Fire-Poking Stick

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by froggie, Dec 4, 2012.

1. electrician549

electrician549 Member

My DW is the fire tender and sometimes it was a challenge for her to find the "perfect" fire stick. We went to a 18th century market fair that had a blacksmith and she fell in love with a nice locally hand made fire poker. I grump about the extra weight when the woods are full of fire sticks but am scared to death that it may accidentally be left behind.

2. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We use the long handled "weenie" fork as a fire poker. The guy I dated before my husband kept an old golf club (an iron) in his car trunk as his trunk wouldn't stay up. When we would go tent camping, the golf club was the poking stick

3. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

I always leave my poking stick. I also whittle and smooth the handle too so whoever comes after us gets an extra nice one.

4. arffch

arffch Member

I usually have a pair of welding gloves in the truck. I also have a homemade poker ( scrap re-bar) that i keep around for cooking with the smoker. Its been a long time since I have used a stick as a poker. Thanks for the memories from the tent camping days, including the scout trips from YEARS past [:D]

5. txsherry

txsherry New Member

HMM.... SCAer?

6. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Yes, leaving pokin' sticks and and firewood is quite neighborly

7. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I leave firewood that we didn't burn, but I carry my own fire stick. It's the handle of a shovel that I broke off.

No, that's not it. You just say "I hate rabbits" and the smoke will immediately head another direction.

8. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

My best poking sticks came from along a stream or river, stripped of bark and about 1-2 inches in diameter. :)

9. elizabeth583

elizabeth583 Member

We used to always leave our poker stick near the fire pit when we packed up, and appreciated it when the previous campers did the same. Last year, too many times we arrived on site to find no poker handy, so started bringing our own with us and taking it back home.

10. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

Many years ago had handle from a broken shovel. I have packed that thing around for many many years of camping. Now to be honest the last trip I went on left my poking stick so now I got to go out and find a new one .So I can pack that stick around for many many more years

11. Casidy

Casidy New Member

In know here in Washington they are requesting you buy your firewood close to or at the campground so we always leave it with another camper or at the site. The poker stays in the loops of the fire pit.

12. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

I usually pull one out of the water the first day we are there. If I like it enough, I'll keep it - like one of the previous posters, us adults usually each end up with a stick, so we always leave at least one.....

13. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We have a son who likes to play in the fire. He used to look for sticks then one trip he decided to use one of the roasting forks. Eventually all the superheating he did caused the U (fork) to break off. So that is now officially his fire poking stick... sadly we can not leave it for the next camper as our son would be heartbroken if he didn't have it to play with next trip... and I would be out another $7 for a new fork every trip! lol [CP]

14. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I don't use a stick to stoke the fire. A long time ago, I made a set of fireplace tools and they are always packed with us.

15. Tofer76

Tofer76 New Member

always heard it was saying buffalo

16. steved

steved New Member

Same here...a piece of 3/8" steel rod with a hook bent in the end has been in my camping supplies for over 15 years now...as well as a set of welding gloves to work in/around the campfire while cooking.

17. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

If I find a decent poking stick, I leave it on the back of the pit for the next people. Since I'm learning the fine art of cooking over the fire, I'd Ike to find some actual fireplace tools cheap.

18. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

When I put my fire out and place water on it I poke the stick in the pit handle side up. This serves multiple fold, I know my fire is fully extinguished after stirring water in the ashes and leaves a marker for where the fire pit was and that I didn't start the forest fire, also lets me know if anyone use the campsite since I was there last, and makes easy grab for next persons fire stick

19. Trishypoo

Trishypoo New Member

My mom totally said that to me growing up! I now say it to my boys !

20. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually look around and it sometimes takes awhile to find just the right pokie stick, then I whittle it down while sitting around the campfire Then I fire harden the end and use it for as long as we are camping (even on canoe trips) The last official act before we depart is i put the pokie stick in the fire.

jnc likes this.