Firewood? Purchase at campground or bring from home?

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by tntom, Dec 29, 2009.

1. tntom

tntom Member

Just curious where other campers get firewood. We have been purchasing our wood at the campground. Three dollars for a small bundle. We usually burn about three or four bundles each night and another two or three bundles each morning. No fire during the day in the warm weather. We have considered purchasing a rick of wood and keeping it stacked at home but our neighborhood is a breeding ground for black widow spiders and we don't want to take them camping. The wood at the campground is very well seasoned, cut to a great size for burning, and is a mixture of hickory and oak. Also, is $3.00 a bundle a reasonable price?

2. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Please buy where you burn. That's a motto up here. We have gotten an infestation of Japanese beetles here from people bringing firewood to the campgrounds from away. It helps the local economy, and prevents the spread of pests that aren't native to other areas.

3. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

Good point on spreading the pest. We are lucky to have a pretty good supply of old oak pallets that we breakdown and cut into 12 inch length and take a couple of bundles with us. But with all the rain and wind last season there has been plenty just laying around the camp. We checked with host and they say if its on theground we can use. Just no chainsaws please.

3 to 4 dollars is what a bundle at cg runs. Christmas dinner at my sis house and she had 10 six inch candles in the fireplace instead of wood....didnt have the same affect but could work I guess if firewood was short.

4. tntom

tntom Member

I'm pretty sure I started this "thread" needlessly since it has already been posted by several others at earlier times. I wasn't aware that "Campfires and Firewood" was in the forum. Sorry.

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

That's okay. Many times a post like this brings in fresh and new information.

6. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

I buy at the campground or a local store. Many times firewood sales at the campground help fund some of the conservation efforts, so to me it is a good deal.

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I chime in on this if I'm right or wrong. First off buying firewood locally is not going to stop moving any invasive or native species, either plant, insect, animal, or anything else. Help......maybe, stop.....no way, make you feel better?.....maybe. Not when you have commercial lumber companies and BillyBobJims cut and seasoned wood LLC moving product around from county to county, and state to state. I can go on for hours ranting about this and believe me I have read everything I can find on it. But what it all boils down to is you have bureaucrats, be they local, state, or federal, trying to deal with a problem using rules and regulations. And the problems primarly started because they did not enforce the import regulations already in place. So who pays????????, the little guy as per usual. The low man on the totem pole, the guy on the first rung of the ladder, you and I. When you buy "local" firewood where is the guarantee it is local? Do they give you a legal and binding document? As an example, read up on "Emerald Ash borer" at the PA Dept of Conservation site and the USDA regarding quarantines. Then go to Pittsburgh Craiglist, do a search for firewood, and see all the listings from sellers who will sell you a load and deliver it from a quarantined county to a non quarantined one, and that makes my case. Where is the enforcement? These guys and other larger commercial operations are moving more product around in a week than you and I will move if we camped every single day for the next 30 years. They are not following any rules and regulations. If they are they are only going through the motions for the most part. The "local" guys deliver the same wood to commercial sellers and campgrounds who then sell it to you. It could end up being from 100's, even 1000's of miles away. And by the way $3 a bundle is a great price without even seeing the size of the bundle. Here they charge $7 for what I will burn up in an hour. I am talking about 16" long split pieces that fit in a 2' X 2'-6" box. I use that much just starting the fire. At those prices a campfire would cost at least $28 a night, which is close to the site cost. If you have black widows at your house I would bet the farm they are also at any campground within 100 miles of your house also, its there natural habitat. Sorry for the rant, I have a firewood fetish and a real problem dealing with legislative stupidity when it ends up with some politicians hand in my wallet. So that is the old geezers take for what it is worth. I don't mind "doing my part" but give me a break. 30 years ago when camping with my parents there was none of this firewood horse poopage. The trees still look the same where we camped. The State themselves cut down more trees running a sewer line for the campground host, than died in the last 30 years from any disease in the entire state park.

8. turtle

turtle New Member

I do tend to stop by the CG locals for firewood. Mainly for ease of transport and secondly because it's against the law to transport between most counties. While I agree that my small amout of firewood may not have an impact it's the law and I adhere to it. The CG stores are a little pricey, $5 a bundle, I usually burn 2 bundles a night. I've always been able to get a fair amount from a local for a fair price. I usually spot one on the way to the CG and set up and go back while the DW gets the small stuff set up.

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Well that is all and good Turtle if it makes you feel better obeying the law to the letter. That is what any of these laws regarding firewood and quarantines is supposed to do. I am not directing any of my miserable old geezer rant at you in any way Turtle by the way. All they are is a feel good measure. Another case in point. I just went to Craigslist, Northern panhandle of Ohio section to see what I could find doing a search for firewood. What I found was an ad from someone here in PA, a few miles from my house actually, listing their wood on the Ohio site along with "will deliver anywhere". You do not need to be Albert Einstein to figure out he will deliver you a load on out to Ohio no problem. The small towns he lists here in PA, which you can assume is where he is located, are in a quarantined county. And it even gets better......."LIHEAP accepted". Now you have someone who will deliver a load of quarantined wood to a non quarantined County, or even another State, and to boot if the person buying is on assistance, poor, or just a plain bum, the same government who tells you can't move the wood is footing the bill. Great isn't it? All with our hard earned tax dollars. Hahahahahahahahaha. That is the problem with all of this BS. Now what they should do is totally outlaw firewood. And while they're at it might as well outlaw oil, natural gas and every other thing. We would not even need a pup then. We could camp in a cave and instead of this forum we could write back and forth by chipping text into a large rock with a small one. Don't mind me, I'm weird.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We purchase firewood at the CG's or from locals where ever we go. While up in Acadia we purchased from residents near the CG and it was really cheap but nice firewood. $2.50 bought 6 nicely split pieces along with small tinder and small pine starter pieces. We also found plenty of birch bark as fire starter (from dead logs on the ground of course). We burned eveything we bought and nothing came home with us.

We do not want to help spread the bugs and also do not want to transport/pack firewood. I think the problem is people who bring wood and don't use it all and leave it.

If you have never seen the damage the Pine Bark Bettle can do just look at Yellowstone NP. We thought a fire had gone through and killed many trees only to find out it was the bettle! A friend of ours has a few acres in Wyoming and needed to cut down a few trees this past summer because of the beetle.

11. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

For firewood I use in my home fireplace, there is no option to get it "locally" as I live in a city and you just can't go cutting firewood from your front lawn. I bring my firewood in from about 50 east of town from property owned by the family. I just picked up a load when we were visiting at Christmas. Again, if I did not bring it in, I don't know how I would get it.

12. Csea

Csea New Member

Well back in Saskatchewan, they have wood for free they used to charge 3.00 a day just to have a campfire but people got mad and they got rid of it. They are responsible for keeping the pile stocked. I found that when they charged the campfire fee that there was NEVER any wood so we have gotten into the habit of taking some wood with us. Usually its those fire logs that you buy at the store.. but a fire is a fire.

A funny story When they charged us the 3.00 a night fire charge (that we had already paid) after going to get wood from the woodpile unsucessfully (there was nothing it was bare) and then complaining all day about it for nothing to be done (no fire during camping we were not happy) I took the truck went to my friends farm and brought some wood for us back with me. I got told i wasnt allowed to bring the wood in to which i started telling off the parks person that i had complained to the day before that there was no wood, we have kids with us and that we paid to have a campfire and because there was no wood for a campfire we couldnt cook anything (mcdonalds is not camping). I ended up walking away with a free night and was able to bring in the wood.

13. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

I agree with Old Geezer. The ban on bringing your own firewood is ludicrous. Banning campers from transporting wood makes little to no difference in the spread of invasive pests as long as the large commercial sellers continue to transport wood illegally.

14. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Interesting read. I have also thought the ban was useless as the CG gets its wood from the cheapest supplier.

I also try to find it locally as opposed to the CG because the CG prices are to high. $3-4 per bundle for 2-3 decent size logs, 1 plank for kindling and sometimes a small fire starter. If I am purchasing the firewood from the CG, the wood should have some decent kindling or provide it. I have started bringing my own duralogs and use them to start the fire because I have gotten tired of the wood not burning well and using more kindling than I do at home to get a fire going.

When I used to tent camp in PA there was a local spot that the owner let people camp for donation and he would put wood in a big pile from trees he cut down. Once the local CG's shut him down I found a local that had a 2' wide x 3' long x4'high for $5 and I would get 2-3 bundles for the couple days I was there.

I continue to search the areas around the CG's for firewood to keep the costs down.

15. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

we bring enough junk, we don't need to add to the tow weight with anything else and anything that can be bought at the CG is not brung along.......( first time i ever typed brung in a sentence .......it looks funny and not that "brung" is particularly a southern saying but those look funny in print too.......haha).......SCmomma

16. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I bring firewood with me. [CF]
    A) I don't want to pay for wood
    B) I don't want to have to work while camping cutting and splitting it.

The way I read the firewood ban, you can bring it but you have to burn it. Don't take any home and don't leave any.

17. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

We provide our own. As usual the boat tags along and carries the wood in it. If we were to head out of state which has not happened "Yet" I'm sure we wouldn't take any along as to the tow weight and space would be compromised. Someone aked me this year If I knew what a chainsaw was... Told em yepper, but big logs make for big fires... [;)]

18. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Yep, we bring ours too. We had an ice storm a few yrs back, and we saved all that wood.

19. CampingFool

CampingFool New Member

My brother tore down his shed last year, I grabbed all the interior wood (pine, non-pressure treated), I've been using that all year both at home and for camping. I keep my firewood in a box, which I keep sealed except when actually taking out pieces to burn - I have enough left for about 3 more campfires - I've been thinking about where to get more construction pine - see all kinds of scrap wood thrown in dumpsters and going to waste at construction sites!

20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We have 20+ acres of wooded land, so we cut our own and bring it. I don't agree with the rules trying to stop the ash borer spread, because I believe they are futile. However, I don't break the rules. I just don't go to campgrounds with those rules in place, namely state parks. Funny thing state parks here don't allow you to bring firewood in, but federal parks do.