Filling up at the gas station

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by robsonj, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

This is an interesting question. You don't see too many here that haven't been asked a hundred times before.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I should also have added, I use the outside lanes more, due to the height of the TT (plus the a/c unit) ..

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have only found one gas station in Arvada, CO (Suncor Energy- Shell station) on Ward Rd and West 64th that it did not matter what entrance you came in you would be at the wrong angle at the pump. It was just a small place. If I did decide to fill up we would be blocking the parking lot. We ended up just pulling on thru and went to another station down the road.

4. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

I've used the camper pumps at Flying J, convenient and you know you won't be making things difficult for non-RVers. Otherwise I scope out the place to see how 25 feet of HTT will fit. Usually use the outside lane pumps.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

The RV pumps are the Flying J Travel Centers, not the regular Pilot stations. You can get a free app to locate all the stations and tell what services they have.

The Flying J Travel Centers also do propane refills (discount with your FJ RV card) and have dump stations, too.

6. RobertGreenlee

RobertGreenlee Member

Here is another question. When towing with the fridge on propane I stop to shut off the propane before going into the gas station but my fridge has a electronic ignition so there is a chance it could spark while there. There is also no way to get to the fridge controls with the pup closed.I do feel better that my trucks filler is on the curb side and the fridge is on the other so I will always get a outside lane pump to keep the fridge as far away from any fumes as possible.I guess I could add a battery cutoff switch like many of you have done to kill the fridge totally while getting gas.
    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Can't you tow on 12 volt, and use the propane once you get to the campsite?

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Filling up at the gas station

Our TT has the same sort of thing, think all TT, MoHo's and that have a re-ignighter on the fridges... Many of these are only a two way fridge (propane and 120vac) so folks with those types of fridges generally just leave them turned on and running with the propane.. I wouldn't worry about it to much, very low chance that the fumes from around a gas pump while pumping gas could get high enough up to the level of the fridges burner box, let alone be at the right combustable mixture..

9. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

I try to use the outer pumps, and pull up far enough that someone could get in behind me for gas.... Not always possible at smaller stations... But I try.
    I do get the stink eye when I take up two pumps... What do you want me to do?? I need some too.
    I try to fill quickly and go.

Luckily I drive a ford escape... 52 litre tank doesn't take too long to fill.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

10. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I use whatever pump is available.

I also use a Fleet discount card that gets me $0.04 per Liter off the pump price at any Esso, Exxon, Mobil station in Canada and the US.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

thats why i usually try taking the outside lanes because it seems like theres always someone who dosent take your turning radius into mind and winds up boxing you in [:(!]

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Korea is different. We just pull in. It's fun to watch everyone stare because trailers aren't that common here. [LOL]

14. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I guess I've never thought about this, because, up to now, we have just taken trips 1 hr to 3 hrs from home. I always gas up before we go, and gas up the night before we leave.

However, we may make a potty/snack stop at a gas station. Since DH has mobility issues, and walks with a cane, I will drop him off at the door, and then park the TV/PUP in the outer parking lot, walk in to the station to do what I have to do, and then walk back to the TV/PUP and swing around and pick him up.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Regular fuel pumps, I drive a diesel so most gas stations have limited diesel pumps to start with so that complicates just pulling in since "one size(pump) doesn't fit all) I try not to block any other pumps.

I more so worry about pulling AWAY from the pump than getting to it, especially pumps that are perpendicular to the road versus parallel. Inevitably some dummy will block you in if you otherwise don't plan ahead.

16. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

One of my least favorite activities. Last time refueling in Las Vegas (also known as Lost Wages), vehicles entering a shopping mall narrowed my maneuverability to exit the station and turn back onto the road. Accordingly, we try to stop at modern truck stops that provide more space for TV and PUP, even if gas is more expensive.

17. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Refilling while hooked up is stressful to me until I get to the station. Once I see that I have plenty of room to maneuver, I'm fine.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

18. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I try not to block any pumps,but like other people have said, sometimes you just can't help it. With that said,I try to fill up and move out of they way if people are waiting. Sometimes you just have no choice but to make others wait.

19. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

These people failed to comply with the rule that you extinguish all sources of flame (including propane device pilot lights or fridge flames) before entering the gas station. Their experience is a great illustration of the reason for this rule.