Finally did it!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by thethird152, Mar 19, 2015.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

After months of deliberation, disappointment, excitement, research, reading, reading, reading, we finally pulled the trigger today. Put the required deposit down on a 2011 Evolution E1. I took a bit of a risk and bought it without physically seeing it first (although I have tons of pictures) - it's a gamble, but these things are hard to find! I'm willing to deal with things not being perfect.

We go pick it up Wednesday of next week and we can't wait!

Apparently, the frame on the Evolution series takes non-standard hookups for WDH (which I plan on using) so I'm off to figure out what I need to get to haul this baby home!

Anyone that cares to provide any input on the intricacies of towing this particular model is more than welcome to chime in.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at a rally or two!

Paul

2. betancourtfamily6

betancourtfamily6 New Member

Congrats! Those Evolutions are cool looking...

3. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Sweet - we did something similar when we bought our Fleetwood Utah. Post pics when you pick it up.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You don't say what TV you have but you probably won't need a WDH to tow the empty trailer. The TW of the empty trailer should be less than 500#.

5. thethird152

My TV is a 2005 Tundra, 4WD with the big V8 in it. I could have sworn that was in my signature line....guess not.

Empty weight on this camper is around 2,400 lbs. I'm debating towing it home using just the hitch I have and electric brakes to see how it pulls, then getting a WDH if necessary - haven't quite decided.

There will definitely be pics from Camp Driveway as soon as we get it home!

6. thethird152

Hey Customer, just realized that by "TW" you meant "Tongue Weight" and yes, that will be sub-500 lbs.

7. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Congrats! Enjoy it, and many happy camping memories.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Glad you found an Evolution.

9. thethird152

Thanks kitphantom! Had a deal all sealed up on a Cobalt in FL. The seller was adamant that he had babied it and it was in great shape, but I peppered him with all sorts of questions anyways. After three days of going back and forth, I finally asked him "It sounds like you really love this thing, and that you've taken great care of it - why are you selling it?"

He mentioned that he and his wife had a 5th wheel so no longer needed it. The next day he changed his mind about selling it - lol! He told me he got to thinking about it after I asked him that question and just didn't want to part with it. Lesson learned!

We're excited about the E1, and excited it's a 2011. It's a 6-7 hour drive each way to go get it (not QUITE as far as NM) but I think it will be worth it.

Here we go!

10. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Congratulations and Welcome. No way will you need WDH empty. Maybe not even loaded unless you get tongue heavy because of the design. We use a friction sway bar with an Avalon and have no issues. By the way there is a BIG Evolution thread here on the Portal.

11. thethird152

Thanks Bigpopper - my biggest concern was towing it home - once I get it here I can really go through it and determine what I need, but I think you're right, just hook to the ball and tow it home should be fine.

I've read through every page of the Evolution thread :)

12. thethird152

When I first joined this forum I had already been researching PUPS for some time. I came across this place and found endless amounts of invaluable information that helped answer most of my many questions. When I joined up, I put on my profile "I feel like I'm about to spend some money....." [LOL]

Well, I was right. We go pick up our NTU PUP on Wednesday, so I'm gathering up all the things I think I might need to run this baby through its paces in camp driveway. So far:

30 ft, 30 Amp extension cord - $50
    Dog bone adapter - $10
    Dry Silicone Spray (for lubricating the lift pulleys) - $3
    High Temp grease (for lubricating the screw on the lift mechanism) - $4
    Wiring harness for my TV - $35
    Brake Controller - $150
    Can Opener - $7
    Marshmallow Toasting Forks - $3

The last two are items that DW finally broke me down on - she's been trying to buy enough stuff to fill the camper and we don't even have it yet [:D]. I had to give in on these two items to keep her satisfied until we can get the thing home and see how much room we have inside.

So, I'm 3 days away from even getting the camper, and I'm in almost $300....sigh LOL! I'm not actually complaining, this is going to be a great adventure, and I realize I will sink some money into this fun - I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

A few more things I have on my list are:

White water hose
    Coupler lock
    Awning (this is not included in the sale of my PUP)

These are just to get the PUP to testable status - I plan on fully testing everything before we take it out on our first camp - if I'm going to have a fire, I'd rather have it in my driveway than boondocking 30 miles from anything helpful. After all systems are go, then we're going to really start shopping (sheets, kitchen stuff, etc.)

We're pretty excited if you can't tell.

13. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Nice! You will love the E1, they are tough looking not to mention excellent road clearance compared to many. Check the date code on them tires though, highly recommended as many of us have had blow outs depending on the tire. I have a 2010 E1 towed it home 100 miles with a 4 banger Taco.

Pull it with a 1/2 ton Ram now and I use a WDH. Why? No I don't "need" it but let me tell ya. Once ya run with one you won't without. Properly set up the only way you know the trailer is back there is the load on your engine. Frankly about any frame hanger WDH will work on your E1

Here is the Evolution thread on the portal...

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=37191.0

Also GREAT info and help here on the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/161546153918383/

I did all kinds of fun mods to mine. Just shot it signal stage white to match the Ram. Evolutions owners are a special breed LOL Post pics when you get it home bro!

[​IMG]

14. thethird152

Thanks HiFiDave - I actually read your repaint thread just the other day - it looks awesome!

I will be the first to admit that my initial draw to the Evo line is the looks - man they are good looking.

Glad to hear you towed your E1 home with a 4 banger - I shouldn't have any trouble at all with my V8 then.

There will be lots of pics come Wed. evening :)