Filling Water Storage Tank

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Indy, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Member

We don't typically fill our water tank in the pup because we camp in state parks with hookups. However, we'll be trekking out in west Texas where hookups are fewer and farther between this summer. I'd rather not add the weight for towing all across Texas in the peak of summer. Our first campground stop has a community water spigot. Would it be acceptable to hook up a hose and fill the tank from the community water spigot to save on gas mileage and put less strain on my TV?

2. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We do... as long as your are sure of your water source and your system is clean. We clean our system each season with powdered chlorine and keep a small container in our storage area. When we fill our tank we add 'a pinch' to keep the system clean and prevent the possibility of harmful bacteria in the water. We also replace the water filter every year.

Happy and Safe Camping!
    Diane

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Depending on the location of the central spigot, I pull the PUP up to it and use my hose to fill the fresh water holding tank, assuming the spigot has a standard threaded connection. I don't have a "water thief" but haven't run across a need for it just yet, either. Sometimes, that faucet is not located in such a way, so I also have a 6 gallon water jerry can that I will make the required number of trips it takes to fill up our 26 gallon capacity.

You could also possibly fill up closer to your destination, as I have done once when hitting Taylor Park in CO. I didn't want to haul an extra 215 pounds up and down the mountains until I absolutely had to. Stopped off at the little store and filled up (like everyone else does) before hitting the campground.

And as the Cakelady says, be sure and sanitize your water system before you leave home. My NTU PUP came with an algae farm last year and required removing the holding tank and a thorough cleaning before it could be used again. Left alone too long, even empty, you always clean them out appropriately.

4. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

As long as it isn't a tap in a campsite, it's there for everyone to use. Typically it will take less than 10 minutes to hook to that tap and fill your tank. I intend on doing that every trip where I don't have water hookups. I often forget when I pull into the loop. But that's the reason that I carry a water tote.

When I replaced the water pump in the pup with a WhisperKing, I used the other water pump to make a Water Transfer Pump so I don't have to lift that 6 gallon jug to fill my tank. Really helps my back.

5. Indy

Indy Member

Hmmm. In our last pup, we never used it at all. It was a 1993 and we weren't sure of the condition of the tank, so we played it safe.

This is a new pup we just bought on March 8. We left the dealer and took it straight to the SP and used it that weekend. It didn't occur to me to sanitize it first... but there were no ill effects and we all lived through it. We bring bottled water to drink, but did wash dishes and cook with it. Do you sanitize every time? We typically go out on weekends 2-3 times a month.

I'm glad to hear this is the norm. I've never seen anyone else do it this way - it seems they always tote their water from home. Seems too inefficient for me!

6. Twin Mom

Twin Mom New Member

Glad to see this post. I am always a bit nervous when I clean the tank and try to keep it clean. I have read other posts and it says to use bleach and water in the tank and let it sit for a few hours also circulating it thru the faucets. Do you do this EVERY time you go out? or just once a season. Diane, you use a pinch of powdered chlorine each time you fill up the water tank along with the bleach/water cleaning?
    We bring water to drink but use the tank for dishes and showers for the kids. Always a bit nervous not to get my family sick.
    Thank you for your help.

7. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] I purchase the bottles of water for drinking / cooking (Aldi's has em for $ 2.29 for 24 bottles) I then only use the water supply in the camper for dishes, toilet, hand washing, etc. We can put 4 bottles in the lower shelf of the fridge and then add bottles as we remove them. If I run out I have 2 options, Spring Water in the gallon jugs, just refill my 16oz bottles with that or purchase another case at the local Walmart. That way I can put vinegar or whatever in the fresh water tank to keep the germs down and not worry. One 16 oz bottle of water makes enough coffee in the pot to satisfy me. One gallon of spring water is about $1.00 and that is for 128 ounces. A couple jugs of that should meet most of your needs for a weekend-3 day campout. I shower at the bath house and my 16 gallons of camper water is more than enough to meet my dishes and toiler needs for 3 days or so.

8. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

If we're not on hookups, we always fill the water tank on-site or nearby if on-site isn't an option. No, you don't have to sanitize after every trip. Some members will sanitize once during the season just to play it safe. I just add a 2-3 drops of chlorine down the fill hose before filling the tank. It doesn't take much to provide the necessary level of protection. You need @1 PPM (part per million).

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Once at the beginning of the camping season is a must, if you intend to use the water system at all. Even if I were to only ever use the city water connection, doing the sanitizing through the fresh water holding tank still sanitizes the water supply lines that run to the faucets.

We generally don't drink from the water system, but I would feel safe with how I maintain them. We do cook and wash from the fresh water holding tank without problems.

Around here, if it's a particularly long time between camping, and being quite warm in the summers, I may sanitize before the next outing. My cut-off is about a month of sitting idle and then I'll re-sanitize. Not sure if it matters, but that's just how I do it.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I do once per season as part of the de-winterization.. If we camp someplace with questionable water, then I'll sanitize the water tank a second time..

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I sanitize once per year, before the first trip of the season. I always use the trailer's water system for cooking, cleaning and drinking. Never any problems. I refuse to "buy into" the whole bottled water thing. As for filling it, I put about ten gallons in there at home so the water heater will get its six and I'll have four to get started. Then I just fill up my jerrycans at the spigot in the campground loop, carry them back to the trailer and dump them in. It takes a while to fill the 30 gallon tank but I don't do it all at once, just a trip or two whenever I feel like it. When taking extended, multiple CG trips I let the water level in the tank drop back down the day before leaving for the next CG so I won't have to tow with as much weight in there.

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

We have always sanitized the water system before the first trip and usually once in the middle of the camping season. But we also only use the water system for everything but drinking. We fill about 4 gallon jugs for drinking and take another case of drinking water with us.
    We leave dry and fill up at the camp ground. All of the camping areas we go to have a faucet every couple of sites for use. You can only fill your camper tank and not hook up for longer than 5 minutes as per the sign on the faucets. The sign is just a polite way to inform people the faucets are a community thing.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I bought water filter from Walmart and added it between water hose and the male connector to the holding tank, it should clean out any dangerous things from the water source. Then the water is clean enough to drink or whatever you use it for..

14. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

If you are using a water filter to remove the bad stuff, get a 0.5 micron or smaller to do the job. The standard 5 micron will not catch a lot of the crud.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone ever really gotten sick and known for sure it was their water system? Seems to me if the tank is sanitized every so often, there really shouldn't be too much to worry about. It's not like the tank is full of raw meat, it's just potable water in a closed system.

I'd be more worried about questionable ammonia fridges, hand sanitation and going anywhere near a black water system than I would the fresh water tank.

Just my [2C]

16. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We have a filter, too, but you still have to sanitize your system periodically, especially if it has sat stationary for a period of time.

Diane

17. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I read quite a while back that a member suggested using the powdered chlorine vs. the liquid. Since we had a pool for many years, we were quite familiar with it. Powdered is a higher concentration and is more stable than liquid. You don't have to worry about it bleaching fabric, unless it is wet. A 1# plastic canister will last you years if you are just using it for your water system. We store ours safely in the front locker of our camper year round. I think it only takes a tablespoon to sanitize our 20 gal. system (I'll have to check my notes, but they are in the camper) at the beginning of the season. (Add chlorine, fill tank, turn on all faucets to get water into all lines, top of tank, let sit several hours or overnight, run tank dry. System is sanitized, you are ready to refill.) However, when we fill up anywhere besides our home, we don't always know the 'true source' of the water... it could be well water, and who knows when it was last 'tested'. I play it safe and add just a pinch of dry chlorine whenever we fill up. "Montezuma's revenge" is not something you want to experience when camping, or any time!

Diane

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I sanitize the water system when I dewinterize the trailer and sometimes once mid point of the season or when I end up with "questionable" water ...

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

As for filling at the campground, you should check what the campground information states. We have camped in some places where you are requested to fill water tanks before you arrive. In some cases, the water for the campground is trucked in; Dead Horse Point SP and Canyonlands - Island in the Sky, UT, for example. Even though we just use water jugs, we try to have everything full before we head to those campgrounds. We have camped in others where water is not available at all.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

At Natural Bridges National Monument there is only one public water spigot. It is right outside the Visitor's Center and it has a sign that says: "Limit of 5 gallons per campsite per day." So, each day, when returning from a jaunt, I'd stop and fill my jerrycans to the limit and then dump them into the trailer's tanks when I got back to the campsite.