Favorite CO stargazing sites

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by CO Hiker, Oct 2, 2016.

1. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Just curious if any are willing to share some of their favorite star gazing sites in Colorado. Most of our camping has been to NF/SP lands to shake out the NTU camper. Its checked out and I am ready to get away from the lights with my scope. I'm in the Springs and just drove through Deckers and Buffalo Creek areas today. Seems like Denver and Springs lights would spill over in those areas but willing to try. Opinions....

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Obviously, the farther away from towns you can get the better. That said, I've been favoring the Grand Lake area lately. I really want to get into RMNP to get photos late at night but haven't had the opportunity yet. Are you just viewing with a telescope or taking pictures?

This was in the Frisco area over Labor Day weekend. Getting some glow from Breckenridge...

[​IMG]

3. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

HileHigh
    I intend to do both but mostly viewing. Liking the pics from Grand Lake. A friend lives in Boulder has invited us to GL this fall and am looking forward to it. DW is headed for NY over Thanksgiving and I'm planning to get somewhere dark that week with the scope. Will have to look at the lunar phase for that week. At 11 Mile Res SP this summer it was a moonless night but low clouds killed the prospect of good viewing. Was thinking Tarryall, Como, Jefferson area might be decent.

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I've had good luck at Taryall. Best viewing we had this year was at Sugarite SP, near Raton, NM, not that far from you. Also, don't overlook going east. We go to Briggsdale every year or two and that's usually good and John Martin near Lamar is good.

5. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

I have a photo app called Planit! That has the ability to slow Botrtle scale for any location.
    With that you can pick a spot, date, time and see the ranking on the scale for darkness. It's really good and was 5 bux IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk