February 2021 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We ended up installing a Valterra PVC tube for our sewer hose. The bumper on our Retro would not accommodate the better hose, after the first one leaked the second time we used it. We weren't sure if that was hose quality, or it scraped something in the close quarters of the bumper. The Valterra tube has caps that screw in.
    We still have the vented caps on the bumper. They aren't foolproof though. We lost one somewhere along the way, probably on, or after being on, an unpaved road.

DiamondGirl and neighbormike like this.
  2. kitphantom

After a week of varied winter weather - cold, snow, ice, the sun is out for the second day in a row (we're used to sun, so miss it when it's cloudy), and things are thawing. We opened the trailer this morning, the bed is dry,the towel caught what melted from that vent. Opened the vents, turned on the bathroom fan, and set another going on oscillation to get it well aired out. The melted snow in the bathroom had made a smaller puddle that I'd expected, or else some had evaporated already. Mopped that u. I'll deal with the dirt blown in when I do the spring cleaning. I left my keys where I'll see them and remember to close it up later today, we have a wind warning for later on.

3. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

So I guess blowing the water lines is pretty quick and easy? We haven't had an opportunity to use our camper yet, so if it's as easy as it seems, I think I'll be more comfortable using the water.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a small California Air Tool 1 gallon compressor. I can take it with me and blow the lines out before I come back into freezing temperatures. I got an air fitting that screws into the fresh water connection. Air hose pressure is set to 35 psi and the air hose connects to the air fitting. First I by-pass the water heater with the valves. With the camper level, I alternate hot and cold faucets for a few seconds, stopping some for the compressor to build back to full pressure. I keep cracking faucets and low point drains until the fog stops coming out. Don't forget to purge the toilet and outside shower. I then cut off the water pump fresh water supply and open the line for anti-freeze pickup. Next, all faucets closed, cold water low point drain open. I have the wife cut on the pump for 5 seconds while I put air on the anti-freeze pickup line. Next I pour anti-freeze into the drains. All tanks are then drained. I then pour a little more anti-freeze in to a drain and down the toilet. This anti-freeze runs to the gate valves and protects them.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    DiamondGirl and Susan Premo like this.
  5. Susan Premo

Thanks, I get it, I will have to save this so we can use it. A very nice woman told me to watch going nowhere fast, also.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@kitphantom... DH wants to get the Valterra PVC tube if our new sewer hoses don’t fit. Hoses are being delivered in a couple of days. If they im don’t fit, we will buy the tube and mount it to the trailer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

7. kitphantom

We have a couple of tips about installation if you end up getting it. We had to buy an extra 'saddle, since one of the pre-installed ones was off the edge of our bumper. We also installed it too close to the back wall of the trailer, leading to some damage after miles of rough roads. we moved to away by a bit, so it's better.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

And check here also, just in case you want to do this
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/front-toung-storage-tube.127748/

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

...finished sewing up the bear hole in my screen room. Now it looks rugged. Yeah, we're going with rugged.

Susan Premo and Natureangel like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Bear hole? What did i miss????

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Not much!

Last...spring? Time has no meaning. July. Last time we went out, at a tiny remote tent only (plus one cool popup truck camper :cool:) campground, a friendly bear visited every campsite and trashcan. Apparently bears can't smell through screen because it had to make a hole. Didn't go in (because stuff was all in the bear box or camper). Just a head-sized hole and a pawprint.

FYI, a pass-through is actually nice for a zippered screen room! Screenroom entrepreneurs take note!

kitphantom, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I did. It's FANtastic!

Susan Premo and DiamondGirl like this.
  13. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I changed my TV last week, so I'm having to sort out a new ball reciever. Trouble is:-
    I need to take my PU and TV to flat ground to measure to see what drop/rise I need as my drivewayis slopped, but I can't take my PU, TV to flat ground to measure until I've added a new drop/rise receiver!! Not sure how to move on from here?? [?:~{]

14. Sjm9911

Use the old one and just pull it a bit untill its more level? On a day you can go get a new one? Its not like you will be taking it on the interstate. Or mesure where you old one was in comparason to the new one. Not easy to do of the old vehical is gone.

Susan Premo and jonkquil like this.
  15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

What's the difference between the 2" receivers on the old and new tow vehicles? There you go.

16. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I guess I should have been a bit smarter and measured it before I traded it in! Good thinking tho!

Susan Premo likes this.
  17. Susan Premo

Now that's a conundrum! Hope it works out for you.

18. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

Well can you cruise the parking lots with a tape measure and find the same model as your old TV?

Susan Premo likes this.
  19. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

• Finally removed all the 31 year old decals from the exterior.
    • Gave it a good scrub down.
    • Cleaned all the sealant out from all exterior trim and around fixtures.
    • Masked off everything. Getting ready to prime it tomorrow.
    • Bought the exterior paint, need the trim paint still.
    • Bought a spare tire cover.
    • Planning our March camping trip.
    • Planning April camping trip.
    • Planning work camping trip.

20. kitphantom

I am going to be working in the trailer today, so yesterday put the oil-filled radiator out there on low, so it warms up.

We've been working on trip planning. I got a notice that our site at Chaco at the end of April was cancelled, so quickly got online and actually found a site at City of Rocks SP, south of Silver City. (They had just reopened the reservations for NM SPs, at least in the near-term.) We haven't been the that campground in over 25 years, we got an electric site (they don't have many) in a new section. Looks to be more open than the one we had with our tent. The tend pad was in a niche in the rocks, and we had to sidle sideways to get out of the door, since that was the way the tent fit My reservations list on recreation.gov still shows the Chaco reservation, I spent time Friday trying to get it figured out, to no avail. Don't want to cancel from our end and pay the penalty, when it's not our choice.
    Made reservations this morning for our trip to Colorado at the end of August. Managed to reserve our current favorite site, where the door faces a meadow, and there's plenty of space for the solar panels to have good exposure; the trailer itself is in the shade a good part of the day.