Fave Non-Necessity Items for Camping?? (or deem them necessary if you wish!)

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by equilibrium, Aug 11, 2013.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Well, one more reason why PUP camping is the most dangerous thing you can do I guess. If heating food in the crock pot doesn't kill me, my LP tank, battery, failed hitch, failed lift system, wheel bearing or a bear attack will.

Getting out of bed in a morning is a risk... after that you spend your time mitigating.

fourhallatts likes this.
  2. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

My two must haves are the Bal Leveler and cast iron. BAL Leveler is great in that it doesn't takeover long to level camper. Cast iron makes food taste so.much better. Starting to cook with CI more at home.

3. platcecila50

platcecila50 New Member

Do you find it is too low? How do you elevate (raise) the legs HIGHER?
    I find mine sits about 1inch from the ground..
    ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I doubt if you'll get a response from BarbaraFaith. This is an old thread and she was last on the Portal in April 2016

5. platcecila50

platcecila50 New Member

Thank you

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I love our 2 mickey mouse waffle irons. Just love the memories of being at Fort Wilderness even if I'm elsewhere.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You could get those plastic bed frame risers.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Get some PVC pipe. Cut it to the height you want with some extra to go over the legs. Drill a hole through the PVC at the level just below the kitchen leg. Put a bolt and nut through the hole so the leg will stand on the bolt. Now you have a tall kitchen. You could even make the PVC longer, drill multiple holes and give you a little bit of leveling ability for uneven ground.

If you are looking for something a little more secure you could get some aluminum angle stock from Lowes/Home Depot. Cut it to the length you need, drill 2 holes through the legs of the kitchen and bolt the angle brackets to the legs using wingnuts. You can't have them permanent since it won't fold back up with the longer legs, so you will need to install them each time.

I have not done either of these myself, but have seen others do it on various camp tables and kitchens. My camp kitchen is an older one from Lewis & Clark. It is all steel except the side tables, which have melamine/MDF counter surfaces. I have to replace those now as they got too much water damage over the years.

9. platcecila50

platcecila50 New Member

Thank you so very much..I appreciate your comments..I will try to do this