Finally brought one home! (SE PA)

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
After a few posts here, I weighed all my options and went with a new Rockwood 1640LTD from a local dealer. First outing is scheduled for Oct 15th (very end of the season in PA) so I'm sure we'll get some use out of the furnace. When going over the camper at the dealer the mechanic was showing me how to drain the holding tank under the bench. When doing so, the drain hose that extends down underneath the floor snapped off and we had to drain the tank by running it out of the faucet. They spun a new valve on the tank while I waited. I was also very surprised that all of the electronics and wiring were in the same compartment as the holding tank. Seems like a real dumb design and a disaster waiting to happen. I'll likely never use the holding tank but the plumbing still runs through there regardless.

The first thing I have to figure out is how to get some light outside the camper. There's no outlet outside and no step light.

e7jP2Os.jpg

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Welcome to PopUpPortal from another SE PA camper.

Oct 15th (very end of the season in PA)

Not so, still a few weeks to go after that and can be some of the most beautiful weeks of camping. Check out Hibernia County Park in western Chester County. Just don’t take site #8, that’s mine!

Enjoy your new camper.

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Welcome to PopUpPortal from another SE PA camper.

Not so, still a few weeks to go after that and can be some of the most beautiful weeks of camping. Check out Hibernia County Park in western Chester County. Just don’t take site #8, that’s mine!

Enjoy your new camper.
I was basing that off of the season dates on some of the state parks in my area. Hickory Run as an example goes through 10/14. Gifford Pinchot where I reserved a spot is through 10/31.

I really only have experience with reserving spots at state parks in general. The dcnr site is familiar to me and easy to figure out what amenities are available. My fiance requires a bath house and electric at minimum (even though I'm fine without).

Hibernia County park seems pretty cool based on the google maps images. Could you share a picture of the RV sites at Fiddler campground? Do they have bath houses and electric hookups? Any other suggestions for mid october camping in a 2 hour radius of the Lansdale area?

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
Congratulations on the new camper! As far as light, maybe a battery powered LED light could be mounted outside near the step or just placed nearby. Quite a few to be found cheaply on amazon.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Congratulations on the new camper! As far as light, maybe a battery powered LED light could be mounted outside near the step or just placed nearby. Quite a few to be found cheaply on amazon.
Something I did was buy a 12v strip light installed around the lip of the roof and tapped into the ceiling light wires. So now with just a push of button on the remote I have lights. I bought dimmable and multi color so when I'm done needing a bright white can dim them way down and change the color so it's not as harsh but still bright enough to get around. Strange the new camper didn't come with a light or outlet. I would have thought that was standard.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Sorry, no electric or bath house, it’s what is called “dry camping” or “boondocking”. Also known as “real camping” [LOL] (he says as a fan blows cool air on him, powered by the 30v hookup of his campsite).

There are portapotties at the campground and modern facilities close by in other areas of the park.

46AD8716-A4C0-437F-AC7D-AD5B00988309.jpeg
Hibernia last Autumn

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Sorry, no electric or bath house, it’s what is called “dry camping” or “boondocking”. Also known as “real camping” [LOL] (he says as a fan blows cool air on him, powered by the 30v hookup of his campsite).

There are portapotties at the campground and modern facilities close by in other areas of the park.

Hibernia last Autumn

Haha that's gonna get veto'd then. I'm used to real camping as I do an annual canoe trip through the Gap; a two nighter with riverside hammock camping. She, on the other hand, needs somewhere to shower and blowdry her hair lol!

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
welcome!! The electric stuff near water is a common thing. our entire converter and distribution panel in our previous HW277 popup camper was just below the city water inlet and the water filter (which is known to bust/leak).... you bet i bypassed that water filter.

looks like we will be at Gifford the weekend before you - we use Gifford as our season ender (Columbus day weekend) - we get a full hookup site and are able to winterize the camper there. (other half of us Gals don't do cold weather camping LOL).

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
welcome!! The electric stuff near water is a common thing. our entire converter and distribution panel in our previous HW277 popup camper was just below the city water inlet and the water filter (which is known to bust/leak).... you bet i bypassed that water filter.

looks like we will be at Gifford the weekend before you - we use Gifford as our season ender (Columbus day weekend) - we get a full hookup site and are able to winterize the camper there. (other half of us Gals don't do cold weather camping LOL).
I've never been to Gifford before. It was a nearby state park that had availability. If Hickory Run was open that late in the year, I'd probably be camping there. What things would you recommend to do while we are at Gifford?

Dan F

Dec 31, 2020
Mont Clare, PA
After a few posts here, I weighed all my options and went with a new Rockwood 1640LTD from a local dealer. First outing is scheduled for Oct 15th (very end of the season in PA) so I'm sure we'll get some use out of the furnace. When going over the camper at the dealer the mechanic was showing me how to drain the holding tank under the bench. When doing so, the drain hose that extends down underneath the floor snapped off and we had to drain the tank by running it out of the faucet. They spun a new valve on the tank while I waited. I was also very surprised that all of the electronics and wiring were in the same compartment as the holding tank. Seems like a real dumb design and a disaster waiting to happen. I'll likely never use the holding tank but the plumbing still runs through there regardless.

The first thing I have to figure out is how to get some light outside the camper. There's no outlet outside and no step light.

e7jP2Os.jpg
Welcome from Phoenixville, PA!

I have a RF 2514F, a little surprised you don't have an outlet or awning lights...

Hickory Run is great, you'll love it. We do a lot of camping at Blue Rocks family campground in Lenhartsville - great hiking, pool, activities for tiny humans, etc.

I've also heard good things about Lake in Wood, but haven't been there yet.

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Welcome from Phoenixville, PA!

I have a RF 2514F, a little surprised you don't have an outlet or awning lights...

Hickory Run is great, you'll love it. We do a lot of camping at Blue Rocks family campground in Lenhartsville - great hiking, pool, activities for tiny humans, etc.

I've also heard good things about Lake in Wood, but haven't been there yet.
Hi neighbor! I've tent camped at hickory run many times. It's great. Nice disc golf course there.

The 1640ltd is pretty bare bones. The dealer did install AC, an electric lift, and a 100w solar panel which is cool I guess.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
Sweet! How are you liking it? Any nuances with yours to share?
We love it. Just my son and I so it’s plenty for us. One mishap , the cord that holds the travel door under the bunk broke while sleeping one night. It hit the ground. Had to use a mallet to bend the corner of the door back. Just adds character . Lol. I’m planning on taking the water storage tank out. I never see myself using it. Btw the ac is awesome. Very cold. The heater kept us warm at 24 degrees F along with the heated mattresses .

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
We love it. Just my son and I so it’s plenty for us. One mishap , the cord that holds the travel door under the bunk broke while sleeping one night. It hit the ground. Had to use a mallet to bend the corner of the door back. Just adds character . Lol. I’m planning on taking the water storage tank out. I never see myself using it. Btw the ac is awesome. Very cold. The heater kept us warm at 24 degrees F along with the heated mattresses .
Good to know the heat can keep up! I was considering bringing an oil radiator for our October trip but maybe I'll leave it behind

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020

e7jP2Os.jpg
Congrats...fire up that furnace a few times before you go...burn off some of that new odor and cure the enamel on the furnace grill...ours almost gagged us and the windows came open rather quickly...lol