Fence around popup pad

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by tfischer, May 12, 2021.

1. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Short version: Looking to build a fenced-in parking pad at home for our popup, and interested how others have done the gate for such a thing.

Long version:
    So, since getting our camper in 2012 we've stored the pup offsite. We've been on notice for several years now that the farm where we store the camper is for sale, and once the sale goes through, we'll have to find new arrangements. We currently pay $15/month for this storage and I can't find anything even remotely close to that price anywhere else.

Another development is we now have a 16yo driver in the house. I replaced a car this spring, and instead of trading in the old one, decided to hang onto it for the kid to drive. Problem is, our driveway is only about as wide as the garage door and we have no additional parking. So we're looking at adding on a parking pad for a 3rd car. Along with this, I'd like to extend the pad alongside the garage and then we could bring the camper home and store it next to the garage. To make it look nicer and more secure, I'd like to build a fence around that area, with the garage being one side. The back side and longer side are straightforward, but how have others done the front/gate? I'm wondering if I should just make the front a removable section rather than all the complexities of an actual gate?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Of you dont use it much and have no need to go in and out, make the removable section. A large gate for a camper os heavy and prone to sagging, no matter how good your build is. I can walk you through an expensive gate, that is pretty good. But it still sagged a bit. Ill take some pictures when i get a chance. I use mine to acess the yard, and built it before i got a camper. But its the same idea you have.

tfischer likes this.
  3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Adjustable gate.
    I have a big, heavy wood fence gate on the side of the garage that is falling apart. Hopefully this summer of fall I am going to put in a gate like this.

tfischer and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Lol , thats what i got. And i put a few heavy duty spring ajusted wheels on it, attached to 6x6 posts. It still sagged. I will upgrade the cables when i get a chance. That should help.

5. Sjm9911

Ok, pictures. Ylu xan see one side sunk a little. It was perfectly even. I wish the system had another attachment bracket. Sag was due metal bending and or posts bending. The gate is heavy. You can maybe see where the rollers wore groves in the asphalt. Its a good system, costs a bit , but better them making something yourself. You could also use smaller dimenstional lumber then me. 20210512_194535.jpg 20210512_194524.jpg 20210512_194511.jpg 20210512_194356.jpg

neighbormike and tfischer like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Oh forgot, gate is like 4 years old now. So not too bad. Neighbors had a pro company build theres 2 years ago and its a lot worse then mine.

7. tfischer

Thanks for the info. How wide is that gate?

8. Sjm9911

Lol, i don't remember. I will say 12 feet, each section is 6 feet. Looks about right by looking at the camper. And the car. Ok your killing me smalls, i had to go measure. So 71 and 1/2 inches each side. The other half inch was probably for clearance to close and open it.

9. tfischer

Thanks. I'm thinking mine will be 10'

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Its not hard to do, just support it the best you xan and remember, its a large gate. Lol. It will probably never be perfect. Unless you use the steal poles that the automatic gates roll on. If i had the room i was looking at those also. Lol. I like to over think and over build.