Family/Unisex Bathrooms at campgrounds...

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Crazycoleman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

My wife and I have been talking about trying to plan and take a camping trip with the in-laws possibly next summer. Problem is my father-in-law is a bi-lateral amputee (ie: he lost both of his arms). My dm-i-l has to help him with the bathroom and showering...Anyone have experience at campgrounds with "family bathhouses" that would allow unisex use of the facilities?

ROb

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

it really depends on the facility, and I have only seen a few that have handicap accessible facilities. granted we are quite some distance from TX, and that does not reflect on your CG's local to you.....

I would call the places you are going to be staying at in advance and ask if they have handicap restrooms....

I have read here also that there are a few members here who require the need for the extra room in camping facilities, so hopefully they can be of more service.

another alternative off the top of my head is one of those tent /shower setups you can setup behind or next to the camper?

3. Crazycoleman

I am not sure if a hanging shower would be big enough for 2...it is a ways in the future, so we have time to think about it...but our past experience has been that they are more willing to go and do things if the issues concerning df-i-l are already resolved....

ROb

4. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Several of the State Parks have unisex showers. You can check with the campground before you make reservations. I know that at Inks Lake several of the shower facilities are unisex.

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I remember from years ago, the KOA in Cherokee had showers anybody can go in, and lock the door, but I don't remember about toilets?

6. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

In Ontario Provincial Parks, and in most other campgrounds in Ontario, the showers have separate entrances and are unisex.

As for washrooms, I'm with the Ally McBeal crowd - what difference does it make, we still don't flash our privates in the washroom anyways. I would take him in which ever bathroom had easier access to the handicapped stall.

We have fathers take their female toddlers into guys bathrooms all the time, as long as its discreet (dont hang around the urinals).

James

7. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

here in NW FL most of the CGs (state parks usually) we have stayed at have a handicap and/or family restroom, complete with shower

8. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

The new facilities in the Texas state parks are single bathrooms meaning the facilites are just for one person at a time and it does not matter the sex. Hunstville state park has them as well as Tawakoni state park. These are "one holers" with a shower inside but are large enough for a disabled person in a wheelchair. You could call the state park service to find out if other state parks have them.

I for one, would be more than happy to wait on going in to a facility if I knew someone was using it that needed assistance.

9. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

so I think the consensus is to call each facility and ask. they may have a certain loop that includes a unisex bathroom.

10. lodost45

lodost45 Member

The Mark Twain State Park in Missouri had unisex showers, but not bathrooms.

I have not seen any in Iowa.

11. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

I know that the TX state parks we have been to have handicap shower stalls. I don't know about the unisex stalls. Awsandlin has listed a few so I'm sure there are more.

I bought one of those tent like shower stalls yesterday at Academy for $58. It is a double and is large enough to accommodate two people.

12. Crazycoleman

It is something we are gonna have to look into. He isn't wheelchairbound, he has no arms. I have a friend that is a Lead Ranger at the State Park close to us, I may have to just ask him what he may know about the subject.

ROb