Finished my rooftop bike rack.

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Austin694, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Austin694

Austin694 Member

[​IMG]

Just wanted to share the bike rack I built over the weekend. Got our three bikes as well as our toddler trailer. I borrowed the design from this thread http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=89378.msg884822#msg884822

Only difference is I didn't use the angle iron on the sides as my camper doesn't have right angles on the roof. And I used some felt pads on the bottom of the wood to avoid scratches, as well as painting the wood with some rubberized undercoat paint I had lying around in the garage. Turned out pretty good for about $65 in materials. I'll try and get a better picture up as well. I always forget to take pictures until I'm done.

Attached Files:

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, that'll work!

Nice job!

3. Austin694

Austin694 Member

Thanks, dubbya. Here is a better close up pic.

[​IMG]

4. JT105

JT105 Member

Looking good!
    One suggestion is to put some no-slip material under the felt pads to keep it from shifting. Perhaps the stuff for drawers and cabinets is really inexpensive in the kitchen area at Walmart. Just cut it with scissors and put a piece under each 'foot'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Austin694

Austin694 Member

Thanks JT. I'll give that a try. I just picked up a few roles of it from the 99 cent store to put under my roof bag.

6. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I like the rack.
    If you get some strips of metal, you could also bend up wheel mounts for the front wheel.

I have a Taos as well, my battery is farther forward on the other side of the jack. What is the small box infront of your battery?

7. Austin694

Austin694 Member

Thanks.

I was thinking that as well. For now I think I'm just going to lash them to the bikes or stack them on the bike trailer.

The little box was some kind of extension for the trailer plug. I have since removed it as it was keeping my brakes from working.

8. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Look at the Thule "Wheel On" either to buy or for concept. They're not too pricey. I used to own a few when I was WAY into racing. Yakima has one too, although I'm not sure what it's called.

9. SlimL

SlimL New Member

That is a very interesting rack. Great concept and should work well. A combination of your rack and a front rack on the A Frame and I for sure wouldn't have to drill. Cool.

10. Captainkdp

Captainkdp New Member

Nice alternative to the pricey roof racks. I'm gonna build one of these now.