First pop up

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
I finally got to pick it up today… my first pop up… I’ve had class a motorhome before but never a pop up… figured it more practical for just me… it’s a 1985 Viking spirit 1600… does need some work… exterior is in decent condition, the upper part of the roof is rotted that would be too bad to repair, the cushions are all missing but, I went to school for upholstery so, I don’t have an issuer rebuilding the cushions and mattresses… the canvas is in really good condition minus two small tears which can be repaired…
I have a decent size Amazon order going on for basic things that were weathered over time…
I’m a complete newbie when it comes to pop ups and would greatly appreciate any help with these type of campers…
Hopefully my first one will turn out to be a decent one…

Attachments

• 1AA348AF-7804-4942-8AC5-5FFEF724488A.jpeg
    1AA348AF-7804-4942-8AC5-5FFEF724488A.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 123
  • F28FEAEB-8E1F-441E-B314-999E209C62E8.jpeg
    F28FEAEB-8E1F-441E-B314-999E209C62E8.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 115
I finally got to pick it up today… my first pop up… I’ve had class a motorhome before but never a pop up… figured it more practical for just me… it’s a 1985 Viking spirit 1600… does need some work… exterior is in decent condition, the upper part of the roof is rotted that would be too bad to repair, the cushions are all missing but, I went to school for upholstery so, I don’t have an issuer rebuilding the cushions and mattresses… the canvas is in really good condition minus two small tears which can be repaired…
I have a decent size Amazon order going on for basic things that were weathered over time…
I’m a complete newbie when it comes to pop ups and would greatly appreciate any help with these type of campers…
When I started with a pop-up, the thing that took the most learning was the lift system. You might want to make sure it's lubricated and the cables look good. I had One break while camping and it wasn't fun.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Except for the damage you describe, the rest of the bones look good. Welcome to PUP life. Especially with the age of that unit, you're going to get to roll up the sleeves a bit. Who doesn't like a project?

As you get things into shape and reconditioned, be sure to visit Camp Driveway before you take it on the road, to truly test out a weekend camping situation. Put every system through its paces in one event. I've sometimes fixed a particular system in the driveway and tested simply that thing only to find out that I missed something when you put it all in use together.

I have never used swing arms for the roof supports and to my mind, I think I would like them better from a stretching and maintenance aspect but I do understand why the industry switched to using cables. But I'd like to try them out myself sometime.

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
When I started with a pop-up, the thing that took the most learning was the lift system. You might want to make sure it's lubricated and the cables look good. I had One break while camping and it wasn't fun.
That’s what I was having issues with when I brought it home… no cables… no crank… cldnt find anything on it… it has arms that need to be pinned to keep open…my dad had one years ago and telling me there’s a crank… cldnt find it anywhere outside nor inside of what we could access… felt like a dumb ass when we figured out just lift it lol

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
Except for the damage you describe, the rest of the bones look good. Welcome to PUP life. Especially with the age of that unit, you're going to get to roll up the sleeves a bit. Who doesn't like a project?

As you get things into shape and reconditioned, be sure to visit Camp Driveway before you take it on the road, to truly test out a weekend camping situation. Put every system through its paces in one event. I've sometimes fixed a particular system in the driveway and tested simply that thing only to find out that I missed something when you put it all in use together.

I have never used swing arms for the roof supports and to my mind, I think I would like them better from a stretching and maintenance aspect but I do understand why the industry switched to using cables. But I'd like to try them out myself sometime.
Definitely have to driveway camp first… I learned that with my fist motorhome… 1988 Winnebago super chief… thought I had it all ready to go until I arrived at the campground just to find out the awning wouldn’t roll back up, the black tank valve was seized shut and the chaiis battery wouldn’t charge from the converter just drain with the house batteries… it was a rough first trip lol

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
Welcome from northern Virginia. Wow that canvas Is in excellent condition considering the age. Best of luck with fixing the roof etc.
As far as I know the canvas is original… sat 15 years closed up… two small tears to take care of

SteelPlayer

Jul 5, 2020
Our adult children bought Mom and Dad a used Jayco PUP for our 40th anniversary. It also was a “project” camper. I repaired the roof, replaced the canvas, added A/C, recovered the countertops, made custom curtains, as well as several other additions and repairs. We are seasoned campers from way back, so I had a fairly clear vision of what we were after. Floor, frame, cushions and lift mechanism were all in good order. One unintended thing about the rebuild was how “therapeutic” the process was for me, as I lost both my parents over the course of the refurbishment. Best of luck on your project! My one piece of advice is to step back and visualize what you wish to see when you have it completed. However, understand that none of us who camp in RV’s ever truly are “finished”, lol!

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
If it's just the roof rim around the outside you will have that fixed in no time we did that on our project camper this spring only took a couple weeks while working in the cold spring to get it done :)