once you are confident in your knowledge just keep checking CL, FB, Offer up and others. You have to be ready to drop everything when one shows up that piques your interest.

Good luck on your search!

Kyle R Thorson and LeaInKCMO like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with above. The market is burning hot right now so sadly dropping what your doing and getting there as quickly as possible is the only way to get a chance. I ended up looking for over two years to find my popup. Didn’t help, I had a very limited budget yet still wanted something in usable shape. I ultimately managed to find something in the winter. The market wasn’t as insane and sellers were lowering their prices. Due to COVID the market is even crazier For campers as more and more people are choosing camping as their vacations instead. You can try RV trader in addition to what your already doing. Do your research in advance and bring a checklist and flashlight with you when you check campers out. Look the camper over carefully, but sadly be quick about your decision to buy or not. Your not going to be able to go home and think about it in this market.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  4. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

I actually came across a good find: 2008 palomino yearling 4124. Going to check it out tomorrow :)

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Hi Neighbor. When we bought our camper, I looked for almost a year. Ended up buying from a guy in Lincoln, NE.

If we see anything well let you know.

Good luck.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

Don’t forget to check Facebook market place. I’ve seen several PUPs posted there.

LeaInKCMO likes this.
  7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Tomorrow will probably (I hope not) be too late in today's market.

Kyle R Thorson and LeaInKCMO like this.
  8. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

So, inquiring minds want to know. Did you get a look at that Palomino?

LeaInKCMO likes this.
  9. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

I did! It is in great condition. One of the awning poles is broken and a bunk rail is slightly bent but fixable. We made an offer below their asking of $4k and are picking it up tonight! I feel like it was a good deal and am excited! I will have to post pictures soon.

The couple selling it have had endless FB messages for it. I got lucky and saw it 10 minutes after she posted :)

10. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

it definitely would have been! I think because of the holiday on Saturday, they didn’t mind waiting til Sunday morning to meet potential buyers :)

myride likes this.
  11. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

CONGRATULATIONS! [:D] Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

LeaInKCMO likes this.
  12. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

Make sure they walk you through the setup and take down process and show you how to access and use all the systems. (It will ensure you know how to work it, but as also that the needed cranks, etc, are there. :wink:)

myride and LeaInKCMO like this.
  13. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

Thank you for the advice! Great way to catch missing and/or broken things. Hopefully there’s no issues!

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Congrats! Hope it is everything you wanted and was looking for. Now time to tweek a few things and go have fun.

15. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Good sellers to wait for you, have lost deals myself with folks telling me they will hold for a day and then find out it sold, so good folks are still out there. Congrats on the new pop up, best advice I can give is seal every crack above and beneath the camper and go through it with a fine tooth comb, preventative maintenance is the key on these, also storing it indoors or under a roof but not necessarily cover it due to that creates mold.

LeaInKCMO and myride like this.
  16. LeaInKCMO

LeaInKCMO New Member

237C623D-E3AB-4F0E-AE92-B7A31B82128E.jpeg 382A3911-BDB3-470A-A876-4AE5876D646F.jpeg Hi all! I thought I’d post a pic of our new pop up. We are doing some work on it after we discovered the supports holding the AC unit had started to sag, allowing water to pool when the AC runs. We also replaced one of the wood sides on the roof. I hope to get inside to clean up and sanitize this weekend! :)

Sjm9911 and Tom Jordan like this.
  17. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Awesome unit, these are always a work in progress so don’t get discouraged. We are currently camping and I have to work on mine every trip but wouldn’t trade it for anything. Best of luck and congratulations!

LeaInKCMO likes this.