Figuring out my fridge.

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by GatorChamp44, Mar 23, 2017.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Sorry in advance. First real post on the site. Just got a 2003 coleman Tacoma. Had it opened a few times to clean etc and tried to test the fridge. Plugged the pup into the house power and flipped the 120 switch and after 2 hours nothing happened. No warming of the pipes behind the fridge at all. Tried turning it to the 12 volt and after 15 minutes the pipes warmed. So I have a few questions.

Is it possible that the 120 switch is bad? Or any other explanation why 12v worked but not 120?

If the pup is plugged into a hookup and I run the fridge through the 12v switch, that will run the hook up power through the inverter and shouldn't affect the battery right?

And if so, can I plug the pup into the house and run the power through the inverter safely with the pup closed? Trying to let the fridge cool before use.

Thanks in advance. First driveway camp out this weekend!!!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I doubt the pipes were getting warm from running on 12 volts.. Here's why.. the 12 volts the fridge uses comes from either the onboard battery or the charge line from the vehicle also 12 volts should only be used while in transit, plugged into your vehicle (providing your vehicle has a charge line running to the pup, for this you need a 5,6 or 7 way plug on both vehicle and trailer) .. I realize you didn't mention either of these and I am assuming, but if it were running off the trailer battery, your lucky to have gotten the pipes warm prior to the battery being fully drained.

It has been mentioned by many others here that it can take hours and even over night for the fridge to cool down on 120vac. I would try the ac again and give it a day or so, if nothing happens then I would try out the propane (providing the fridge has that option), since this is the best cooling method for the fridge to start with, you'll see results within a couple hours.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

many PUs are wired so the converter in the power center that makes 12v, can supply enough for the fridge.

A voltmeter comes in handy to monitor a battery, the converter's output will be in the 13+v range and a battery's voltage will be less than 13v. A voltmeter can also measure 120vAC and be used to test the 120v heating element.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Thanks rabird, I think your link led me to a solution the logged off the forum issue. (Notice the missing www. in your link, i think that's it)

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I pre cool the fridge at home on lp. I switch to 12Vdc when towing. When I plug my camper in at CG, the converter fan kicks on reminding me to switch the fridge over to 120Vac. When dry camping, I run it on lp. At it's best, it will only cool down to about 30 degrees below the actual temperature. Even with fan and baffle mod. So on a very hot Southern weekend, we don't keep meat and dairy in it. We bring a small ice cooler for those situations.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I bring extra fridge which cools better than the standard 1.9 CU fridge... This fridge is used to keep food cool and the 1.9 is for drinks...

Orchid likes this.
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

run an extension cord to the fridge compartment and plug the fridge directly to the extension cord. This will isolate the 120 supply to the fridge.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours doesn't get cold enough, in any mode, to safely keep most perishables. We bring along a small fridge w/freezer and use our built in for dry food storage. Drinks go in a big cooler.

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

3 way fridge success is regional, and seasonal. When camping locally, in early spring or late fall, daytime highs are in the 60's the fridge works like a champ. When camping on the FL gulf coast in July, it barely keeps beverages cool.