favorite meal while out camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, Apr 2, 2017.

1. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Hands down ribs. Sauce on.jpg

2. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Dinner, steaks or chicken on the fire. But the KIDS love English Muffin Pizzas cooked in a pie iron. Pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni (etc.). The pie iron needs to be preheated and buttered a bit to avoid sticking. They are really good.

3. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Oh, picking a fav is difficult.
    But I'm partial to my DO stew
    DW really likes my DO chicken
    DS' like camp fire pizza (Pita bread, pizza sauce, toppings, cooked in a foil tent over the campfire)

4. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

bacon cooked up in the cast iron pan, followed by eggs fried in the bacon grease. Bread toasted over the fire. Coffee from the percolator pot (well, ok - hot water poured over instant coffee, but still). If it's the last day, it's camp donuts.

OldNavy likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

IMG_0154.JPG A little breakfast skillet is one of many favorites! With a Bloody Mary of course [:D]

Fordiesel250 likes this.
  6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Nachos with seasoned taco beef...

7. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

When camping I follow the KISS method when cooking, usually eggs & bacon or pancakes in the morning, sandwiches in the afternoon, and steak on a cooking grate over a fresh bed of coals, paired with potatoes sliced up topped with butter, onions, and garlic, wrapped up in aluminum foil.

cyclop5 and OldNavy like this.
  8. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

Pie iron pizzas are the family tradition. My grown kids would revolt if we didn't do those when they camp with us now. My personal favorite, however, is either baby back ribs or a pork butt slow-cooked over the fire. Every Memorial day a group of us get together and have one big blowout meal featuring one of the above. We'll put the meat on the fire at about 10:00 in the morning and serve it up at about 6:00 in the evening. That gives us 8 hours for drinking beer, telling lies, and solving the problems of the world.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    squid likes this.
  9. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Beef stew cooked over the fire. The smell makes down wind campers mouth water

10. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

whatever my wife is making:)

11. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

^^I like this. But I had to make a deal with DW to get her to camp - I do everything!! Planning, packing, shopping, setup, cooking, cleaning and teardown - she'll do laundry when we get home though.

Salandrew likes this.
  12. Osmia

Osmia New Member

We're kinda lazy with the food thing when camping, preferring easy meals with little clean up. IMHO, there's nothing better than a good bottle of wine in cheap plastic cups, served with a generous helping of cheeses and bread on paper plates, followed by more wine with chocolate and a spectacular view or a warm fire. Ahhh, the good life...

13. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

Costco sells frozen, marinated Salmon Steaks that are perfect for camping. Just toss them in the cooler and they will be thawed out and ready to cook on the grill when you get to the campsite.

14. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I almost felt guilty about knocking those two old ladies down to get closer to the front of the line. Almost. [:D]

15. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Hey! :eek: One of those was me!

16. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Oopsie ! [:D]

17. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

I tend to like a good Dutch oven chili ... that you start early in the day and just let it keep simmering (in scouts we used to even bury the Dutch ovens if we were going to be away from the cooking site) ... stews are good as well ... and you can be adventurous with the meat types (especially if you are cooking it for several hours.) it is a great meal later in a trip because many leftovers (especially proteins) can go in the pot.

Last trip I did pulled pork (put some smoke on it for a couple hours at home before we left) and then finished it in my Dutch oven ... and the leftovers made guest appearances at other meals (in hash browns with cheddar with breakfast ... etc.)

Fajitas are good and pretty easy (grate and one skillet) ... hobos, mentioned above) are always a hit (and easy) ... barbecue is a natural (low and slow or direct grilling -- either way your "dressings" and additions often make all the difference: like carmelizing onions, roasting garlic or peppers etc)

Being a Dutch oven fan I tend to try at least one baked good per trip ... pizza, pineapple upside-down cake etc.)

18. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Elk burgers, baked beans, adult beverage

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Fresh squirrel is always good!!! Not as nutty as chipmunk...

RollTide30 likes this.
  20. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Haha, used to use that term at work a lot, haven't heard it in awhile...

I try and pre-do as much as possible before we leave, I hate food prepping at a campsite. I usually prepare and freeze as much as possible, keeps everything cold in the cooler, take it out while my husband prepares the fire and its ready to cook.

kebabs - skewer everything at home, throw in the marinade and vacuum seal. Freeze, quick thaw before the grill. hardly any cleanup.
    marinated chicken, foil cooked veggies.
    steaks, potatoes
    homemade burger patties
    Of course adult beverages of some sort are a must ;)