Finding a short. Tips wanted.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by MyName, Mar 5, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Battery post and ring lugs a made to be used multiple times, so you're good. I have a small solar panel, from Northern Tool, that I leave connected. It's under the camper cover, but it has enough solar to flash the little light to indicate it's charging.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

3. MyName

MyName Active Member

but I'm not working on my phone. ha ha, ok bad joke.

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

So I still have an open circuit on DC only. The lights flicker just a little on DC. If I bypass the converter and connect the hot only to the my "USB" circuit hot the lights work great. I installed the USB circuit directly to the battery myself. The problem is that I won't be able to use the lights with AC. I think i should take the USB circuit hot and connect it to the converter . If the lights work I'll just run a new line to the converter and leave the old 'bad' line. I will still connect the bad line to the battery, because i think it charges the battery when connected to my car.
    Any thoughts?

5. MyName

MyName Active Member

Ok, found the open circuit. it was a vampire clip hidden by the electrical tape on the 7 pin connection. Tested the lights for a few hours on DC and everything looks great. on the plus side since I've been tracing wires I now know what wires to tap into for my refrigerator fan install.

FYI I have replace many wire caps, and I installed the ground buss bar.

Thank you for all your tips and suggestions.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Good to hear that you finally found the culprit. Those dang connectors should all be thrown in the garbage!