Favorite Seam Sealer?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Chef9375, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Chef9375

Chef9375 Member

Hello All,

I just picked up my brand new 2014 2560g Rockwood pup. I posted the other day and got some good advice after doing camp driveway in the rain.

The tent dried for a week and then again with rain this am it's still leaking:/

The owners manual says use either paraffin or beeswax. How do you apply this to the seams just melt it and use a brush?

Also some people said use the Coleman seam sealer but others recommended seam grip or camp dry.

What is your favorite to use on your pup?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

3. smoreking

smoreking Member

Kitphantom, do you apply this type sealer to outside or inside of popup and or tents seams? Thanks

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Usually on the inside. In some cases, on the outside, or both. For instance, on some of our ground tents, there was a seam tape on the inside, so we did both sides to make sure we got as much as possible.

For the pup, we got better access to the stitching from the inside, so did it from that side.

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I had a thin spot with a small hole develop on the wall of my PUP some time back. I used Colemans seam sealer on the outside, let that dry then applied another layer on the outside and one on the inside. It held up for several years before I sold that PUP so I can't say if it is still holding to this day. The hole was about the size of #2 pencil lead.

I am currently applying it to the seams of a regular tent on the outside of the seams along with another waterproof silicone spray on the nylon material. You shouldn't need to use a silicone spray on your PUP but the seams can surely use some help.

6. piscoot

piscoot Member

We had a persistent seam leak in our older pup, 94 Destiny. After many attempts with seam sealers the leak kept on seeping.
    I read about this stuff, High Tech Fabric Guard 303. I posted the results some time ago with pictures how amazing this stuff is. Solved the seam leak for us and many others as well. With over 272 customer reviews and 4.5 star rating on amazon alone I think you should find help full as well. It's also available in a 2 ounce pump spray. But I found the 16 ounce bottle to be best of value since I used it to re-water proof other items like hiking shoes and ect.
    http://www.amazon.com/303-High-Tech-Fabric-Guard/dp/B0000AY69N

Sent from Piscoot's iPad using Tapatalk

7. Chef9375

Chef9375 Member

Piscoot- did you use on outside and inside? How's the smell of used inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I use it on awnings and/or canopies too , great stuff for UV protection .

9. piscoot

piscoot Member

i used on the outside and worked just fine, I did wait a few days and sprayed the inside as well just because.
    It does not smell after it air drys, but be sure to follow the directions.

You will not be disappointed.

Sent from Piscoot's iPad using Tapatalk

10. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

I use seam grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

It depends on what it is that is leaking. Is it the seams or is it the material?

I have used 303 High Tech Fabric Guard for restoring waterproofness to the woven material (Sunbrella) on my PUP. If your leak is somewhere in the vinyl that isn't a seam (doubtful), then use 303 HTFG. If it is coming in the seams, then use a seam sealer product specific for the purpose.

303 HTFG really restored the waterproofness of my Sunbrella. It wasn't letting water through but water just wasn't shedding off of it. After treating with HTFG, water just balls up and rolls off of the material so it doesn't just sit there and cannot penetrate.

For protecting the vinyl components of my tenting, I used 303 Aerospace Protectant. Do not get AP on any woven materials as it WILL wick water through it. I know firsthand because I read the advice to use 303 and often the Aerospace protectant, but that was wrong. For woven materials, it's the HTFG. Keep the AP on vinyl, tires, etc.

All of this goes on the outside.

12. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I used the 303 Fabric guard on the inside/outside & hit the seams with Coleman seam sealer. Great combo when used together. Have always used Coleman seam sealer on all my tents & canopies.

13. Alvin

Alvin New Member

So this fabric guard works to seal the fabric while also sealing the seams?

14. Sverige

Sverige New Member

I used to use seam grip, which is a great product for sealing seams. Now I use shoe goo & I like it a lot better, it hasn't failed me yet and it is easier to apply. It is actually an adhesive/sealant which is good since I use it sometimes to fill holes in the vinyl portion of my tent.

15. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I just bought a bottle of this as well. But I am curious as well if you can just use this on the seems.

16. bondebond

bondebond New Member

The 303 will not seal seams, per se. It is a waterproofed but not a seam sealer. If your seams are leaking then you would want to address that first then use the 303. The 303 would probably work well in most seam situations but large holes in a driving wind might get through. Most PUP seams do not need seam sealer as they are designed with threads that will swell or are coated to repel water. I would only use seam sealer if you knew you had a problem.

17. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Hi, Follow up on the earlier question.

If you do use candlewax or paraffin or beeswax, how do you apply it?

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I don't know of anyone who does nor would I attempt to do so with the options available today. Rubbing it on there will result in it flaking and not really filling the gaps as most modern waxes have hardeners that make the candles too brittle. Melting it and applying it is a disaster waiting to happen, in my book.
    Beeswax could be worked in but in my limited exposure use of it, it is rather tacky and dirt will adhere to it. I would get one of the seam sealer products specific to the purpose and then just keep an eye on it. The seam sealers can be applied both outside and inside for a great result.

19. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

+3 on the 303. Used it after cleaning the canvas on the PUP and it shed water and dried 200% better than it used to.

20. geoanna

geoanna New Member

303 Fabric guard!!!

That's the way to go! Used a paint brush (clean) and painted it on the inside and outside. Then used the leftover for the new cushion covers the DW put together.