fessing up...im kinda scared

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by newbiecamper444, Mar 25, 2013.

1. newbiecamper444

newbiecamper444 New Member

of staying in the pup...with as easy as of is to get into. and yes I know its the same as a tent..I'd be equally scares in that! What ways do you protect yourself?

2. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

In all honesty, I have never felt the need to protect myself while camping. Surprisingly enough, your fellow campers are "good folk". And I camp by myself all the time.

3. Lisa0nly

Lisa0nly Lifelong Camper

Welcome to the portal! I rarely hear of violence in camp areas other than from bears [in bear country] or raccoons. The criminal element is less of a threat, since most campers leave their valuables at home. I've camped 50+ years and can honestly say I can't recall a single violent act against a camper. [2C]

4. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I've slept out under the stars with never a worry and yes, I was sober.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. bigskycamper

bigskycamper New Member

I've done just about every type of camping except RV in the past 15 years and even as a solo young female was never afraid of other people, and now with kids it's the least of my worries when we go. I was shaken up after the incident on the AT in the mid-90s but still did some solo hiking a few years later and met some fantastic people, never hiking with much more than a pocket knife (and now bear spray, but that's definitely for bears!)

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I will tell you that I am WAY more concerned with the getting there and back and not my time actually spent camping. Last time I checked, camping hasn't killed me. But driving to and from work presents a much greater danger.

When I was camping in a tent, I did have trouble with some late night ruffians. The masked bandits kept trying to break into my food locker until I wedged it far enough under the picnic table bench as to make it impossible for the racoons to get into it.

In the last 2 decades of camping, that has been the worst of it.

7. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

Get a big dog! I've never slept better knowing my intrepid English Springer Spaniel stands at the ready to alert us to pending danger. The biggest danger we've encountered is six deer sauntering through the campground during a mid-day nap. He went crazy! Relax and enjoy!

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have been ground camping for over 20 years, front and back country, as well as pup camping. I go solo occasionally (there is a thread on here somewhere on that subject), occasionally on a ladies' trip w/one or another friend (we haven't been able to coordinate more than 2 schedules, yet), and most often with DH. He sometimes goes on a backpack while we're on a trip, too.
    I can't remember ever feeling a risk, though there are some places we have been that have gotten less-than-safe in the intervening years. For instance we camped at Organ Pipe NM in '90, and would not go there now. We are most often in public campgrounds, many not exactly easy to reach. That's not a safety guarantee, from the human villain stand point, but not an urban setting either. Especially when I'm solo, I try to really pay attention to surroundings, human or otherwise. We usually check in with camp hosts, if any, and have sometimes been warned if there has been animal activity in the area- such as the mountain lion one I got on one trip.
    One thing that has helped me to reduce stress is that I have developed standard ways to set up the inside of each camping shelter. They are not all the same, but similar, but I usually sleep better in any form of tent - even the pup is one - than in a hotel. My largest problem is a tendancy to claustrophobia, excaserbated by darkness, so I've had to figure out work- a rounds. As for the the ease with which someone can break in, I figure at least in the pup, I might hear them sooner than in hotel or home.

9. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

There is nothing to be scared of. As mentioned people who camp are some of the nicest people there are. There are very few instances of violence in a campground. I wouldn't recommend a firearm at a campground. Even if well trained there is a high risk that all of the intended rounds would not hit the intended target and injure/kill an innocent camper in a nearby site.

Pepper spay would be a good solution at a campground. In the restricted area of a PUP someone coming in or already in has very little room to avoid not getting hit by the spray. Many of the pepper sprays will shoot 8-10 feet and some out to 20 feet. A can of spray could easily be kept in the bunk area and is much safer than having a firearm that may accidently get handled by children.

10. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Sure no sweat. Lots of battery operated, remote controlled motion siren alarms you can buy and set by your outside step at night. Battery motion lights, easy breezy scare most anybody off and alert you to them being there so you can take a defensive position with you stun gun, pepper spray or my case..about a half ounce of lead in the air at a slow, close range, man knock down speed of about 900 feet per second.

Relax, you're at a campground among friends whom are watching out for you as you are them.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Don't cook, eat or store food in your trailer. Keep a clean campsite and dump your trash before bed. Those simple precautions will minimize the chances of hassles with animals. As for defensive items in case of human problems, an air horn or spray would be adequate. Like the others have said, campers tend to be great people and the odds are extremely high that you will never have a problem.

12. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I have been camping since I was probably 6 with my parents and now with with my DW and 2 DS (40 plus years in the outdoors and never an issue). We have never had a problem and neighbors tend to be very watchful. I make a point of saying hi to the neighbors when I arrive if we are in a campground with other people.

13. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

With decades of camping, I have never had a problem or even heard of any. Heed the advice on food prep and garbage disposal, and animal problems will be minimized.

As far as protection from two legged pests, stay in patrolled state parks until you get more comfortable. Your car remote probably has a horn button on it. That would work for curious bears too.

14. Popup Sailor

Popup Sailor Member

Pepper spray is good to have. You will probably only need it for a once in a lifetime encounter with a bear.

Camping is a family event. The kind of people that would do you harm are usually not going to be found in a camp ground. We have been camping as a family for 20 years and have never had a altercation or seen one happen. Growing up I never experienced anything like that either.

15. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Deliverance bro... Deliverance.... All kidding aside...

Always have a means to protect yourself, no matter how secure you feel you are. Predators come in many forms, and they don't prey on the strong. They prey on the weak or perceived weak. Walk with a purpose, stand tall, never look away or down. It shows the predators that you are prepared to take it to the distance. Goes to Bears, dogs, wolves and humans.

I always feel secure in campgrounds, there are too many people around to do anything stupid other than steal, but when boondocking, you have a constitutional right to protect yourself and your family. It's my suggestion that you use it or lose it.. Or become another target for someone else.

16. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

The training should be overemphasized, with everything you have.

If you buy anything, table saw, vehicle, or nail gun, drill, you should ensure that you know how to use it safely. Practice, Practice, Practice...There are morons everywhere... table saw accidents happen all the time... Vehicle deaths outnumber any other cause in this country....Drive defensively...That's all I will say about the silliness going on today.

Proper training and practice not only protects you, but everyone else in the house and around you. That pepper spray isn't a toy... Neither is any other item in your defensive system. All it takes is being a victim once, and you may or may not get another chance.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I'm wondering if you're scared because you recently watched "Easy Rider"? [:O] Remember those guys were on drugs when they made that... [2C]

18. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

No I just deal with friendly folks making honest mistakes during vulnerable times in their lives. Not saying I couldn't take a full grown mountain lion with my bare hands, its just time consuming.

I will also say here I forgot to mention the best thing to have at night.. That's a high speed very high lumen flashlight. You can get a 500 lumen flashlight from Lowes and Kobolt tools for 50 bucks. Someone unknown starts walking up blast their eyes and totally takes away night vision so you can run away or throw pine cones at them. GREAT tool for walks at night since it will blind animals as well.

19. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

Depending on where you camp/ what kind of CG, take the time to be friendly to surrounding campers. Just a friendly smile and wave while making eye contact goes a long way in establishing "community."

We have only ever had one instance where I was uncomfortable; the two women next to us went out on their speed boat and came back with two men. (how do you pock up men on a giant lake?) They proceeded to "get to know one another" while lubricating the process with a ton of alcohol. That, of course, went south, and there was lots of cussing and screaming and throwing things. A quick jaunt to the camp store and DNR put an end to it. But in all our camping (including me solo camping in nowhere, CA) that is the only thing that ever even came close to scaring me. And we were in a tent. I may have felt better in a locking pop up.

At most state parks, DNR makes frequent rounds, and you are never really alone. Even if the other campers are twenty sites down, they would hear a scream for help. Now? If you are boondocking in a strange area, I would suggest pepper spray or bear spray, maybe a baseball bat, and your tv key fob. Setting off a car alarm would draw a ton of attention, even in a forest.

Of course, I am trained with my .9mm, so... I and my husband are with Sumoman on this one.

20. newbiecamper444

newbiecamper444 New Member

I don't worry about the fellow campers - it's the morons traveling thru...see a campsite right there on the interstate & think what a great target, unarmed campers....

BUt I thought for sure I read a thread on here (maybe it was another board I was one & everyone said they had guns).