Farragut State Park (Athol, ID)

Discussion in 'Idaho' started by Steve A, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Farragut State Park lies on the southern point of Lake Pend Orielle. It was the site of a U.S. Navy bootcamp from 1942-1946. It is a 4000 acre park offering 223 individual sites, 7 group camps, and 10 camping cabins. It is a very old, I believe one of Idaho's first state parks.

The sites are very close together. From our site, 117, we could see directly into 5 other sites. Sound traveled as well. On group of Albertans, I think it may have been a family reunion as 5 sites were signed out to the same name, held a party which lasted way past quiet hours (2200/10:00pm). Sadly, camp hosts, which were only a few sites away, did nothing that night. The following nights, however, they were much quieter. Anyway... sites are water and electric. Most sites are actually pull-throughs. All sites had fire pits.

Flushing toilets, free showers and sinks were available and well maintained. Oddly, the doors were left open even through the night when the heaters were on.

There were plenty of hiking trails, several boat ramp areas, and enough to keep most campers occupied. The town of Athol had a very good diner which offered huge portions at decent prices. They also had a steakhouse which served smoked prime rib on Friday and Saturday. We went to both and both were terrific.

To add a positive spin to the camp hosts, they were very likeable people. They were also very helpful. I had bent my hatch access door key and it was twisted to the point of almost breaking. The lady camp host sent me into town with a name and place. When I got there I was sent elsewhere. The townfolks were very kind and helpful. I was sent to several different places to get a replacement. The reason it was several was because at one there were two workers but neither were trained on key cutting. At that place a gentleman told us of a hardware store in another town and gave us directions to get there. The directions were spot on and the gent at that hardware store said he'd do his best. He did and the new key worked!

If you went with the purpose of using the lake for your primary means of entertainment, I'd say that going there would be a good choice. If your plans were to "get away from it all," that's not a good choice.

2. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

We stayed at Farragut state park as well this past summer. We stayed because the rv campground at Silverwood was full and Farragut is a short drive away. It was delightful, the bathroom and showers fanatastic. Each campsite was very well maintained and tidy. The day we left we also stopped to see their naval museum-quite interesting.