Fire Starters

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by CampChaos, Nov 24, 2012.

1. shirlchap

shirlchap New Member

I thought about trying it at home but was afraid it would gunk up the wood stove flue.

2. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

Works great in my wood burning fireplace. No issues or mess (surprisingly).

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Any kind of kindling from a good old fashioned hatchet. I always Carry a magnesium block in the backpack if I need to Bear Griles it. Bristoled cedar bark is a great starter and pine pitch will take a spark in a hot second. If all else fails, despite a gallon of gasoline poured all over the place, toss a lighted smoke out the window of a moving car and watch the whole county burn without even trying. Wood stove at home get news paper and kindling every time.

J

4. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

$3.00 = 100 fire starters in under 5 minutes
    (visit a dollar tree or similar)
    100 pack Large cotton balls
    1 jar of petroleum jelly (vaseline)
    1 aluminum shallow pan

place/scoop jelly into pan, heat (on stove or grill) until melted to liquid ( about 2-3 minutes)
    remove from heat, mix in cotton balls thoroughly, until saturated. let cool
    store in sealed container, or ziploc bag.

when ready to use, remove 1 cotton ball, fray one end for a wick, place at base of fire, and light.
    1 cotton ball will burn from 5-8 minutes

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Corn chips will also burn for a while.

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

In no particular order................ cotton balls and Vaseline........... dryer lint ............. hand sanitizer ......... them gobs of pitch you see hangin' off the sides of pine trees ............ Lays potato chips

7. BroRobin

BroRobin Member

My campfire starter of choice (if all is dry that is): Newspaper looesly balled/wadded up (save the comics to read while working the fire), PINE CONES, and small sticks and twigs (sort of arranged TeePee style over paper and pine cones). Light the paper and add forced air if needed (i.e. blow on it [;)] ). Works for me.

8. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

If the OP is talking more about wilderness/backwoods/survival fire starters, then I'm in with the suggestions for dryer lint + a flint shaving tool for ignition.

If we're just talking about starting a fire in the USFS fire ring, then +1 to the above comment:
    A few sticks of kindling, a few chunks of wood, a bunch of lighter fluid, a match, and you have a fire. No need for paper, lint, cotton, etc.

9. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Cotton balls dipped in melted paraffin wax works pretty well.

10. catmanblue

catmanblue Only thing better then fishin is campin and fishin

I was complaining about our Sweet Gum tree dropping all those little balls and a friend of mine told me the balls works good for starting fires. Haven't tried it yet but I did rake them up for next camping season.

11. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Every couple years we make a bunch with egg cartons filled with chainsaw shavings from some wood cutting, then soak it in paraffin wax from old candles... We melt the candles in a mini crock pot (about a 2 or 3 cup size) we got at the thrift store for $5, we only use it for melting wax. If we make 8 or so cartons at a time they last for several seasons each fire takes maybe 1 or two to start and gives a good flame for a long time so larger wood can fully catch without a lot of babying.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I assume these are cardboard egg cartons. They are getting hard to find by me, most are styrofoam.

Tom

13. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Yes cardboard, if yo can't find them, diners or small breakfast joints will prob have the cardboard trays which hold 30 eggs.

14. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

a $1 bottle of dry gas is a CLEAN solution too.

I have poured a 1/4" worth, into a aluminum soda can bottom (cut out), place under a wood tinder or teepee to get fire going

15. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

westarted useing the egg carton and dryer lint this year and are working on makin them over the winter season been saving lint and egg cartons now looking for wax things woork good next im gonna try cutting small pieses of pine board and soaking in deisel fuel see how they work

16. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

For wax you can usually get a bag full of misc candles and pieces from a goodwill or salvation army store for a buck or so. And yes cardboard type egg cartons - never styrofoam.

17. froggie

froggie New Member

Neat idea. I always save dryer lint, but add vaseline and you've got a fire for sure. Thanks. I always bring lighter pine, too. You can find it at most campgrounds, if you look and sniff hard enough. It really works if there's been some rain and to get things going quickly in the early morning.

18. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

I keep a shoebox above our dryer. I stand empty TP tubes in the shoebox. When I clean out my lint trap, before each load, I stuff the dryer lint into one of the TP tubes. I have one full shoebox of free/recycled fire starters with my camping supplies ready to go while I am continuously working to make more! :) I usually put about three of them side by side and use small sticks teepeed on top. I've had great success!

19. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I bought a case of road flares at an auction 10-15 years ago...I don't care if its a monsoon and my fire pit is under water always have a fire.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

20. shirlchap

shirlchap New Member

I love this idea. thanks for sharing