Favorite MO campground

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by scott10ss, May 6, 2015.

1. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Haven't seen a new post on the MO thread since October, so I decided to start one.

What is your favorite(s) campground in MO?

One of my favorites is Van Meter State Park. It's in mid-missouri and is a very well kept small camp with nice shower houses, playground, trails, and lake for fishing. The large grass area in the middle of the sites is great for kids and all kind of activities.

2. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

I have yet to camp in MO. Every time we plan a trip we end up cancelling due to illness. We have not had much luck this year. We had reservations at Quivre River and at Babler. One of these days we will actually make it to a MO state park.

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Mo has some nice parks. I really liked Sam a Baker when we stayed there last year. So much so that we're going back this year. Clean park with plenty to do.

HAWKEYE71 likes this.
  4. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I have only been to one MO SP so far, but I am only one year into owning our PUP. We are aiming to visit a different one every year, since everything I have seen of the MO state parks looks amazing - and I love their reservation system! We visited Lake of the Ozarks SP in October of last year and I loved it. We are trying for Pomme De Terre this fall. [:D]

Uhde23 likes this.
  5. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

I'm headed to Harry Truman SP this weekend. Been there many times. Take the kids out on the lake for some fishing.

Hey CamperMike, where is "Sam a Baker"?

6. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

A couple hours south of st Louis off us 67.

7. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Got ya, I'll look into that.

8. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Nearest town is Piedmont.

9. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Been wanting to get back to that area to visit Elephant Rock SP. Haven't been there in over 15 years.

10. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

My son and I love that park. We visited it last time we were camping at Sam A Baker. We also stopped by Johnson shut-ins one day. Missouri has so many nice parks.

11. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

You all are correct, Missouri has really great state parks. A couple of my Favs. are Babler state park and Ononada State park. Bennett Springs and Lake Ozark are good also...

12. egapylime

egapylime Member

We have been to Wakonda SP and Ray Behrens COE. Wakonda is our go to park because we can easily scoot there for a weekend (20 minutes away) and it has all the amenities we need. Shower houses, lake with a swimming beach, kayaks for rent, it is always clean and well kept. However, Ray Behrens is by far my favorite. Gorgeous scenery around Mark Twain Lake, sites are more secluded and lots to do.

13. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Great info, i will check out Wakonda as well. Im creating a list of campgrounds i want to visit in hopes i can check many off. This is my first year with a PUP and i want to keep a log of campgrounds it has visited.

14. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Yeah, I've visited Onondaga quite a few times to tour the cave back when I was a kid. I have not tried camping there yet. We also would rent caones somewhere in that area... it's beautiful too.

15. 300Z

300Z Member

Johnson shut inns, elephant rocks and a spot in Lesterville on the black river can't remember the name. Oh and also on a river in Noel , Mo.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've only been to one state park in MO, that was Onondaga last fall. We stayed overnight twice, as we traveled to and from OH.
    It was mid-week, at the end of the season, so there weren't too many sites occupied; I don't know how it would be on a busy summer weekend. Some sections seemed to have better separation than others. On the second stay, we did get a chance to explore the park a bit (not the cave), and it is on our list of places we'd stay again.
    Here is the campsite we had both times, it was one of the more difficult to back into, given the angle with the camp road. In the pup, the hum from that transformer on the power pole might be annoying. BTW, the campground has wi-fi.
    [​IMG]Onondaga SP Oct 2014 by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

17. meggie_meah

meggie_meah New Member

We've done most of our camping at Roaring River SP bc my husband kids like to trout fish. Also some good kid friendly hiking trails, decent showers/toilets, pool in summertime, and it's only about 70 miles from my house so the convenience is nice.

I would like to make it to Johnsons Shut In this summer as well.

We went to Compton Ridge in Branson a lot growing up. I don't remember too much about it except that after our first trip there we discovered that the owners were our neighbors cousins, so we kept going back. :) we are actually going to be there next weekend so I can report back on June 1.

bob barnes likes this.
  18. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Cuiver River is a nice park but the road in is a little scary if your new to pulling a pup! Same with Meramec the road in is a challenge for anything large! But the river is great and the float trips are ran right out of the camp store and you finish at the CG. Babler is great for a quick weekend getaway but is also nice for exploring St Louis as well. Hopefully going to try to get to Onodaga this summer to see the cave.

19. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

I also like Onandaga, Sam Baker (though you really have to reserve well ahead), and Johnsons Shut Ins. For boondocking there is a gem called Marble Creek with river and rocks to play on but you do have to bring your own water.

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

If he likes trouting give Bennett Springs a shot!