Fee Cast Iron in Chester County PA

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Matt O, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I used to buy and sell stuff at antique stores, flea markets, and auctions with my Dad. Dad passed away last year and we liquidated a lot of stuff so that my Mom could move from NJ out to PA near me and my sister and the grandkids. I kept some stuff around because it was hard to get rid of everything. I was going to do a flea market here or there and sell some stuff.

Guess what happened......I haven't gone to any. I also came across a show called Hoarders the other day so this weekend I went into my shed and am cleaning it out. It also isn't helping that DW and I have decided to move to a bigger house so that means we have to de-clutter to sell this one.

Among other things, I have about 4 milk crates of various cast iron cooking items. I figure the camping world would be interested in cast iron stuff. I have frying pans of various sizes, a few pots (I think they are called dutch ovens but they do not have feet), round griddles, square griddles, corn on the cob looking things, waffle irons that flip around, and a griddle with round holes that I saw a friend use once with pancake batter that as it cooked you rolled it around and wound up with a hollow pancake ball that you stuffed with stuff. :)

I am never going to get around to selling this stuff and lets face it....If I had a free weekend to spend at a flea market, I'd rather be camping. So.....My retirement from the flea market business is your good fortune. Come pick this stuff up and it is yours. Yes, some of it is rusty(not all) but you can re-season it. I WILL NOT SHIP so do not ask. Trash night is Monday night and I will put it out the night of 7-11-11. The pickers and the scrappers know my house well so they cruise by every Monday night.

Let me know if you are interested and I will send you my address. I am not giving stuff away one pan at a time. If you come to my house you are at least taking a milk crate of stuff (or all if you want). You can then sell the other pans, give it away to fellow campers or trash them, I don't care. [PU]

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Wish I lived closer....dang good deal!

JJ

3. Matt O

YellowKayak, There are quite a few nice campgrounds around, you can always do a road trip and camp overnight nearby [CP]

4. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Another suggestion for you, is to not scrap the left over cast iron. Take a crate with you on the next Camping trip and ask other campers if they want some pieces. A good way to engage in conversation. If not taken by the end of your trip, leave by the campground dumpster. That's how a few of us have found items we needed.
    I think your Dad would approve.

5. electronflux

electronflux Member

sounds like you have quite a considerable collection there and maybe worth a good amount of money invested in it by the description. you'd be crazy to just put it on the curb. If any are cast with the names "Griswold" or "Wagner" they're antiques and definitely worth holding on to or selling to a collector.

6. Snotsucker

Snotsucker 2009 Rockwood HW

I may be interested depending on distance. How far are you from the Pottstown area?

7. Matt O

I know the cast iron is worth a few bucks but I just don't have the time or want to try to sell it anymore. I have done it for many years with my Dad and frankly....I am burned out with buying and selling stuff. As long as it goes to a good home I will feel good. I have someone from my antique store coming to pick up a bunch of stuff and will probably grab the cast iron as well.

Snotsucker.....I am in Downingtown PA. If you want to come pick it up, I am, I am at the corner of 113 and 30. I think I am 30-45 minutes from Pottstown.

8. Matt O

And it is gone!!!!!

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

That was a nice gesture ! BTW that odd thing that made "hollow pancakes" is called an abelskiver pan. They fill em with all sorts of goodies like apple filling...dammit now im hungry for abelskiver!

10. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Street vendors in Japan use something almost identical to that and make Tako-Yaki. Put a chunk or two of tako in it and add batter, as it begins to set they start turning them around with a bamboo skewer and end up with a. well, well the delicate call them octopus dumplings, the less delicate call them octopus balls. Add a little sauce and sliced dried bonito and you have a nice treat. They are a lot better than they sound.

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

You can get tako in Hawaii too. Most grocery stores over there had it in the deli. Good stuff too!