fessing up...im kinda scared

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by newbiecamper444, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

We live in a world where since the beginning of time the preditor feeds on prey. Civilization has tempered that concept to some degree but bad things happen to good people. When camping, just as much as everyday living, we rely on the odds that nothing is going to happen. And for the most part, the odds are in our favor. But, in spite of that, we still employ police officers to keep us safe, solders to keep those at bay who would do us harm from elswhere and spend billions of dollars on personal security for some unexplainable reason. Like a school zone cross walk, I'm here to tell you it is a false sense of security. Anyone can and will get run down in a crosswalk just as easy as in the middle of a busy highway. The odds are a bit less but nonetheless just as real. I do not profess a survivalist zombie lifestyle, nor do I wish to frantically preach the end is near. I do however advocate some very simple preventive measures to tip the odds in one's favor from all threats, not just human or animal but environmental or mechanical as well.

Preparedness is the key, tempered with common sense. Not making yourself a ready victim is the best defense. Protect valuables, don't flash money, keep your information to yourself and know how to fight back. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure here. The good feeling and enjoyment we all get from camping can be a mask for sound judgment. Lets not forget that while camping, you are that much more removed from the convenience first responders. Stay vigilant and enjoy.

Not doom and gloom, just trained......extensively.

Happy Campin'

J

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I look at the situation this way. There are several types negative events that can happen when you are on a road trip. Some of these are low-probability but could be catastrophic if they occur. There are mechanical issues, animal issues, human issues, possible accidents, etc. A wise person learns about them and prepares for them even though they're not likely. This isn't fear, it's prudence. Why put yourself in a position where you can't fix a problem?

I keep a clean camp to diminish the likelihood of animals (bears for example) visiting. I carry emergency supplies (cones, flares, tow straps, etc.), tools and parts so I can fix breakdowns like flat tires. I have a first-aid kit in case DW or I get hurt. I carry a firearm in case I have a problem with a human attacker. Except for the bear, none of these things has ever happened to me. I don't obsess on this stuff. I prepare and then put it out of my mind so I can concentrate on having fun.

3. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

I sure would hate to see this thread devolve into a pro/anti argument. The OP's question was, how do we protect ourselves while camping? Many of the usual and some very ingenious suggestions have been put forth. I would be very interested in seeing a posting from the OP to see which, if any, measures make sense to her.
    MR

btw- I'm pro and I do.

4. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I think you are right on target... No pun intended.

5. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I prepare for emergencies so I can sleep at night, relax at camp, and minimize my stress. Whether that is towing, driving, setup, or protection. I pride myself on my ability to overcome, adapt, and resolve issues.

I have insurance not out of fear, but out of comfort. I don't fear that I will get into an accident, I don't fear that my house will burn down, I don't fear that I will come down with some horrific disease, but I have insurance for each situation and I consider being prepared just another one of many insurance policies.

i hope the OP comes up with her own method that allows her to sleep at night, whether that is Bear Spray, a knife, a gun, or nothing at all. As long as she can get out there and enjoy herself.

6. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Well said Sumoman.

7. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Get a dog. Once he starts barking the bad element will disappear very quickly.

8. newbiecamper444

newbiecamper444 New Member

OP here...

I haven't really come up with anything yet - other than a maglight beside my bed.

I have been thinking of getting a gun for years, but dh wasn't on board for a long time - he was antigun forever (wouldn't even let the kids shoot the fake guns @ Bass Pro! [:(O] ) He has changed his mind over the last few years (he works a job where he sees a lot of crazies) & is beginning to research what to buy for us.

We'd take our dog - but she needs to be trained a bit before taking her to a campground - I think she'd bark @ every little sound & drive you & me crazy! And I'm not sure she wouldnt try chasing a squirrel or bird & jump right thru the screen of the pup!

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I would consider a non lethal option for your family. Since there is not experience with firearms as a family unit, I would recommend a non lethal option such as pepper spray, taser etc. basic security measures go a long way. Our own level of awareness reduces vulnerability and some very simple training boosts confidence a very long way. A firearm in the hands of inexperienced people only add to the level of danger and the potential for tragedy. I encourage anyone with the aptitude for weapons protection and toexercise their second amendment right. But with it comes great responsibility and constant training. A one shot residential course is not sufficient. It is merely a beginning. The whole family, including the children need to be involved and competent.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Which ever way, we are all responsible for our own security. It is up to the individual to decide the best options for themselves.

J

10. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Depends on where I am camping. I usually have a pistol with me, however never had the need for it but I plan. You never know, that being said I think I would have more of an issue being out on the open road traveling then in the actual place I am camping.

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

I've already posted my comment about camping and security on page 3. To recap I've never felt threatened at a campground.

I have decided to NEVER be unarmed again after the other day. I pulled into a gas station and simply pulled into an empty spot. A thugged out guy confronted me and told me it was his spot. I told him to go back to his car. Next thing you know he's pulling a firearm out of his trunk and waiting for me around the corner. There's much more to the story and everything turned out OK for me, however after finding myself without my weapon when I may have very well needed it really sucked! It won't happen again unless I go to California [:(O] Then it will be locked and unloaded in the truck [LOL] What a joke.

12. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

In 50 years of camping, I have never had any incident in camp, whether in public areas or remote sites. We usually cover items outside, to keep the rain off, when we are gone for the day, but nothing has ever disappeared. I have however had Coleman lanterns taken from the back of the TV while at service stations along the way.
    As stated by others, campers are a special group from all walks of life, that watch out for each other. Don't forget to say hello.

13. Seethehighway

Seethehighway New Member

Really. My husband and I will cancel our camping plans in Indiana.
    If I wanted that atmosphere, we would camp in downtown Chicago.

14. turborich

turborich Active Member

There is a big difference between the criminal thugs of Chicago and law abiding responsible firearm owners. It sounds like perhaps you should educate yourself on this topic...

15. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

You'd never know I was armed unless something really bad happens.. Otherwise my guns are like my credit card.. Rarely pulled out and seldom used. A rest assured it won't ruin your camping trip

16. newbiecamper444

newbiecamper444 New Member

Op here

Still haven't figured anything out yet...I just usually fall asleep from exhaustion...way later than I wanted.
    Camp backyard had me on edge the whole night with my dog. She barked all night, it didn't help a bit that she was hopping on & off the step. I was a nervous wreck all nght - finally fell asleep around 3:15.

17. bloozeharp

bloozeharp New Member

My sweet wife of 40yrs whacked me with a piece of kindling wood (big piece) years ago for something I allegedly said while under the influence. The folks in the next campsite thought it was quite funny, but to their credit, they tried to keep a straight face. Other than that, a scorpion in the shoe and hungry coons.

18. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Really nothing to figure out.
    Make friends with your "neighbors", lock your door at night from the inside and enjoy camping.
    I have yet to hear/read of a problem that was serious with regards to break-ins. (Drunken idiot run-ins are another subject)
    That being said, if I were in the states, I'd (and did) have my "credit card" with me at all times-legally or not. I've had too many non-camping experiences in L.A. [V]
    Rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Your pop up is your home. Not illegal, for now at least in California. It should be noted that the 2nd amendment is still live and well in the republic of California, despite the hysteria. It's ammo you can't get and something to deliver it in. If your nuts, or you had a fight with DW, Oprah will have you disarmed (was that out loud?) So, yes mam, I understand just fine is in order. Everyone is happy right?

Happy Campin'

J

20. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Was this "aimed" at someone...or are you just rambling?