Finally brought one home! (SE PA)

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
I've never been to Gifford before. It was a nearby state park that had availability. If Hickory Run was open that late in the year, I'd probably be camping there. What things would you recommend to do while we are at Gifford?
that late in the year, the swimming area will be closed. There is water activities such as kayak, canoe and fishing. Biking around the campground is nice - not too hilly. There is hiking and frisbee/disc golf (there are 2 18-hole courses). Check out the park online for some of the programs available or when you check in- there is information telling you what ranger programs they are offering that weekend.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
After a few posts here, I weighed all my options and went with a new Rockwood 1640LTD from a local dealer. First outing is scheduled for Oct 15th (very end of the season in PA) so I'm sure we'll get some use out of the furnace. When going over the camper at the dealer the mechanic was showing me how to drain the holding tank under the bench. When doing so, the drain hose that extends down underneath the floor snapped off and we had to drain the tank by running it out of the faucet. They spun a new valve on the tank while I waited. I was also very surprised that all of the electronics and wiring were in the same compartment as the holding tank. Seems like a real dumb design and a disaster waiting to happen. I'll likely never use the holding tank but the plumbing still runs through there regardless.

The first thing I have to figure out is how to get some light outside the camper. There's no outlet outside and no step light.

e7jP2Os.jpg
Welcome. That's a good looking rig. I'm glad to see that you have the rear stabilizer jacks down. If they weren't, you'd be in for a big surprise when you got up on the rear bunk. Don't ask me how I know. Also, you might want to consider installing some Stabilizer jacks on the front as well. I did!

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Welcome. That's a good looking rig. I'm glad to see that you have the rear stabilizer jacks down. If they weren't, you'd be in for a big surprise when you got up on the rear bunk. Don't ask me how I know. Also, you might want to consider installing some Stabilizer jacks on the front as well. I did!
Im surprised it dont have front stabilizers..mine came with them...i like the no bed support poles on mine...but his is a better looking rig...my colors are bland...would like to see interior pics

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Good to know! Thanks for the tip!
Yours rig is a lot like mine with a few differences...can you post a few interior pics?...i like to compare whats changed since 18 when we bought ours new...i like your exterior paint scheme a lot better than ours.

Attachments

• 20201008_155750.jpg
    20201008_155750.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 9

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Im surprised it dont have front stabilizers..mine came with them...i like the no bed support poles on mine...but his is a better looking rig...my colors are bland...would like to see interior pics
My Viking was built in 2003, and it did not have front Stabilizer jacks when I purchased it second-hand in 2018. The previouse owner was using vehicle jack stands for support up front. I added front Stabs after my first camping trip. The jack stands were a pain in the rear.

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Yours rig is a lot like mine with a few differences...can you post a few interior pics?...i like to compare whats changed since 18 when we bought ours new...i like your exterior paint scheme a lot better than ours.
So yours is the coachman version of the one I have. Both made by Forest River. I looked at both new and ultimately chose the Rockwood over the viking clipper bc of the overall fit and finish. The clipper I looked at was pretty sloppy (could have been a Friday afternoon/ Monday morning build). I like the cable support bed system that you have over the poles but not a big deal either way. Other than a few minor details I don't think there's much difference btw the two.

Pictures from pre delivery

Attachments

• PXL_20220805_231522255.jpg
    PXL_20220805_231522255.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220805_231531255.jpg
    PXL_20220805_231531255.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220805_232213107.jpg
    PXL_20220805_232213107.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 8

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
So yours is the coachman version of the one I have. Both made by Forest River. I looked at both new and ultimately chose the Rockwood over the viking clipper bc of the overall fit and finish. The clipper I looked at was pretty sloppy (could have been a Friday afternoon/ Monday morning build). I like the cable support bed system that you have over the poles but not a big deal either way. Other than a few minor details I don't think there's much difference btw the two.

Yep..pretty much the same even interior colors..your sink galley is on the opposite side as mine...not much has changed since 2018..
Coachmen does have better exterior colors now and finally added a indoor/grill and porch light.
Mine has had no problems but like you said earlier a the holding tank under the 1 dinette seat i dont like...takes away from more storage and we never use ours much.
Does yours have AC?...one thing that will help is putting reflectix in your windows and get some pop up gizmos for your bunk ends...helps in cooler months as well.
Congrats again...good lookin rig

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020

Yep..pretty much the same even interior colors..your sink galley is on the opposite side as mine...not much has changed since 2018..
Coachmen does have better exterior colors now and finally added a indoor/outdoor grill and porch light.
Mine has had no problems but like you said earlier a the holding tank under the 1 dinette seat i dont like...takes away from more storage and we never use ours much.
Does yours have AC?...one thing that will help is putting reflectix in your windows and get some pop up gizmos for your bunk ends...helps in cooler months as well.
Congrats again...good lookin ri

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
What the heck...double post...moderators can you remove one of them??
Thankyou

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Coachmen does have better exterior colors now and finally added a indoor/grill and porch light.
Congrats again...good lookin rig
Yes mine has AC, 100w solar, and electric lift (LOUD). I will likely never use the holding tank but will leave it be until I need a reason to rip it out for extra storage. I've seen the gizmos and reflectix on here and i think that's pretty cool. Will wait to see if I have a need for that stuff though. What size awning mat did you get for yours? Is that a 6x9? Looking at a bunch online and can't decide on size.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri

Carbon copy of mine.

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
My Viking was built in 2003, and it did not have front Stabilizer jacks when I purchased it second-hand in 2018. The previouse owner was using vehicle jack stands for support up front. I added front Stabs after my first camping trip. The jack stands were a pain in the rear.
Yeah I don't like that there's no front stabs on it. My old coleman had the drop down feet that you stick a bar into and pump down 2 or three times. I wish this one had similar. I don't like the scissor style stabs. I may pick up some of these drop/swing stabs from etrailer in the future.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Yes mine has AC, 100w solar, and electric lift (LOUD). I will likely never use the holding tank but will leave it be until I need a reason to rip it out for extra storage. I've seen the gizmos and reflectix on here and i think that's pretty cool. Will wait to see if I have a need for that stuff though. What size awning mat did you get for yours? Is that a 6x9? Looking at a bunch online and can't decide on size.
Mine came with it its a dometic 7×7 and is too small..It dont block much sun or rain...when my soulmate goes with me i have to use it...when i go solo i dont use it...if you buy one i would go with bigger.

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Mine came with it its a dometic 7×7 and is too small..It dont block much sun or rain...when my soulmate goes with me i have to use it...when i go solo i dont use it...if you buy one i would go with bigger.
Ha yes I get it about how small the awning is but I was asking about the mat underneath

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We use a 10 X 16 mat, for most of our camping. I also have a 8 X 12 that we carry also when we know that we are placing our kitchen further from our PUP on longer camp stays, 5 days or more. See you on the trail.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Ha yes I get it about how small the awning is but I was asking about the mat underneath
Sorry...its a 9 x16 we bought on amazon it has a different pattern on each side...like $35 if i remember...i didnt want one but had to eat crow...it catches a lot off your feet and dries quick when it rains....once again my soulmate was right...lol

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Southeast, PA
Sorry...its a 9 x16 we bought on amazon it has a different pattern on each side...like $35 if i remember...i didnt want one but had to eat crow...it catches a lot off your feet and dries quick when it rains....once again my soulmate was right...lol
That blue mat in your picture is 9'x16'? Isn't your box length only 8ft?