Firewood

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Patrick w, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

My son says the smell is bbq. I got him hooked early. If it's got smoke flavor he eats it.

jmkay1 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  2. AMC

AMC Member

Bwahahahahaha!! I am definitely on your team!! Real fire all the way! This cracked me up! Especially since I just watched this movie for the gazillionth time! LOL FIRE!!

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I carry a chainsaw. No problem

Mark CASTELLANI and AMC like this.
  4. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

so... our last trip [Meacham Lake, ADKs] we got in late... had to drive up the highway, maybe 5 miles or so, to find some firewood... got 4 bundles... the sign said "Dry Wood"... well, it wasn't "wet" but it sure was green

The next day there was a young couple, "Dan Dan, the Firewood Man" [and his lovely wife Stephanie], that came around the CG and delivered bundles [Ice and Ice Cream too!!!]... I never asked him but, his bundles were mostly "scrap"... wondered if he, or someone he knew, had a Saw Mill.

anyway, the wood wasn't "pretty" but it burned like heck!!!... ended up putting the "green wood" on top of his and it worked out okay... what we REALLY liked about his scrap-wood was the planks he had in the bundles. Strategically placing the planks as a "wall" focused the flame [and heat] back against the "green wood"... worked out pretty good.

Moral of The Story: "don't judge a book by it's cover"... Scrap-Wood may not be "prettty" but, if it burns, it's good enough for me!

Happy Trails!

PS: as long as it's not "treated"... it's gotta smell like WOOD, not chemicals... give it the ole "sniff test"

PPS: NYS has a "No Move" ordinance... don't bring wood in from outside of a 50 mile radius...UNLESS it's been kiln dried and has a "Certificate" stating as such

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

6. Mark CASTELLANI

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

DdkyAEr.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. Ed L

Ed L Member

Had a reunion with some friends a few weeks ago and we rented a house in the Black Hills. The contract said, in bold red, no campfires under penalty of fines and/or jail. I asked the manager about a propane one and got their approval. My first time with one (from Lowe’s). I LOVE a wood fire but I have to say this was really convenient and nice. We kept it on low, had a fire 4 nights for 2-4 hours each, had plenty of heat and ambience, and had used maybe 3/4 of a tank of propane. And it’s off when it’s off. The thing packs up very neatly and is nice-looking. We even used it on the deck with no fear of burning anything. Wind didn’t blow smoke at us and this unit didn’t hiss at all. I’m a believer, though real wood fires are still the preferred route when practical.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-Bond-...0-BTU-Bronze-Portable-Steel-Fire-Pit/50037272

9. Mark CASTELLANI

@Hilldweller ... gotta get me an invite to a CFW someday!!!... DW and I agree... looks like our kind of people!!!

Happy Trails!

10. Hilldweller

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Nothing like a lungful of super heated air. Guess you would only do that once before figuring it out. Determined I can use the DeWalt air compressor, in inflator mode, to boost the air flow to the fire. Definitely louder than a blower pipe though.

12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

It works. I've done it a bunch. Lol. It's noisy but when you got in pesky wood it helps

13. Mark CASTELLANI

well... if a person can't figure that one out then, I would wager it's time to thin the herd

[EDIT... video is better with visuals]...you can skip to 6:45 in the video for the effects of breathing in... "I Fell into the Bonfire"

Happy Trails!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    NLB, J Starsky and Rik Peery like this.
  14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Anybody that sparse in the brain deserves scorched lungs, super simple; expand tube, blow thru tube, don't inhale lol

15. Hilldweller

[​IMG]

Mark CASTELLANI and Rik Peery like this.
  16. davido

davido Well-Known Member

An advantage of a propane fire ring is you don't end up smelling like a campfire for sitting in proximity to it. I guess some people like that but to me I just prefer avoiding it if I can. The kids enjoy a wood fire, though, so we do it sometimes.

Some campgrounds prohibit bringing your own firewood, in an effort to either slow the spread of things like pine beetles, or to add another revenue source. It's unfortunate to hear that sites are running out, though.

17. Wallflower9193

Wallflower9193 New Member

We were die hard wood fire campers -- but now we love our propane fire ring. Nothing beats a real campfire, but we have kids with bad allergies, so have switched to propane and it made a huge difference. Its a matter of camping vs. not camping for us, and the easy on and off is great. Also, some types can be used in areas where burn restrictions would prevent a typical campfire. Easier, cheaper, cleaner. Hard to see going back.

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We live in a spot in MN where the emerald ash borer is real and killed a lot of our oaks. I just can't move firewood.

We hit a lot of campgrounds and State Parks, and most just don't stock wood anymore. So, I find about 3-5 pallets, take the circular saw and I cut the planks along the 2x4s, leaving the nails in the 2x4. Those go to my fire pit. I can find enough pallets just cruising town with my trailer.
    I lay the prepped planks like flooring across the back of the Suburban, and I usually lace it 3 boards thick. With Hobo Freight moving blankets on top, the dogs don't notice them down there, and I slip a few or more out per night and nobody ever can tell how 1 bundle of wood went 3 nights. It's always dry, mostly hardwood and nice to split with the axe for kindling, shaving or carving.

Rik Peery and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

They are out there, and procreating.

20. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Not a fan of duraflame-style logs. We used to use them in our old upstairs fireplace on occasions when we didn't want to mess with tending the fire, but they would only burn 2-3 hours no matter what the "burns for 5+ hours" rating on the log says. They also don't look much like a wood fire. We have since converted that FP to gas, which ironically looks a whole lot better. We still have a wood FP on our lower level.

Finding firewood has never been a problem for us, although the prices keep eeking up and it's easy to spend more on firewood than the nightly campsight fees at state parks.

If the parks/campgrounds don't sell it, pretty much any convenience store around here does.