Fastest DO cooking recipe

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by Dammitjim, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Ok, I know this goes against DO cooking principles, but we are going camping this weekend and our menu has nothing in it that is cooked in the DO because it took me too long to cook the food in the DO in our last camping trip. So, I want to sneak in something I can cook quickly. When I say fastest, I mean from prep to finish (knowing I'll have at least 15-20 minutes to just get the coals started). So, what is the fastest recipe you can think of?

2. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

How about some canned cinnamon rolls, Jim? Preheat oven for 7 -10 minutes. Place rolls in a pie tin, place pie tin in oven on cooling rack and bake. Oil your DO still and it will also help with your seasoning. Try a stir-fry meal. A full spread of coal underneath, put a coupe of TBSP of oil into oven. When oil starts to ripple, throw in ingredients and stir until done to your liking. Once your coals are ready, it really shouldn't take any longer to cook with a Dutch oven than a regular stove or oven. We're going to be at Ft Desoto this weekend. Stop by if you are there.

3. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

chicken pot pie.

cut and pre-cook the chicken at home.
    2-4 cans of mixed vegetables (do not drain)
    1-2 cans cream of ( whatever)
    1 tube of biscuits (8-10 pack)

25 coals on bottom. heat up chicken, fold in vegetables, warm for 5 minutes, add biscuits. cover, put 10 coals on top. it is done when biscuits are done.

4. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

And approximately how long does that take?

5. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Perfect weather for Ft Desoto! We will be going to Gamble Rogers. I just hope the winds calm down. The cinnamon roll idea doesn't sound bad...

6. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

If you use a coal chimney by lighting the paper on the bottom to light the coals it only takes about 10 minutes to get the coals ready.

If you use a coal chimney and place it over the camp fire it only takes 5 minutes to get the coals ready.

I used the fire this past weekend and almost didn't have time to prep the meal before the coals were done!!

7. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Maybe I'm waiting too long on the coals in my chimney, but it takes up to 20 minutes on mine. Don't you wait until the briquettes are gray?

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I wait until most of the briqs have at least some gray. A few will be fully gray, most will be about half. I haven't timed it, but 10 to 15 min. sounds about right.
    I have made pizza casserole a few times, all the prep is done in the morning, and it sits in the DO all day until it's time to cook. Then the cooking takes about an hour or so.

Greg

9. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

chicken takes about 5 minutes to heat through, vegetables and cream of whatever takes about 10 (stir every 2-3 minutes), biscuits are usually 6-10 minutes (read package)
    so maybe 25 minutes at the most for the whole meal?

10. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Like Campfreak the bottom coals are mostly gray, the middle are 1/2 gray and the top coals are just starting to turn. I them make sure to use coals from all levels on top and bottom.

11. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

For the chimney, don't wait until they are gray. When there is no longer smoke coming out of it and flames are seen coming out the top, the coals are ready. Some won't have any gray at all.

I do cinnamon buns in the 10" DO every camping trip on the last morning. Takes about 20 minutes.

Mind if I ask why it would matter if the cooking took you too long? How long did it take? And why would it matter to anyone else if you are cooking or doing something else?

12. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Yeah, whats your hurry?

13. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

see?

[​IMG]

14. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

That looks good. Is that in a 12" oven?

15. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

yes it was a 12" DO

16. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Thanks for the tips all! The hurry is that I have 5 children under 8 and 2 of them are 2. It is busy if you can imagine! A lot of you would say... oh, just let them play. I do let them play, but they always want to play with me and that's my reason for camping... to spend time with them. I once read that the best gift I can give my children (and my wife) is time, so that's what I try to do. I have tried doing the thing where they "help" but trust me when I tell you that it is very hard to have 5 helpers. I can see them participating when they get older, but right now I don't feel is the right time.