First pop-up adventures

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Siso1517, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:04 AM.

1. Siso1517

Siso1517 New Member

Hi all,

My family of 4 and I live in Western WA. We just purchased our first little pop-up after 16 summers of car camping. It's a 2006 Fleetwood Neon, and we tow it with our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. I've never towed anything before in my life, so getting it home and into our very perpendicular, narrow, urban driveway was an adventure all unto itself! (I'll be practicing reversing in a parking lot before we get very far on our first trip this summer.) Luckily, it's very light--just shy of 1,000 lbs--so we can disconnect the trailer and move it manually when needed. The seller had just replaced the entire canvas, mattresses, tires, and battery, so we are pretty stoked to get it on the road in such good condition.

We are decidedly low-maintenance; the reason we got this particular camper is because after researching so many others on the market, we didn't want to futz around with water, sewer, stove, etc. systems going wrong. We just wanted beds off the ground, and the heater doesn't hurt. There is literally no space to walk around in the camper when both beds are engaged (it only has a pop-up on one side; the other bed is basically the bench turned into a twin-sized bed, which is where our kids will sleep), but that will make sure we maximize the time we are outside when outdoors, we hope! We also secured a Porta Potti and a privacy/shower tent so that we won't have to use any public facilities on our trips, thanks to Covid precautions.

I haven't slept in a pop-up camper since I was probably 11 or 12 years old, when we had an equally basic model (after going through a Westphalia, small motorhome, and full-size modified van in my early childhood memories), so I'm looking forward to learning what pop-up ownership and maintenance are all about as an adult, with my own family. I'm also really excited to start modding our camper, since it's pretty bare-bones. Thanks in advance for letting me join the community here!

Tom Jordan, Rey-Pop-UP and Mamalise like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

Siso1517 likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

Siso1517 likes this.
  4. Mamalise

Mamalise New Member

Hello all ! My spouse and I have retired and purchased a two season old Jayco popup in great shape. Planning to do a maiden voyage this weekend. Hoping to learn from all of you so we can avoid all the mistakes we would otherwise make.

Siso1517 likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl.

Siso1517 and Mamalise like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. You need to do your own post, to keep things separated. Especially true with issues and questions to prevent mixing of information for future reference,

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

Siso1517 likes this.
  8. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Hampshire UK[GBR], that sounds like a great little pup

9. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

Siso1517 & Mamalise; Hello and Welcome from central PA!

10. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!