February 2021 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Here is the battery charge reminder for those who need one.

I don't plan on anything mechanical, etc. for the TT right now. Today, my friend and I will be discussing alternatives for the "girls' trip" planned for June. I realized over the weekend that we need to decide sooner rather than later if we want to make alternate plans, as options in-state are filling up. The campgrounds in state parks are closed for some time to come, so not going to try those, even for June.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I can not belive its February allready......

3. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

I have started repairing the terribly designed storage lid on the front of my 98 Viking 2160ST. it has a crack all the way across the top edge which allows rain to get in. the PO put a bunch of nasty sticky stuff on the crack in a lazy attept to patch it. i've scraped all that off and i removed all the attaching screws. I have started patching/reinforcing with bondo fiberglass resin patch. it's ugly as sin so far, but i'm really impressed with how strong it is. i still have to complete the top patching and then repeat the process on the underside. if it's not strong enough once patched then i plan to simply rotate the lid so that the hinge side is on the clamp side and vichy versy. who knows. work is slow because i leave the lid on the camper when it rains and it's been raining cats and dogs lately.

lid.jpg

ezmason, firepit, rescamilla and 3 others like this.
  4. kitphantom

There is that! Feels like not much progress in anything camping-related, but at least the days are getting noticeably longer here in NM.

Susan Premo, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

I have started to order LED lights for the trailer. All lighting will be converted by the start of the season (FINALLY... long over due). I have a list ready for the spring of what I need to do for the first trip.. sadly there is not much I can do here in the great white north in January & February, heck, March and early April are iffy too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Strawhouse, Michael J and kitphantom like this.
  6. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ordered a collapsible cupboard and camp kitchen from Germany - we just booked a nice seasonal site in an Ontario provincial park (Voyageur) so I want to really set things up nicely instead of being minimalist

Eager for season to start

7. kitphantom

We made our alternate plans for our girls' trip in June. For the time being, we're keeping both sets, will decide around April 1st which ones to cancel.
    I need to find some ideas for some of the totes kept on the platform behind one dinette bench when my husband and I are on a trip. For the girls' trip, the dinette will be a bed, and my friend will need that space for her things. We managed for along weekend last year, which we organized better than the year before, but there is a huge amount of room for improvement. The easiest location would be the aisle next to the bed, next to the kitchenette. Things are tight, it's not too easy to access anything near floor level, so I'll have to re-configure some of the food boxes for this trip.

8. Sjm9911

I just ran over the power cord to the TT with the snow blower. So i am now going to replace the end. I may have to wait untill some of the foot or more of snow melts. Lets see how i feel tomorrow..........

Michael J, neighbormike and xxxapache like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Crap, i probably should unplug the camper, i unpluged the cord from the outlet, but can power feed the other way?

Michael J likes this.
  10. Eric Webber

Since your TT likely has no AC power running through it (it would be insanely dangerous to have two different AC inputs at once without a switch), its fine

Don't worry about DC (12v Battery power) back feeding through the line, the converter brings it down to 12v, not inverted back up to 120v...

Sucks about the cord though - but no danger so long as the house outlet side (male) is unplugged

11. Sjm9911

I went out in my last pair of non wet boots anyway and unpluged it. Yea, i wasn't thinking dc voltage ,lol. Figured 110 since it was an extention cord. Its been a long day.

Eric Webber likes this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

That is exactly why I unplugged my TT the other day and rolled the cord up. We got snow the next day and I knew I would be snowblower happy making paths in the yard.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I looked at it from the kitchen window covered in a blanket of snow

14. Eric Webber

Mine is so completely buried, I only have a general idea where it is....

Strawhouse, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Yea, i rushed the 2nd snow blowing as dinner was ready. I drove an hour north to take my neice to work, its usally a 30 min drive lol. Shes a nurse and no one was going in. My truck did well, but i was not going fast. I saw and avoided a lot of people spinning out and pretty much totaling there cars, suvs. People are genuinely not smart sometimes. If i have a 2500 , 4x4 and am going 35/ 40 mph, you in your small suv shouldn't be going 60 . So that was stressful, and i wasnt thinking. At least i didnt blow a shear pin in the blower.

16. Eric Webber

Yup. AWD/4WD and ground clearance might get you going in snow, but its not going to help you STOP on ice
    Slow and steady (and Ideally winter tires) is the key

Allen R Glass, Michael J and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Chrason1916

Chrason1916 New Member

Hello I’m new to the popup world, and have purchased a 94 Viking popup that I only paid $250 for due to not lifting. After getting into the inside the vinyl looks brand new so I got a killer deal. My question is the winch that was in there is the Dutton-Laison and the reason it’s not working is it is missing the the extension or what ever goes on the crank side. After looking around I found an extension but it’s like $42 which seems high, I found a Goshen winch that I would have to weld my base plate to but I am wondering if it is do able? They both look similar but Goshen seem cheaper and easier to find parts for. I also don’t want to be buying a bunch of parts to get the old one going if I don’t need to! PLEASE HELP.
    upload_2021-2-2_20-19-25.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-2_20-19-46.jpeg

rescamilla likes this.
  18. kitphantom

I ventured out to the trailer to retrieve my light hiking boots, so we can begin walking in Open Space and the arroyo behind my friends' house. My "sneakers" don't cut it for wash walking, and I'm still rehabbing my ankle. I want to be ready to hike by the fist camping trip, scheduled for April.

I was going to test my new flagpole, but couldn't find the clamp-on holder. How I could misplace a 4 or 5" sort-of cube-shaped chunk of metal, I don't know, but I couldn't find it. That probably means I stuck it "somewhere safe".

19. Eric Webber

I’m going to try to ask this delicately, because it could easily be taken wrong- and this seems like a friendly enough place to do so....

Maybe this is a thing where - for the most part - Canadians show patriotism differently from Americans, but... why do you fly a flag camping (I’m assuming it’s a USA or state flag)?

This isn’t a backdoor to starting a political flame war or anything- I’m really curious. I see people who pack so minimally that they could almost be canoe camping, and then set up a flag. I don’t understand it.

I don’t understand it at homes either, but we each “decorate” however we want. But camping?

I mean, anyone can bring whatever they want. People don’t understand my over the top kitchen. But I’m always curious about the “why” of it - and in the case of a flag, I have no guess

would you be open to explaining your reasoning to a confused Canuck?

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

I cleaned 30" of snow off the pup!!!

45 Days till Spring!!!