Family reunions at the Campground

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cztardust, Apr 17, 2018.

1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We haven't had but one big family reunion in the last 10 years, but my father was very big on filling an entire loop with extended family from all over the US.
    Those were good times. He was an incredible event planner and would have enough yard games and find activities to everyone to enjoy that everyone had a good escape from the day to day hum drum. We had from Great Grands, Grands to Parents and us kids under one shelter for our potluck one year. Does anyone else do this??? I sure miss him and those days. I can't seem to pull off the crowd he did. Maybe because of the times being what they are today.

2. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

My wife's side of the family has been doing annual reunions for the last 35+ years. They use the same CG every year, though a couple years ago the CG changed owners and the prices sky rocketed. Last year it was going to cost $130 for two nights plus the $50 to cover the food at the reunion. They always do the weekend after Labor Day so the crowds are gone and the previous owners always gave them off-season rates plus a group discount. The new owners got rid of all that and increased the seasonal rates at the same time. The attendance has significantly declined as a result, which is a shame.

3. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

That IS a shame. We've always used the Indiana Dunes Natl Lakeshore campground and always drew a crowd. I tried a few years back with plenty of lead time and hardly anyone wanted to take the time to show up. It was nice having a few relatives together, but not the same. I think people just got out of the habit going and forgot how much fun we used to have.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I think it's that he was the common denominator to everyone. We used to have reunions every year that my great grandmother organized. When she died everyone got together a year or two out of habit. Within 5 years the event was no more. 10 years later I have an aunt that is trying to get an event going now. She is doing well with her family and will likely have a strong event in 20 years with multiple generations. I am invited. The cousins that I was close to are in Florida and Spain now. I have no interest in going and it's no fault of hers for trying to get us all there. She always says remember how fun these things were? I remember them being moderately tolerable...

As far as renting out loops in campgrounds to me anything more than 4 sites together seems to be annoying. Everyone knows each other and chatter across the campground is up, the party seems to stay up later and be louder. Obviously with FCFS on the reservations there is nothing wrong with doing this. Just an observation. Groups that do this are allowed to, and those not in the group can be annoyed by it.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That was my first thought. I have been at state parks twice, in the past few years, where large extended families (or friends, not sure) have camped together. It was big time obnoxious both times.

It would have been better if they all had adjoining sites. As it was, state parks rarely have availability like that so they were spread out over the loop. They yelled to each other across others' sites, and seem to completely lose control of their kids, who ran as one big pack. Any of these people on their own, or maybe next to one other site of family/friends, may have been perfectly fine. I think they just get caught up in their own group and forget there are other campers there.

In once instance, they rented an empty site and used it as a central gathering place, where they played corn hole around the clock, with the intensity of the Olympic Games. In the other instance, one site brought out the largest TV I have ever seen in my life and played football games LOUDLY all weekend.

In my opinion, family reunions need to rent a venue, not take place in a campground.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

My wife's side of the family has them every three years in different parts of the country. Will be on Whidbey Island in 2019. Usually they have them in a large place where folks can stay (B&B, lodge, resort house...). We always camp there or nearby, partly because we love to camp and also because we are not much for the $250-400 per person for the cost (costs us about $30 a night at a local campground and that is for everybody). We usually take a full two weeks for the trip even though the reunion part is only about 4 days. Lots of other things to see and do. Some places we have been - Wildwater in MN, Rocky MTN area, Vermont, Fort Robinson....

We don't need much of an excuse to travel and make it a camping trip.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We have a few camp grounds that has a separate area for large groups far from the rest of the camp.

8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

The group camps around here have minimal electricity access. Mostly utilized for boyscouts/youth groups in tents.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would be OK with reunions in a campground IF the adults controlled their kids AND followed the quiet hour rules. However the few times I've camped beside multiple families the adults we're too interested in talking and ignored the kids and always talked well past quiet hour. I give people slack if they lower their voices, but in a group setting it never stays lowered. I'm all for reunions, but I agree they need to be held in the group section or keep to only a couple familys maybe three. I camped near one big multiple family group, and the kids were walking into strangers campers, trying to eat other people food etc. You complained and the adults talked to the kids but once the adults got back to talking the kids were right back at it.

Lanternman and Orchid like this.