Finally able to join you!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fandwfarmgirl, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Fandwfarmgirl

Fandwfarmgirl New Member

We have been tent camping for the last ten years. My husbands dream is for us to all backpack into the mountains for a week, but mama needs a bed :)
    So for Christmas he purchased us a 1996 Flagstaff. We are on our maiden voyage now, have a great time! But a bit cold...
    We are looking forward to learning and exchanging ideas here!
    One happy camper,
    Shelley
    [​IMG][/URL]

2. sallugo

sallugo Member

Welcome from Tucson AZ!!!! Congrats on your new Xmas present!!!! What are the temps looking like?

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228D
    2004 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome from NM.

4. Fandwfarmgirl

Fandwfarmgirl New Member

It was in the upper 30's this morning. We just didn't have the heater on and we have a few "air leaks" we need to work on... I don't think it would feel so cold if it wasn't misting. And we are all toasty now that we have the heater on :)

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[CP] Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

6. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Welcome from central IL!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

7. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

Welcome from NC. I certainly can relate to the "mama needs a bed" but I am greatlful that the DW has camped with me for the past 42 years, the last 3 with a PUP. Enjoy, and "Happy Trails" to you.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Hello and Welcome from Nashua New Hampshire

9. Laborndeliverrn

Laborndeliverrn New Member

We also got our pop up for Christmas this year (although it wasn't a surprise and we bought it in November). Nice to "meet" you!

10. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Hot or cold air leaks? [;)] Congratulations and Welcome to the Portal.

11. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Welcome from New Jersey!

As issues arise with your new to you pup (not to scare you...but everyone has an issue from time-to-time!) you should definately use the collective knowledge of the folks here on the popup portal. I have found everyone here to be very helpful and supportive.

Enjoy your pop-up! It's the best camping decision I ever made!

12. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Welcome from Northern New Jersey.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Air leaks? as in drafty or ??
    Also, remember that you need to maintain some air circulation and ventilation to prevent condensation, especially in damp conditions. With our previous pup, which had vinyl fabric, we had to leave a couple of the window zippers ajar. (That pup had no furnace, so we used an electric space heater if we had power; we tried to find sites with power if camping in cold weather.) In the Cobalt, with Sunbrella fabric, we needed smaller openings, since the babric is breathable.
    With both, heat/cold retention measures helped a lot - Pop-up Gizmos (PUGs) outside, PUGs bunk end liners or fleece clipped in the bunk end, throw rugs.

14. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Welcome to the Portal and congratulations on the BEST Christmas present ever!

Highly recommend the Super High Wind version of Pop-up Gizmos (PUGs), they keep you cooler in summer and warmer during cold weather camping.

Happy camping!!!
    Diane

15. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Your power cord looks like a standard household 13A to 15A power cord, possibly plugged into a 30A adapter.

On your trailer's roof I see an air conditioner. Those typically require at least a 20A fuse, which means they need to be plugged into a 30A outlet with a 30A cord. So before you ever use that AC unit, you will probably need to get ahold of a 30A cord.

As for cool weather, the trailer may have a furnace, but since you have electrical hookups in that photo, you could use a space heater or two. Space heaters consume up to 13A, providing about 5200 BTUs. Furnaces common in pups are typically between 16000 and 20000BTUs. So your space heater(s) will probably need to run all the time at night to keep temps reasonable, but the good news is that you'll be burning the CG's electricity rather than your propane.

If you run a single space heater, your existing power cord may be sufficient. If you need to run two of them, you'll either need 30A, with space heaters plugged into two different circuits in the trailer, or two power cords from the pedestal. On a recent trip I hooked the trailer up to 30A service, and then ran a separate cord from the pedestal's 15A service directly into the trailer for a space heater.

Also, Popup Gizmos on the bunk-ends and Reflectix in the bunk-end windows will make it a lot easier to keep the pup heated.

16. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

You I highly recommend using a electric space heater as your main heat, with your pups furnace as the back up should the electric heater not keep up.

We set our space heater to a comfortable level. Then adjust the furnace to a point just under where the space heater is set.

You pay for electric when you pay for the camp site. Why pay for propane when you can heat with electricity.

If you have children, watch the placement of the space heater. Keep it out of the way of blankets and clothing.

Happy camping

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Welcome to the portal from South Central Virginia!!

Remember, for specific problems, use the Search feature above. You'll be amazed at how much info will jump back at you!!

Happy Camping!!

[:D]

18. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Under the slide-out dinette (if you have one) is the perfect place on my trailer to set a space heater. Whether it's being used as a dinette or as an extra bunk, it's unlikely anyone will trip over the heater if it's placed there, and even if a blanket falls off of the dinette when converted to a bunk, it's not going to fall onto the heater. Plus, it puts the warmth in the middle of the trailer where it can provide equal warmth to each of the bunks.

Anywhere else, it would be getting kicked and tripped over frequently.

I've never used a PUP without a slide out dinette, but I suspect that even with a stationary dinette it would still be a good place to set the heater.

19. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

[:)C] Welcome from Wisconsin!

20. RaiderSteve

RaiderSteve New Member

Welcome from Riverside, CA