Firewood

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Patrick w, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I've been kinda disappointed this year as far as firewood has been concerned. Ive been lucky in that my favorite camp site has a guy who sells a good amount of wood for 10 bucks. Some sites have not had firewood (sold out).
    Anyone just use the duraflame?

NHHAPPYCAMPER likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I use them at home sometimes. Makes for easy lighting. I have a propane fire pit now. No need for wood. Its diffrent, but useful.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I carry a propane fire as well. Many times, it's just me sitting around night. I like the instant on and instant off of a propane fire.

generok, tzmartin and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If I was in a position where I needed to buy wood, I’d consider a propane fire thingy. Make no mistake, I’m a big natural fire fan and am fortunate I live where camp wood gathering and camp fires are allowed, fire bans not withstanding. That typed, I can appreciate the simplicity of the propane camp fires. My brother has one with a stainless steel raised rim around the top so you can even cook with it.

As for the duraflame question I have not, but if nothing else is available and they were cheap enough, I’d consider it.

generok and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

I have a propane fire pit as well. To me, a Duraflame log smells bad while it's burning. It certainly works as advertised, though.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have used the regular duraflame logs but if you plan to cook on the fire I believe there was a warning about not doing so. If your only looking for a hour or so of fire they work fine. But you can only use one log at a time and the flame is fairly low and obviously localized. I just checked and I see there is now a duraflame outdoors which says is ok to cook over. Not sure how expensive that one is I’ve never tried it. Duraflame logs are very easy to light and they are convenient. They do get costly so not something I wanted to use often. I’ve used their fire starters all the time until I made my own. I never have luck getting campground firewood going without a fire starter myself.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had great luck this year - got a face cord of VERY dry wood (mostly hardwood, but some cedar mixed in) for a reasonable price for my seasonal site

Just finished it off, and bought 5 bundles from the provincial park itself. So wet you could see and feel it when you split the logs. Foaming at the ends when burning. Almost impossible to get a good fire from it. I ended up using 3 duraflame starters (the little 1x1x4 packets) just to get it lit. Never before had I really seen the massive difference between good, dry wood and garbage.

NHHAPPYCAMPER, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Our Lowes sells a product like Duraflame but they are much harder. I put one in the home fire pit every so often to augment the wood I have at home. They burn pretty well. LP fire pit on the road though.

AMC likes this.
  9. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I know exactly the one your talking about, those are similar to the biobrick product. Its like pellet fuel, just monster sized. i was using those, and they worked pretty good.. until I had a few days of rain and they all expanded and crumbled. I started carrying a few of the duraflames only because sometimes we just want a little fire for ambiance. If we roll in in the latter part of the day, we're not cooking on it. We also have wood restrictions, so these skirt those rules and regs.

generok and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I check Craigslist for free pallets. I take the worst ones and cut them up with the skill saw. You can put a lighter weight pallet in a 5 gallon bucket once cut up.

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I went to the propane after we had smoked marshmallows. Lol. Yea the new wet wood isnt fun to burn. Even with lighter fluid.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I was camping at an antique tractor and engine show a few weeks ago, and one of the guys had a propane fire pit. He told me that he went through a 20# tank each night. That sounds like a lot of propane. The fire was lit for about 4-5 hours and it appeared that the flame was turned up as high as it would go. Does that sound right?

Ductape and NHHAPPYCAMPER like this.
  14. jmkay1

. If the flame is on high it is very possible it could only last 4 hours. Many operate it on low or use it for an hour or two. So you don’t go through so much propane. So yes, propane fire pits do have its drawbacks. I do not have one myself but have friends that do. If your the type you have to have a large crackling fire kept going every time you are at camp hours on end, propane fire pit may not be for you. Another drawback at least on my friends is you hear a constant hiss. Similar to if you were using a cooking stove. On low the fire doesn’t give out much heat I found. However if your in an area that faces a lot of firebans propane fire pits can get you around not having a fire at all. If firewood is crazy expensive or unavailable propane fire can at least give you the ambience of a fire without the high expense of firewood or the hassle of finding some.

15. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Sorry Folks... I can't!!!... I JUST CAN'T!!!!....

It's GOT TO BE FIREWOOD!!!

DW took her Van [our TV] in the other day, to get her oil changed and, she overheard the techs say, when checking her Air Filter... "this smells like campfire"

Firewood Campfire is the ONLY reason I go camping!!! LOL LOL LOL.... propane is used as "backup"

yeah... finding "good" firewood is always a "Crap Shoot". We ask the Caretaker [and Staff] who has the best [the "Locals" know] but, regardless, I honestly can't remember when I couldn't get a fire going.

We carry a Hatchet, a Hand Saw, a Wedge, [edit] Homemade Fire Starters and a couple of these [ Amazon.com : Mudder Collapsible Stainless Steel Campfire Tool Builds Fire Tool Fire Blower Pipe for Picnic Camping Hiking, Pocket Size (Style 1, 4 Pieces) : Sports & Outdoors]

Serriously, ... No Offense... I JUST CAN'T... but... "You do You" [LOL]

Happy Trails!

16. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I thought they were treated... Might just be heat treated..

NHHAPPYCAMPER likes this.
  17. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Oh I know. I know. Lol

jmkay1 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

They are heat treated in the firepit.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  19. jmkay1

. Had a waitress say the same thing to us once, although judging by how the table beside us asked to be moved I guess not everyone appreciates the smell. [:I]
    I'm with you though I much prefer a real campfire. I'm very thankful where I camp firebans are rare. Nothing beats a campfire to keep warm too. [CP][rly]

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I get firewood from a company that builds sheds. Lots of small pieces of 2-6s. They have a dumpster full of scrap wood and people come and take it. Look in your area for a shed building company.

Rik Peery and Mark CASTELLANI like this.