Firewood Fiasco

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by natty bumppo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. gruss

gruss Active Member

before all this, i didn't mind just buying at campgrounds...we went to a few that it was actually very reasonable.
    After the EAB it's just expensive and I'm considering getting a propane fire pit instead of paying 5 bucks a bundle for a bunch of un seasoned wood

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

OOh! Gruss, I just bought a propane fire ring and LOVE IT!! It doesn't throw as much heat as a bonfire, of course, but you can sit closer and not get a face full of smoke every time the wind shifts!!

Check eBay...I got mine there for $50 + small shipping fee. Better still, if you live near an Academy Sporting store, check to see if they have any left they haven't clearanced out yet. That's where the ebay guy got them!! I'm making a road trip to one of two stores within a few hours from me next Fall to get in on the goods!! While my Sewer Rally was happening, a few of our folks rode up to one or both of them near Charlotte, and got some great deals on some cool CI stuff too!!

You'll love the fire pit...just shop for a good deal because they're all the same. eBay, at the time I got mine, ranged from $50 to $149. Who would pay $149 I don't know, but shop!

Good luck!

[:D]

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I'm sorry, I'll have to plead the 5th on this one.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I just use this stuff:

http://www.all-woodbrand.com/

It's a manufactured product made from the scraps of a local cabinet maker... all hardwood, no junk in it. Burns great. 40 pounds of it for like $10. Fed a wood stove for 5 nights with it on a hunting trip.

I don't mess with whole wood any more. I fill an Action Packer at the beginning of the season and refill it every so often.

5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Sounds good wish they were down here in Southern California.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Do they ship it out of AK into the Provinces or the lower 48? Looks interesting. You say you refill your action packer 'every so often'. How big is it, and how often? How big is 40 pounds and how long does that last, (hours of fires)?

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

This is a picture of my Action Packer at the end of this season...

https://goo.gl/photos/j7qK3Z8xgiZPrjHo8

I can fit a 40 pound bag in the Action Packer. A 2-3 hour campfire usually runs be about 6-8 pounds, depending on how big I want it. Lights easy. I use one of the sticks per fire just to not mess around.

I'm not sure if they ship, but it would be costly at the weight of the bags.

Lately, I burn more of it in the fire pit on my deck then camping, but I just leave the Action Packer in the truck for the season and have it if we feel like a fire, and I have a couple of bags in my shed for the fire pit.

Their website might have info on shipping... I just pick it up at their shop or at the local farmer's market when I'm out.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I will agree that if campgrounds offered firewood at reasonable prices (dried), then folks would be more likely to buy it there and not incentivized to bring their own. I bring my own quite a bit of the time out of state but it is not regular wood. It is actually kiln dried separator wood from things like water pipes and other things that get shipped. It starts around 1.75" square and can go up to 4" square depending upon the material that was being shipped. I use the smaller stuff and I cut it to precise length with my miter saw and put it in a box. One box is enough for 4 or 5 fires. The wood is always some type of strong dense hardwood. This meets the definition of safe wood based on the kiln drying and dimension lumber specs. I'll eventually run out of it, but I have enough for about 5 more years and I have been using it for 10 years. I started with a 4' cube of the material. It is the only thing I use it for. Bugs do get spread from firewood because some folks don't pay attention to their wood and don't know it is infected, so it is better to be safe than sorry. But, campgrounds could go a long way towards helping that if they just provided decent wood at a reasonable price.

9. Canufixit

Canufixit Member

Living in Central MA I can Attest to the 10's of thousands of trees that have been infected, removed and ground up to kill the bugs and eggs.. Whole neighborhoods with beautiful 100+ year old street side trees were removed. The Nice little neighborhoods were reduce to a hot stuffy, no shade "new development" stripped look. Not all trees get chopped but anything that is infected - or - high on the bugs menu (i.e many harwoods are not really a good meal for the bugs). All Tree services in this area require Special licenses and Permits to remove any trees in the affect areas. Fines and other punishments are in place to those caught.

I'd not want to be the one who brings bug/egg infested wood to an area (Especially my home and neighbor's trees) and have someone find this was the source of a new out brake. The pain, pissed off neighbors, paperwork, loss of trees and attempts to re coup the $$'s would not be on my list of things to worry or fight for the savings of a few dollars.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yes, the threat is real. From my own limited observations the reason most people state for bringing their own wood is to have decent wood not to save money.

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Duraflame logs

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

According to the Duraflame website:
    "DuraflameĀ® firelogs are not designed nor intended for use as a cooking fuel. "

13. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Pennsylvania lifted the ban within the state a few years ago. You can't bring wood across PA state lines but you can cross county borders since PA wised up and realized a ban won't stop it from spreading. I always bring firewood with me within the state. I refuse to pay for something that I have plentiful in my backyard (5 cords to heat my home) that I acquired for free. At campground firewood prices I have a fortune in my backyard.

Old picture but I have made many trips with that tough little truck full of wood. [PUT]
    [​IMG]

14. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

The EAB certainly causes campers to do ridiculous things, such as:
    -- Buy USDA "approved" wood from Home Depot, wood that's been imported from three or ten states away at a cost of shipping and vehicle pollution, for $6 to $8 per cubic foot.
    -- Buy USDA approved wood from a gas station, which has also imported its wood from several hundred miles away for $6 to $8 per cubic foot.
    -- Buy wet wood from a campground for $6 to $8 per cubic foot, and get a weekend of hissing smoke with no heat.
    -- Buy a propane torch and pretend it's a campfire.
    -- Sneak around with firewood carried from home, even when it's not ash wood (I have a pile of hackberry that has been drying for four years, and it burns great).
    -- Camp with no fire at all.
    If the transport ban was narrowly tailored to ash firewood, it might seem more reasonable. I'm sorry the firewood police aren't adequately trained to tell the difference between ash and hackberry or walnut or oak, but they should be.

That said, we'd all be healthier without wood fires. As appealing as they are, they produce smoke and airborne particles that are worse for our health than tobacco pollution.

15. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Yes, but you still have the DCNR telling you to "use local" and you still have plenty of private campgrounds enforcing the rules they make up themselves to sell you their wood. I even know of one that cuts wood on the property and sells it, green, for a ridiculous price. They expect to search you when you arrive looking for firewood. Not sure what problem they are solving other than possibly a low bank account balance problem.

Even when the quarantine was in effect it was not in effect for sawmills that cut/split/sell firewood. oO you had commercial operations, licensed by the state, that did not have to follow restrictions placed by the state and federal governments, but campers were expected to follow it. The mill near my house here south of Pgh, could sell and haul a truckload over to Chambersburg crossing 5 or 6 county lines legally, yet the buyer could not haul it back to a State Park here? Does that make any sense at all?

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I doubt there's a definitive answer. In my section of the US, there are entire mountainsides covered with dead tress, due to bark beetle. Some of the campgrounds we've used have been basically clear-cut, since the dead trees are a danger for falling. Coupled with several years of drought (which exacerbated the bug issue, apparently trees can resist to some degree, as long as the weather is OK), our fire danger can be tremendous. There have been some huge wildfires in the last few years, and "spread like wildfire" is no joke.
    When we were at RMNP a couple of years ago, we asked what a blue paint dot meant on the huge ponderosa pines. We were told those were the trees that they had treated in a effort to save. The treatment is expensive, needs to be injected in some way and so trees had to be chosen for it. There is no way to treat large swaths of
    trees.
    Personally, we've never had a wood campfire - I could probably still make one, I grew up making fire at our cabin. Too much work for me, and my asthma hates wood smoke.I end up using my rescue inhaler because of smoke from campfires and wildfires. We finally bought a Little Red Campfire, which is handy, but even that doesn't get used as much as I thought it would. Still nice on chilly nights.
    In addition, there is another illness in some areas, which spreads through the roots. Again, campgrounds have been clear-cut. With that one, one of the first signs the trees are infected is that they fall down.

17. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

While I have a fire ring yet to be used, while planning a trip to Colorado, I looked at destinations on Google earth. A description showed to look for the beetle damage to the trees that remained. It was like moonscape! Or what a forest fire leaves, only not black. Whole side of mountain denuded of trees, sad to see the loss of that beauty.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The area near this year's Colorado Rally was part of the West Fork Fire Complex a couple of years ago. The fire stopped not too far from the campground, in some ways that's surprising, on our previous visit (the year before the fire) we had noted how much tinder there was in the trees.
    The campground a couple of miles toward town, on the same road, was still closed this year. The hill behind it was burned over, so the danger of flash flood and landslide is still high. However, since Colorado had a wet summer this year, it was great to see the vegetation that was already coming back. The trees won't be the same in my lifetime, but the beauty is already returning.

19. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Yes, I noticed this in September ... found a sign that said the U.S. Park Service treats more than 5,000 signature Ponderosa pines inside the Rocky Mtn NP with carbaryl every year to save them from pine beetles.

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member