Finally, my LED's are in the Pup, here are the numbers

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Wrenchgear, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

So a lot of people are confused on what type on LED's to put inside the Pup for interior lighting. I myself have been struggling with this topic for a few years. Are they too cold and white?, are they too dim or bright?

Regular household interior lighting has kind of been a constant for the last couple thousand years or so. A small nightlight in the kids room is about 4 or 7 watts. Table lamp probably had a 60 watt in it, or if that was a little too bright, you put a 40 in there. Out in the garage, you might have had a 100 watt. These were all incandescent bulbs. They were also probably warm white (colour), although nobody referred to them as that. If you had a 4 ft long florescent tube in the laundry room, it was some where around 25 watts and called cold white.

These all take a lot of power to operate. If you are boondocking, or dry camping without power hook up, you can kill your on board battery in a few nights with these types of bulbs. So it would be great to switch over to nice energy efficient LED 'bulbs'.

The problem with swapping all your stuff over to LED's, is that none of the numbers seem to jive with the old stuff. You now have to consider 2 different numbers when picking out a LED to use. A number rating in 'kelvin' (colour), and a number of Lumens (brightness) that you might want.

Kelvin numbers are usually in the 1000's, but what does 3000 mean as compared to 4500? Heres a bit of a chart that I came across a while back.

Lamp Color Name

Warm White

2700-3200K

Similar to incandescent bulb, yellowish light best for accentuating skin tones and color of wooden objects

Friendly, warm, inviting, intimate, relaxing

Best for areas that need low light intensity like Bedrooms, lounges, restaurants, office lobbies, boutiques, reception area etc.

Natural White

4000-4500K

Similar to early morning sunlight, Xenon lamp for automotive use

Neat and clean, Natural tone

Best choice for high light intensity applications like Surgical lights, indoor photography, Laundry, Office etc.

Day White

5500-6000K

Typical day light, Flash light.

Crisp light, efficient, brightly lit, natural outdoor

Retail stores, Factories, Printing, artist studio, Schools, Offices, indoor grow lights, photography

Cool White

7000-7500K

Best contrast but least flattering to the skin, may need mixing with light from a warm white lamp.

Bright light, bluish light

Special applications needing high light intensity and good color rendition like art Galleries, museums, showcases fro precious stones and jewelry

Next is Lumens. That is the brightness. I've made this chart over the years. It's not 100% accurate, but its pretty close.

Watts --------------Lumens
    4 -------------------- 20
    12 ------------------ 75
    25 ------------------ 190
    32 ------------------ 290
    40 ------------------ 450
    60 ------------------ 800
    75 ------------------ 1100
    100 ---------------- 1600
    150 ---------------- 2600

My Pup interior lights originally were #CEC1003. That's basically an old 1156 tail light bulb out of your car. Same base, slightly smaller glass bulb, same brightness output as 1156 (13 watts), warm white. I had 3 of these in the ceiling, and 1 in the porch light.

After looking and thinking and losing sleep, and day dreaming, I finally made a decision on what to buy. I went to Amazon.ca (thats where I went, I'm not suggesting that you go there), and found a 12 pack of LED's for $19. The numbers on them are 3000K warm white, and 198 Lumens of brightness. I thought that they might be too bright, but they look only slightly brighter than the CEC1003's. I put them in today, and compared them to each other in the dark with all other lights turned off (front garage lights because Pup is in the driveway right now), and they are perfect. They have a nice warm colour, not cold white like some previous ones I tried, and are perfect brightness. It all looks exactly the same as before, but my battery should last much longer.

Doing the math for the amount of amp draw shows that the LED's draw approx 1/6th the amount of draw that the CEC1003 incandescent required. My LED's draw .15 amps and the CEC1003's draw .93 amps. I should actually clamp an ammeter on the wire and check for real, but thats what the math shows.

So if you're wondering about numbers, this is what I put in and they look great, I'm very happy with them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    KamperKel, Sjm9911, BelchFire and 2 others like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here are two of the many charts I have posted over the years...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KamperKel likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Think the leds I put in the TT sit between 1800 and 2400 kelvin and are only 200-300 Lumens... Bought all of them off of Ebay from China about 4 years ago, still working great..

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Thank you both for sharing the info!

5. Canadian Campers

Canadian Campers New Member

Sorry, maybe I missed it somewhere, but what was the actual part number you got?
    Was it like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMQMOUU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3SSSAAVNON3BJ&psc=1

6. Wrenchgear

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I'll be doing this in the future.

8. Canadian Campers

Canadian Campers New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So I installed these last night and I am quite impressed. They were a little harder to fit in the slot, but carefully I was able to make them seat properly. They are much brighter than the incandescent bulbs I replaced.

9. BuddyRich

BuddyRich New Member

From that link, which model did you get and how do you find the brightness and the quality of the light colour?

Ignoring the 1157 model, there are 6 different 1156 items. 3 warm white, 3 bright white. Of the warm white 1 is an 18 LED array, the other other a brighter 27 LED array and then finally a "high quality" 18 led array?

Im a fellow canuck looking replace his LEDs. I only need 7 total. (2 per interior dome light. 1 for each fan/light and the outside porch light).

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I used different styled led"s in the TT from what Wrenched used, but I went with warm white.. If you look in the first two posts in this thread, you should be able to determine which style (type) you want, Always ask the retailer what the kalvin and Lumans ratings are, it is really the only way to get the look of the light the way you want it.

11. BuddyRich

BuddyRich New Member

I know I want warm white (wife is not a fan of the "blue" pure white light). Just wondering on the brightness in terms of lumens were if the 18 or 27 diode lights were better. Also wondering about heat. Some of the cheaper LED don't use a resister so will get hot, especially when on AC vs. 12vdc, the cheapers ones on that listing don't mention a 10-30v operating range, meaning they don't likely have a resistor. Their premium ones however, do.

12. Wrenchgear

I used the first option shown in the link, 1156 18SMD Warm White. The numbers on them are 3000K warm white, and 198 Lumens of brightness. So far so good on quality and light colour. Brightness is good, almost exactly the same as what came out of there, I was hoping for a little bit more brightness, but they're still good.