Favorite MO campground

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by scott10ss, May 6, 2015.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Only place I have ever camped in MO is on the E route south of Fredericktown MO at the old IRON BRIDGE to the south down the river on a real small short trail. My BRADDY ancestors come from here and there is a spot their called BRADDYFORD which is a crossing on the St Francous River... Never found the homestead...

Think I have heard now the old IRON BRIDGE has now since been replaced with a modern bridge haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

bob barnes and unclemark like this.
  2. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

We've been to Wallace (too much highway noise), Pomme de Terre (once, would go back), Stockton (loved kayaking along the lake's cliffs, been there twice), Watkins Mill (nearby and perfect for late season gatherings when weather is dicey), and Weston Bend (small so book early).

3. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I must have sold things in Fredericktown for 30 years a very favorite place of mine but I like Arcadia Valley the best what a beautiful place!!!

4. aggieamy

aggieamy New Member

We just got back from camping at Big Lake State Park near St. Joseph. Great park. We have been impressed with all the Missouri state parks. I've stayed in hotels where the bathrooms weren't as nice as the state park bathrooms.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I've got to get back to MO and do so some more DIGGING UP ROOTS on our family tree... My Early BRADDYs came to MO back in ealy 1800's and lived around the Fredericktown MO Area. Several of Son's of Benjamin BRADDY moved to Southern Illinois and settled in what is now known as Jefferson and Wayne Countys in Illinois. This is what is known now as HORSE CREEK country. I am a descendant of the infamous ILLINOIS HORSE CREEKERS haha... I am from the JESSE BRADDY line...

I did hear about a historic named place called BRADDY FORD which is right in the area where my MO ancestors lived but on the couple of trips out that way have never found the River Crossing. I am assuming it must be crossing the ST Francis River. I camped along the ST Francis in my truck on both of those occasions. There was a beautiful very OLD IRON bridge on the E Route that crosses the ST Francis which has been replaced now with a modern UGLY bridge and I followed a trail road on the East side of the river back about a mile where it the trail road ends... No sign of any settlement there along the trail road to be found.

Want to head back that way with my OFF-ROAD POPUP and do some serious checking out of things... Would love to dig up some maps of the original roads before the E ROAD got built. They had to have crossed the River somehow back in the 1800's before the Iron bridge got built.

I have the Coordinates: 37.5014417°N, -90.4578966°W now located in the Rhoads Mtn USGS quad TOPO map area... Not many BRADDY's found with the two D's so this has to related to us somehow... None of us living BRADDY's in my line knows exactly where the original BRADDY HOMESTEAD was located at. I'm betting it was at BRADDY FORD River Crossing or close to it at least.

I think there is a campground just down the ROAD E from there I need to check out. Of course the trail road that runs on the East side of St FRANCIS was good sleeping in my truck. I'd camp there if the Law Dogs would let me haha... Maybe my story about this being where my early BRADDY's came from would help me from being arrested for trespassing hehe... I would definitely check in with them before just showing up... I think all of that land on the East side of the St Francis is RHODES MOUNTAIN Natl Forest area... I need to download a bigger TOPO map of this area...

I did meet a eldlerly gentleman from the Fredericktown Historical Society that remembers some BRADDY grave stones on the West side of the St Francis near that area but I never followed up on way back then...

Been hinting at Bob Barnes on here to go down there and snoop around for me but I don't think he has caught on yet hehe...

Just now scrolled up the list and see I have already commented on this thread hehe... Looks like you got two threads from me now... Glad they both said about the same thing...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. MillerMomma

MillerMomma New Member

We have camped at Lake of the Ozarks, Pomme de Terre, Mark Twain Lake, Thousand Hills, Lake Wappapello and Montauk State Parks.
    We also love our federal campgrounds in Missouri --> in the Mark Twain Lake area - Ray Behrens and Indian Creek; in the Mark Twain National Forest (which is a different part of the state) - Red Bluff; at Lake Wappapello - Greenville Rec Area; and at Stockton Lake - Ruark Bluff West.
    We have also tried out a few private campgrounds that were nice :) Missouri is full of awesome places to visit, and I aim to drag my family (kicking and screaming if necessary) to as many as possible :) Branson, Lake of the Ozarks, Kansas City & St. Louis are great - but there's also civil war sites (some historians argue that the civil war actually started close to Kansas City, MO!), Hannibal (northeast MO), Missouri Scenic Rivers (south central MO), and the Bootheel (south east MO).

If you are interested in camping in Missouri I recommend the following websites:
    https://mostateparks.com/find-a-park
    https://www.recreation.gov
    https://www.bassresort.com
    https://ozarkoutdoors.net

There's also a Facebook group called 'Current River, Jacks Fork & Eleven Point River' - this is a great resource to find out about beautiful south central Missouri! I think of this area as a campers paradise - camping, waterways, hiking/trails & a place for every budget! This is where people come to go floating - this area was hit really hard by the historic 2017 flood and has been working really hard to recover - your camping/tourist dollars will be very well spent here!

prop630 likes this.
  7. Uhde23

Uhde23 New Member

Has anyone camped at Stockton lake state park? If so do you have any suggestions on which sites are closest to the water for bank fishing and kayak launching? Thanks in advance!