First accident with the jeep.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by beemerboy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I've had my Grand Cherokee for eight years and so far, accident free.

Yesterday, as I was getting ready to leave the hospital driveway, I feel a thump in back. After a few very unkind words, I get out to check for damage. She pretty much hit me dead on. Good thing I still had my hitch bar in the receiver.

The car the lady was driving was a new Lexus suv and even though she wasn't going any more than two mph there was no damage to my Jeep. Her front bumper and license plate however, were pushed in pretty badly. Heh, heh.

I nastily told her to watch where the (censored) she was going and be (censored) careful.

I wonder what she is going to tell her husband!!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We are just glad you are OK, you have enough on your plate.

3. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Craw under there and check to see if the frame/uni body has been bent.
    Is it a Jeep factory hitch or aftermarket?

4. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I had that happen on an old lifted Toyota pickup I had. I was yielding on an off ramp when this lady hit me. She never stopped and even passed me. the front of her car and hood were creased. When I got work, I only had a little of her hood paint on my hitch. Serves her right. [:D]

5. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

It's a factory hitch. The speed she hit me couldn't have been any more than one or two mph. No harder than bumping into the hitch when hooking up. I checked under my car and not even a wrinkle. Didn't even scratch the paint on the hitch.

But, it was hard enough that her bumper will need to be replaced. So much for having a "quality vehicle". I wonder how much a new Lexus bumper costs? Heh, heh, heh.

6. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

In NY it is illegal to drive with hitch on and not towing anything just for this reason. Man it was an accident, don't need to be such a ....

7. dmonette

dmonette Member

Hitch or no hitch, technically you're supposed to leave a car length between you and the car in front of you (or at least be able to see the rear tires).

8. kpic

kpic New Member

With unibody, wrinkles are the key.

9. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I agree with Boobooman.

And in a higher speed collision, that hitch will work against that Chrystler engineering.

10. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

As to "Chrysler Engineering", I remember a recent recall on Jeep GC's where Chrysler was installing hitches to prevent something terrible in case of rear end collision, I want to say fuel tank rupture? It was a thread on this board, anyway.

Glad to hear you're ok, beemerboy. And your Jeep, too.

11. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

In taking a class with the trauma nurses at our main hospital, they kept repeating that they don't call it an "accident" and call it a crash or collision. The reason being is that it isn't accidental. Almost all collisions are avoidable and that was the point of the class. They said in most cases people are either not paying attention, intoxicated, not giving enough space or are driving a poorly maintained vehicle. They said collisions caused by medical reasons are rare and usually the person or family member knew they weren't feeling well or impaired and drove anyway.

My point is, that people driving like idiots are endangering our lives and don't deserve a break. And yes I was an idiot when I was younger, but I haven't been in a collision that was my fault for 25 years. Man was I an idiot. [LOL]

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I happen to know that an Impala bumper costs just under $1000, like $950ish or so. I bet that Lexus is going to be a bit more expensive. [LOL]

13. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I guarantee you, if you hit me, that will be the nicest word you think about calling me! Accident or not, pay attention to where you are going and keep a safe distance between you and me. Legal or not, I often leave my hitch in over the summer, if someone hits me it's really going to suck to be them, that is 90 pounds of solid steel they will be putting thru the front of their car before touching my truck.

14. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

I don't care if it's a law to take it out. It stays in. If it bends the frame then whoever hit me that car is jacked! I pay insurance for a reason. I will get a new truck. I call it a win. Should not have hit me. Your fault not mine. And for hitting the shin I have done it once. I can't understand people that keep on doing that. You should remember it's there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

many years ago I was driving an olds cutlass on rt1 in MA. We were going to the hilltop steakhouse and slowing down. Had directional on and everything. We got rear-ended hard enough to jolt us but were not hurt. They tried to take off and I was able to follow them through a parking lot before they took off. Couldn't get a plate colour or make as it was dark and raining but saw there were at least 2 people in the car.

We went to the restaurant and looked to see what the damage was to the Cutlass. No damage to the rear, all straight. I found the make of the car in the directional that was in pieces in the plate holder. I guessed a bunch of kids "borrowed" daddy's new Lincoln.

Had a great meal and laughed at how much trouble the kids were in :)

Jerry in MA

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

that is correct, they were going to recall the jeep grand cherokee for fear of fuel tank rupture in a rear end collision, and heard talk about installing factory hitches on them instead (problally the 4.0 liters) i beleive, i have a 04 wj series gc with a 4.7 in it and it came stock with a hitch from day one. the rear of the fuel tank is not very eye pleasing . but never had any problems with it other wise. im glad you came out without a scratch, i love my 9 year old jeep hoping to keep her in prime shape for many more years [:D]

17. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Question about the "legality" of "leaving the hitch on"... are you guys referring to the receiver hitch, as it bolts to the frame? Or the drawbar/ball?

I could see the latter being illegal to leave on if you're not actively towing, but expecting someone to bolt on/unbolt the receiver seems ludicrous to me.

Especially when so many trucks and SUV's come with them standard from the factory.

And I know, also from experience, how much even just the receiver tube can eff up your car. In 2006 I was hit from behind by an F150 that mistook the gas for the brakes (his words, not mine) and was pushed into a Suburban with a hitch. I barely made contact with the 'Burban but my front bumper, both supports, and the grille had to be replaced.

(as well as another $7000 in damage from the F150 out back...)

18. nycamper77

nycamper77 New Member

I live in NY and I leave mine in all camping season . I never heard that you are supposed to remove it

19. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

draw bar and ball only

20. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I couldn't find anything for Oregon or Washington requiring the ball mount to be removed. It would make sense, but I'd bet it hasn't been addressed or enough data gathered to say they cause more damage to the passenger in the vehicle than the hitch it's self. It might do more damage to the car in the rear, but I'd say most laws are about damage to people. They'd have to be going pretty fast to get hit by the ball in the passenger compartment and I'm pretty sure at those speeds neither of you will live to tell about it anyway. [:D]