Favorite Camping Chair

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jeepster04, Jun 7, 2021.

1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Whats your favorite camping chair? We've had the typical pop out camping chairs for years and to be honest, they're terribly uncomfortable. Doesn't have to be a certain design, but something you can lean back in and put your legs up would be nice. I've been reading all of the reviews I can and the 'zero gravity' chairs get lots of bad reviews. Mostly something breaks for the fabric rips after a year. The rocking chairs seem nice, but again, multiple bad reviews.

I've got a nice eno lounger that is perfect, but there isnt always a good tree to hang it from.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    aan1129 and zak99b5 like this.
  3. John6239

John6239 New Member

4. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

5. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

Momnipotent and generok like this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The problem I had with zero gravity and popable chairs were they were all great for sitting back and being passive. But they under performed at tasks like sitting at a table and eating, playing cards, etc. So I agree with @Mike Honcho and after many different options, went with the side table director chairs. Very comfortable, can put my drink and Themacell on it and pretty easy to store.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Rempop and jpCamper like this.
  8. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I have an older Field and Stream directors chair. The seat back swivels so you can lean back and the seat back moves with you. Love it!

9. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

I love the zero gravity chairs. I get gravitating so much i have to hold onto my beer to keep it from floating away!:rolleyes:

kcsa75, Steveo4090 and DiamondGirl like this.
  10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

Love my zero gravity chairs (TimberRidge, Costco) too but they don’t work well with tables and are heavy. But they are AWESOME for naps and sitting around the campfire. We also bring folding directors chairs (TimberRidge, Costco) for the table. They are light weight and cost less than Coleman’s version. And are perfect for tables, used independently with their own table and keeping things light.

https://www.costco.com/timber-ridge-folding-director's-chair,-2-pack.product.100481959.html

Its cheaper to buy IN STORE than online if you’re only needing one. And Costco has the best return policy if you decide later… you don’t like or want them.

Happy Camping…[put&pu]

11. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I have had the same cheapo zero gravity chair for @10 years. I love it for camping and at home. Like having a hammock that I don't need trees for. When it dies, I will for sure buy another one. We also have some no frills green Coleman camp chairs.

campfire Joe likes this.
  12. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Lots of options!

For some reason the GCI chairs are out of stock at all of the Ace Hardware stores near me. I ordered one on Amazon just so I would have it and it said estimated ship date sometime in July.... Today it changed to delivery tomorrow and Im wanting to leave around 12 for my camping trip... So naturally I'll want to try to wait if it doesnt come before 12.

That costco zero gravity chair looks good, may have to try that out. Also like that strong back chair since all regular camping chairs kill my back.

Thanks for the ideas!

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Active Member

We got these at Gander Mountain before they went out of business. I don't know if these, or something like them, are still available but we both think that they are very well built and super comfortable.

Attached Files:

14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Picked up 3 college themed fold out nylon chairs bout 10 years ago when an Ollie's opened near here, $10 each; the Tennessee & Auburn chairs were $20 each, so I grabbed a Michigan, Texas Tech, & a Mississippi State. Good sized, comfortable, & have a different sized net drink holder on each arm; good to go...

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. TheLight75

TheLight75 Member

16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Due to my weight issues, my options for camp chairs are not plentiful, and comfortable ones even less so.

We have a couple of Quick Shade Quick Chairs with a 550lb capacity and a nice wide seat bed and back, roomy even for me, and well above my weight lmit. The problem is the fabric seat is the support and tends to bow, forcing legs together making sitting uncomfortable with the gentlemanly bits, and standing up difficult with the sciatica. So no I do NOT like them.

I have found however, the folding steel chairs, like the ones pretty much every church, convention center, school etc... seems to have en masse, and are readily available for dirt cheap money at every office supply store and even Wally Word are worth their space in the haul in / out. Throw a marine seat cushion on top to keep the backside from being abused too much, good weight handling capacity, and not THAT much larger than the fold up fabric ones.

Funny thing is. I know we aren't the only ones using these things. LOTS of folks around here are using them in camp....

They are probably long gone off the market now, but a friend of mine years ago, had a set of some 500lb capacity directors chairs from Bass Pro Shops that were pretty comfy. Padded, waterproofed-ish, roomy. There seem to be a lot like them on Amazon from different MFGs.

Woodland Readers likes this.
  17. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

We love our Coleman MAX sling chairs. The other bag chairs the back is just too straight up for me. The sling has just a little bit of recline compared. [​IMG]

18. Lana

Lana New Member

I 2nd these! Bought mine on Amazon as I need more lower back support and I love it. Now my husband wants one too. Only downside is they pack down a little larger than others, but we have enough space and being comfy at the campsite is more important! Luv mine!

19. Daniel Julicher

Daniel Julicher New Member

20. AndreD

AndreD Member

I prefer the coleman director style chairs. Always felt more comfortable with the firmer bottom and backing.