Finally tired of tents. Pop up curious.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Adrian Thompson, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson New Member

IT does have a steaming hot furnace, but no AC.

Broadening our search to Grand Rapids and Toledo as well.

No desperation to buy in the next couple of weeks, but we're booking a trip out East from Auus 28th to Sept 6th taking in Boston, Salem and Cape Cod.

2. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Just watch the weight, including the tongue/nose weight. I have seen 12' pups with TW over 400 pounds!

We are a family of four, with a 2 and 5-year-old. The only thing we find lacking in our 8' box Palomino is storage space. There are only a few cabinets. They hold what we need for setup and cooking, but there's not much storage for food and clothes.

We use Sterilite drawer units for that stuff. One that we set outside with cutlery, paper plates, cooking utensils, etc. and two of the wider three-drawer units for all of our clothes. It is actually kind of nice to pack up those drawer u it's rather than bring along a duffel bag for each of us, which just ends up cluttering the pup.

Years ago, I had a bigger pup with built/in storage for clothes, including a stand-up closet. It was nice, but I don't miss the extra weight. I am towing with a Subaru Outback and an old Benz wagon. Both have their limits, especially in regards to TW.

Good luck!

3. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Number looks like the only decent one ..
    Number two the price seems way to good to be true.. I'm sure any toyhauler would cost more then $2000 unless the unit was completely trashed, this one looks in good condition..
    Number 3 looks like it has had a hard life.. canvas falling down of the track.. appears to be forsale by someone who doesn't care about the trailer..

5. Adrian Thompson

Wow, well we've been looking at various campers but still no luck. The good ones keep selling before we get to them (well I assume they are the good ones!!). we've seen some very tired campers and some quite frankly disgusting ones. Is it too hard to clean the stove or in one case toilet before showing the camper!!!

What do people think of the NADA guide pricing for older campers?

The best camper in terms of condition, size, layout everything is a 2003 Starcraft. They want $4,300, Looking at NADA it seems like it should be around $3K or less. We offered $3,500, over NADA, but I think fair. They are not budging below $4,200 so no deal. It's been up for a month now so I guess we're not the only ones who think its over priced. It's in absolutely outstanding condition through.

Also checked out new pop up's at General RV. I liked the size, layout and price of the Coachmen Clipper 108ST, but my wife really wants a slide out dinette and the largers ones take a massive jump in price and add AC and a toilet/shower that we don't really want. Also while they have some nice features (protected underside. Tension wires supporting the bunks from above, heated beds etc. They seemed to have some really cheap features like easily scratched plastic sinks etc. I don't think we want to take the hit on a new camper either. They did have a two year old 1285 and I did not like how worn it looked in such a short space of time, it looked much worse than the 2003 Starcraft I mention above

BTW, thank you all for taking the time to help out a new guy.

We are already planning our first trip before getting a camper. Mi to Salem MA to Cape Cod for 9 days.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

NADA is a guide.. it doesn't take into account the actual age v.s condition..

It use a set depreciation value per year to determine price. Meaning NADA will show a 20yr old trailer at XX dollars regardless of condition. This time of year in the Northern parts of the Country I would say depending on condition you could easily get an extra $500 to $1000 off the NADA price..

The other problem with NADA is it is too easy for someone to inflate the price by selecting options that were in fact standard equipment.. Best way to find the true NADA price is to try and locate the original brochures for the year/make/model your looking at and use only true options for the NADA pricing..

7. Adrian Thompson

So, update time. We have a pop up :)D) a 2003 StarCraft 2407

In the almost three weeks since I started this thread we’ve looked at so many campers I’ve lost count. It turns out that possibly we should have bought the first camper we looked at. It was a 2000 Rockwood slide out for $2,500. But being the first one we looked at we wanted to think it over. On the way home we both agreed we should buy it, but I wanted to do some more research before jumping. Too late, before we even got home the guy texted us it sold for full price.

The camper we bought was actually the second one we looked at. We loved it immediately. It was in perfect condition. We would find out over the next few weeks that although it is 13 years old, it’s in better condition than some 2-3 year old units we looked at. We also loved the interior layout as soon as we saw it.

[​IMG]

The pros were:
    Slide out
    It's dry weight is 2,100lb's so even fully laden it should only be 2,700lbs max. While the current Explorer Sport can tow 5,000lb's, we get a new car every year and I want to protect for a smaller SUV tow car in future, this should be safe behind and Edge or Escape.
    Sleeps 6 easy, 7 or 8 without issue.
    We really love the ‘U’ shaped lounge at the front. This was the only camper we saw with that feature, new or used or even in most out of state ads.
    We also specifically didn’t want a toilet or shower which this doesn’t have. They add weight, maintenace, leak potential etc.
    This also doesn’t have a water heater. This was something I was ambivalent about, but what I saw looking at units was once they were 5-6 years old, even if the roof and canvas was perfect, many times there was rot in the floor boards near the water heater. So on reflection I’m happy this doesn’t have one. I’ve gone 46 years boiling water in a pan or kettle while camping so I’m happy doing the same now.
    The condition. It looks good in pics, but then so do many, this is really in great condition, as I said better than some 2-3 year old units. Little things, virtually no scuffing or marking, the rubber caps to keep dirt out of the gas line to the indoor or outdoor stoves are still present. The current owners had stored it inside and were obviously anal about it. The only used it for relatively local camping so had not done the brakes or wheel bearings in 5 years so they will need checking before our first long trip.

So why didn’t we buy it when we first saw it? Price. They advertised it for $4,300. We offered $3,500, figuring we would go to $3,700 or $3,800 in a pinch, but they would only budge to $4,200. No deal.

So we kept on looking. We saw stuff with rips and tears, bad smells, rotten floors, dirty toilets and stoves never cleaned. We saw nice stuff too, but nothing resonated and we found ourselves comparing everything we saw back to this unit. We also found that everything that appeared comparable in condition tended to be newer (2007-2010) and they normally sold before we got there for $5K +/- $500 (Confirmed by asking the sellers what they got, normally selling for full asking price)

So we came back to this. NADA says it’s probably only worth $3K, but after seeing what’s for sale and what’s selling condition is way way more important than age. So we called them again, haggled and agreed on $3,900. We would have spent more than the $200 difference in what we wanted to pay in time and gas to continue looking.

So here it is at home. Our first time leveling and raising it last night at home took just shy of 25 mins, I’m sure we’ll have it down to 15 after a few tries.

We really want to go out in the next couple of weeks, but we have a ton of work to do on our rental house so our first trip will be a total of almost 2,000 miles from here to Salem MA, on to Cape cod then home again at the end of August.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

REady to Roll. Backing up is a doddle compared to my utility trailer.

[​IMG]

One thing I didn't show here is the awning, that is nice and big with virtical posts rather than ones that come back to the side of the camper like many, far less likely to walk into them that way. Also I like the outside stove being next to the door. A) it's convenient there and B) unlike most others, not being at the end and next to the edge of the awning, you will stay more dry there if it's raining.

The only thing we would have liked that more modern units have is a full width front storage box with external access. I will look at adding something myself.

8. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Congratulations on your purchase! If you want to camp but can't get away, do a camp backyard. Drive it around the block, back it in, set it up and start camping!

9. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Congrats!!! [:D]

Thanks for the pictures, that is one great looking pup (and family) you have there!

10. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

Congratulations! That's a great deal. Well done on all of the research you did (we didn't and paid the price).

Camp driveway!

11. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Member

Welome from Cass County, the other side of the state.
    I don't have a brand I favor over another, I feel they all have thier pro's and cons. For example, easy of entry, while many have the slide out step others have the drop step travel door, (the travel door turns into the step) offering a large plateform. Is it a one piece door or 2 piece where you have to remove and store the travel door. This and other things are mostly person choice, but can mean liking or disliking.

Advice I'd give is pay close attentions to the seams and seals. Look for repairs and overly caulked areas, touching, pushing. Take a flashlight to look into the dark places normally left unseen. If possible look at the cables, pullys ect on the lift system. Don't be affraid to crawl under and look at the welds on the frame. And look at the roof in a down position.

When buying a preowned unit, automatically figure on replacing the wheel bearings, seals, and all 3 tires unless you have proof of them changed, repacked, ect.

As I have been told, inspect it as you would when purchasing a house, it is in effect your home away from home. You can change your location, but do you want to have to rebuild the foundation? When you find the one for you, per experience, it drops in your lap and everything falls into place. (You know its yours when it gives a love nibble n you need a band aid lol)

Good luck and happy searching.

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

So, are you back yet? Have fun? Have any good stories to tell?