First Family Vacation - INSANE ISSUES!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by 911Boulder, Aug 9, 2020.

1. 911Boulder

911Boulder Member

Everything started out awesome. Got the Durango and the Centennial 3606 all loaded up and hit the road at midnight on Thursday. About 3.5 hours into the trip (0330) we hear a "pffftt" and feel a shake... Pull off the side of the road and find that me drivers side tire had de-laminated and blew, taking the fender flare with it and marking the hell out of my slide out... So here I am at 0345 changing my tire on the pup...

20200806_043713.jpg
    20200806_043726.jpg
    Get it changed and pumped up enough (about 35 pounds when my tire pump over heated and shut off) to limp to a gas station to fully inflate it. Get the the first gas station (Royal Farms) and start to pump it up and their pump is **** and actually deflated my damn tire!!! So i get my pump back out and get it pumped up again to limp it to a Wawa about a mile away and get it fully inflated. So off we go again. About 20-30 minutes later we hear a "POP" and a big shake... Now the passengers side tire blew, legit blew apart. So we limp it to a maintenance lot for a housing development and take the wheel off and throw both blown wheels in the back of the Durango and start searching the internet for trailer tires...

20200806_064011.jpg
    Luckily the couple we were camping with were literally 15 minutes away at a hotel, so we head to them and get to their hotel room and start the search for trailer tires. We found a nice shop and they had 2 tires in stock, so we head to there and drop off the wheels. I explain my situation and they said they'd get it done ASAP. We head back to the hotel and find out that my friends spare is the same size as my tires... So we head out with his spare to get my pup back on the road. Get the pup back together, run back to the tire shop and picked up my wheels and tires and throw them in his truck and away we go... After the second tire went, I felt a weird shake/shimmy from the Durango. Turns out that when the second tire blew, it broke a belt in the front passenger tire, but we limped it to our destination

After that we his CRAZY rain!!! The pup stayed about 98% weather tight, so I was happy about that. Get to the campground at around 2000 Thursday night (that's right, 20 hours after initial leave. A 7-8 hour trip turned into a 20 hour trip)

After getting to the campground in a monsoon, getting checked in, and finding our sites, we then had to wait a little over 2 hours before the rain stopped so I could get the pup up and ready. After i got it set-up and we all got in for the night, it rained like mad all night. But luckily the pup held the weather out. I didn't even get an pics of the pup set up, because I had to find another tire shop and get a new tire for the Durango. On Friday, I found a used tire shop that had one in stock, and it was the same type of tire I had on the Durango already!!! LoL Got that fixed and was able to enjoy Saturday of the trip. Then Saturday night/Sunday morning at just after midnight, my almost 2 year old fell out of the side of the pup!!! He flopped over the pillows we have lining the outside of the slide and ripped the straps that hold the canvas to the underside. Luckily only a few bumps and bruises, he was more upset about being startled awake from such a sound sleep then anything...

Then came today (Sunday) get everything packed up, hooked up, and off we went. Other then some emergency bathroom type stops for the 5 year old it was an uneventful trip home. Until I got home at around 1935 and try to open the pup up so I could get a quick nap before I had to be at work at 2200 and the wife could unload it tomorrow. Get the pup just over a foot raised and "pop", the one upright came out of its mount on the roof and slid down the support. At this point I was just over it. Lowered it back down and just left it in the driveway. Went in the house and grabbed a quick shower and just relaxed until I had to go to work...

I'm not too sure if this pup has too much of a future with my family or not... I'm gonna have to calm down for a few days and re-asses what we're gonna do...

Sorry for such a long winded post, y'all...

2. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Member

what does not kill you....

glad you survived!

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

How old were those tires? When I bought mine I feel info the trap of "tread is fine, let's go" and blew out two tires on the same trip.

Those combined air compressors are crap for trailer tires. They overheat quick, have low duty cycles and often don't get up to the 60psi that most trailers need. I have one and it could barely handle these tires on the car. Look into a Viair model on Amazon. You have to clip then to a battery as they pull too many amps for a power port but they will easily handle trailer pressures.

Glad you made it. Come to think of it I had a couple initial trips in a row where something went wrong. Flats, busted trailer harness, torn stitching, busted awning, fried power center, stuff I forgot, collapsed shelves, vent button on the cassette broke and got dumped down the dump station, electrical glitches, jammed coupler and of course rain during tear down. We still made it, and had a good time in between.

4. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

Wow that's some trip you had

rescamilla, 911Boulder and Rik Peery like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry about your trip, keep your chin up, once you get it fixed it would be all down hill from there. Not saying this is the issue on yours but camper tires need to be changed every 5-7 years even if they look good. The tires may look good outside, but inside may be worn out. Also found that if a camper was stored for a couple years not moved it could damage tires as well.
    Glad your 2 yo was unhurt. When my little side kick was about 2, I found her legs sticking out from under the canvas on the verge of falling. She somehow shimmied from the center of the bed and pressed against the side of the canvas And bungie stretched Enough . I decided to move her to the collapsed table for safety sake. She moved too much at night and nothing could stop that freight train in a little girls body. She argued non stop but until her body was finally able to recognize where the edge of the bed is and stay put or self right I didn’t feel comfortable to allow her on the bunk at night. Heck even on the table she fell off the bed more times than I could count. At least the floor is much closer There than the ground from a bunk.

6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Interesting read dude; never apologize for sharing major mishaps that keep others on the edge of their seats, we thrive on the misery of others...just kidding of course... you made the best of the situation & completed the mission; the most talked about memories over the years my fam has are the ones that were complete cluster bangs [CB]

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Bad luck for sure. Get your mind right and we can help you for the next trip. Walk it off you made it!

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sorry for your bad luck. As you probably now know, trailer tires have a lifespan of 5 years whether or not they are driven on. Yours will have a date code and if you lost both of them on a trip chances are they are ancient. Just looking at the way the blew makes them look very brittle.

9. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good reminder to everyone to always check tires for dry rot and replace all 3 tires every 5 years.

Tell us more about your lift system post

"Get the pup just over a foot raised and "pop", the one upright came out of its mount on the roof and slid down the support."

rescamilla and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

When you get new tires make sure you get D's (as high as you can go with 13") or E's if you have larger tires. A lot of tire shops only carry B's and C's and those really don't have the beef to carry the weight we tend to haul around. I got what they had at the tire shop when mine blew out (C's) and they were worn out after fewer than 500 miles. The D's I ordered on line, Carlisle, have gone well over a thousand now and show zero wear.

11. tfischer

It never hurts to overengineer and get the higher load rating, but in this case, the failure was clearly due to age, not specs.

911Boulder and flingwing1969 like this.
  12. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

I
    I suspected it was ages, just wanted to note getting the best load rating you can because many tire shops don't carry them for some reason.

tfischer and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

So, how old were the tires?

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im not into getting load ranges that are way to high. Maybe up one but thats it otherwise you run the risk of not enough weight on the tires. This will ware them out also, just diffently.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

When I drove a tow truck for a while I was amazed how many people don't check the air pressure in the spare. Don't get too discouraged too quickly. PUP have a learning curve, unfortunately that curve was pretty sharp on your first trip.

Cwboysteve likes this.
  16. tfischer

If it wasn't such a PITA to get the spare cover off and (especially) back on, I'd do it every trip, like I do the main tires. But I do check it at least at the start of the season, and before an especially long trip (like our trip from MN->tennessee this year). I also have a 12V compressor in the TV.

Orchid, Cwboysteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. 911Boulder

911Boulder Member

I'm not sure what happened... I was raising it, and it popped and the passengers rear corner dropped... All that was visible in that corner was the 2-3 inches of "sleeve" coming from the body that the post rides in, and the spring-looking thing that's inside of the upright. I'm assuming the upright became unpinned from the bracket thats on the roof and it dropped down into the sleeve...? Not exactly sure whats wrong of how i'm going to go about repairing it as of right now... Just going to settle down for a few days and they look at it... lol

18. 911Boulder

911Boulder Member

As for the date on the tires, I couldn't even tell you... I was so frustrated with the whole situation I didn't even think to look...

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

On the bright side, the chances of that happening twice is really remote . . .

20. tfischer

Given a pair of dry rotted tires and a long enough trip, not so remote. But if you have a pair of new tires now, it will be awhile at least ;)

Rik Peery likes this.