First one I’ve seen on the road

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by gladecreekwy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

No hitch but it’s only a matter of time. 85BB22C7-FE7C-412F-B79A-8CBC2AC05421.jpeg

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

With an 11000 lb towing capacity, it should be able to pull most pop ups!

rescamilla, kcrouth and gladecreekwy like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm thinking not much dry camping in its future.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  4. gladecreekwy

Look what pulls out from the side. Kitchen w/ induction burner 7238A8C4-78D5-4A12-9403-1EEFE4F962B4.jpeg

wusthof, rescamilla, Elaine L and 3 others like this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

They performed pretty well in Long Way Up. So long as you have access to electric. For me I might be more inclined to get that Ford pickup with the integrated power generator stuff instead. Neither will happen for me though - too rich for my blood. I am firmly entrenched in the used and cast off market!

6. gladecreekwy

300 mile range gets me where I need to be I’m sure towing will eat into that number but my average round trip distance to camp is about 75 miles.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Better have a generator just in case.

8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Same. But nice to see that cool stuff is in my distant future

9. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Advice to people buying new models. I have been in the auto industry since 1967. Never buy a totally new model or new design engine the first year out on the market. Examples 5.7 GM diesels. Early 4R700 transmissions. 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels. The new Thunderbird I think around 2002. Mercury had some piece of grease that the factory reps said that 3 streams or less of water leaking in the side windows were with in speck. And there are numerous others out there. Ford had some import that there was no fix for the transmission. I don't know what they did on that one. Ford always developed new technology in the Lincolns because they figured those buyers could to afford the expensive repairs until they could get the bugs worked out. New Bronco's and Rangers You couldn't give me one the first 2 years of production. Toyotas and Chryslers have their problems. Just not as bad.

rescamilla and kcrouth like this.
  10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Great advice. Chryslers? They're doozies and always were lol.

I don't know where this electric vehicle hoopla is going. I am betting on the outrageous across the board electric bill sticker shock model to pay for the infrastructure upgrades that will be required, along with super high yearly registration taxes to makeup for the loss of gas tax. They seem to work well in the city, out here in the sticks maybe not so much.

Most campgrounds I have been to seem to have borderline electrical infrastructure at best, which has not been upgraded since the 1980's, good luck at the campground. At most there are power issues when crowded from folks just wanting to run AC and anything else they can think of all at the same time when its crowded. Just wait till all want to charge up a vehicle or two also.

Sjm9911, Fish N Farm and eoleson1 like this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well it ain’t going in my garage! [LOL]

bdr129, Elaine L, xxxapache and 3 others like this.
  12. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

My friend bought a lower end model Tesla for around 40K. It's a really cool car with a lot of gadgets and games. The drive assist feature was like riding on a smooth roller coaster without rails. My brain kept on thinking we were going to go off the road as the car just drove itself. It's cool. I imagine these upgrades will trickle down to other vehicles within the next 5 years. There is tremendous upside in safety upgrades. Will be interesting to see the 2nd and 3rd generation of this tech in regular vehicles. Would love to get a electric vehicle paired with a solar charger if the panel technology would could improve. Does Rivian have all the features like self drive/assist on it?

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

When I an older , I am going to buy a self driving Winnebago. It can drive between campgrounds while I am sleeping.

14. Fish N Farm

That is a nice option. While you are sitting on a east LA Freeway charging your battery you can fix yourself some lunch or better a moonlit dinner.

Electric cars are not the real answer. What are we going to do with the lead and acid from the old batteries. W/O petroleum products what are going to wear, package food products, make all the light weight components in airplanes and electric cars. Gasoline and diesel are byproducts from making all the plastics, glues carbon fiber. Everybody wants to feel good about these kind of things. Until we stop the world population growth we are doomed. Hydrogen sulfide gas the biggest thing eating the ozone is produced by humans and animals digesting their food. We are not living in the Little House on the Prairie and little bit is not going to come skipping in the front door at the end of the day and everything turns to perfect. The best chance so far is the hydrogen fuel cell. But, for some reason everybody wants to dance around that. GM had that but the government sold it to China and we still haven't seen that. Could be dangerous. But everything is in the beginning. I had rather go out in a blaze of glory than be squished by 2 tons of batteries.

Susan Premo and neighbormike like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Saftey from my standpoint isnt good. I haven't sceen enough in accidents yet, but there is no standerd on them. Plus you cant cut i to them without disabling the battery. Unfortunately disabling them happens to take time and the way to do it is all diffrent. Plus the batteries can keep heating up for like 3 days. This is a problem after there disabled. Tow trucks will not take them untill then. So there safer in that they preform better when they crash, but they still crash. And it will take linger to remove you from the vehical. Plus if the battery gets compromised( this happened) it will send burning fule cells all over the place. Basicly making it a large haz matt clean up.

Fish N Farm and neighbormike like this.
  16. Fish N Farm

Think about all the garages and homes Ford's faulty ignition switch caused. What could a real battery on steroids do?

xxxapache likes this.
  17. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm with Sneezer in regards to a hybrid truck with a battery and electrical assist. The Hybrid F150, depending on configurations, is rated at 24 mpg combined. (I hope the 2022 Tundra will be the same or better.) The option of a 1.4 kWh battery and 7.2 kWh generator opens a world of possibilities for dry camping with electrical power. (See Fast Lane Truck videos.) That said, the safety of batteries is getting better and better, along with the advent of solid-state batteries, should be more than enough to keep insurance companies happy.

I would also love to have a Rivian but it's simply not a tow vehicle. Any "suggested" range will be cut in half (if not more) when towing. I've crunched quite a few numbers trying to justify such a vehicle but it simply doesn't work unless you have access to fast charging (i.e. 150 kWh), a vehicle designed to accept power that quickly, and a sufficient network of charging stations. Maybe some day...

18. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Well, they won't be used in electric cars. The energy density is too low and weight is too high for PbA batteries to be used as propulsion in electric cars. Other chemistries are used like Li-Ion, Ni-MH, Lipo-Fe. These offer longer life, deeper cycling, lower weight and less space. The lead-acid will still have a place in short duration electric output needs like for 5 ~ 10 second starter motor operation where those remain in use.
    Most synthetic polymers come from natural gas. The carbon remains in the polymers and is not released into the atmosphere as would be the case if that natural gas were burned such as gasoline and diesel are in their primary use. Those deposits containing gas and liquid can be tapped to extract just the gas leaving the liquid hydrocarbons sequestered.
    This one I had to look up, and it's a false claim as well. "Using a three‐dimensional chemistry‐climate model of the troposphere and stratosphere, we find that hydrogen sulfide alone is unlikely to directly affect stratospheric ozone, even for hydrogen sulfide emission rates as large as 5000 Tg(S) per year." source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2006GL028384
    Hydrogen is fine, but it's the other stuff with the hydrogen that's a problem. Hydrogen has an affinity to bind with other chemicals and compounds. That makes it ideal to bind with oxygen as in a fuel cell, but getting hydrogen by itself, unbound to other compounds, so that it can be used in a fuel cell necessitates using energy to separate it from the compounds. That's electrolysis to split H2O into H2 and O2, but that requires electricity, or extracting the H2 from assorted hydrocarbons, but that releases the carbon components as CO2. Then there's the energy density issue. H2 in a gas form takes a lot of volume for not much capacity. Liquifying the H2 takes more energy, and then requires a high pressure storage vessel. All this energy for electrolysis, for reforming fossil hydrocarbons, for compressors, comes from.... electricity? Why not stay with electricity and cut out the inherent losses that accumulate with each step?
    All that liquid H2 and O2 to power fuel cells can make that wish come true.

Coulter Wood, djsciz and Rusty2192 like this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there will be no incentive to recycle the newer type batteries. Nothing in them worth it for people to do so.

20. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Japanese car makers have hydrogen now and there are a few service stations in California. It’s starting