First popup camping in 3 years. What an Adventure

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Kevin 11-RT, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Kevin 11-RT

Kevin 11-RT New Member

What a week!
    The first camping (with popup) in over three years turned out to be quite an adventure. Like all adventures there were some good, bad, and ugly events that shaped the trip.

The trip started with a rainy drive to Seattle to watch the LSU / Washington game. (The Tigers won YEAH!!!) The camper was parked in the KOA site in Kent Washington.

The rain got heavy after the rain. The next morning a trip to town was needed to pick up a few things. On return a shiny screw was found in the driver front tire of my Tacoma. I called the AAA and they changed the flat in less than an hour.

A trip to the Firestone shop (on the Sunday before Labor Day) had the tire patched in no time (and with no charge). So the trip to North East Oregon was delayed by 1 day. Two days later and the camper was parked in a small campground called Eagle Creek Campground. The site was nice and fossils were found!

Night 4 of the trip started off pretty rocky with a small fire in the external hot water heater compartment (cause still unknown) (more details can be found here; http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=30981.0 )

The last ‘adventure’ of the weeklong trip occurred almost in the garage. While backing up I ran over part of a weight distribution hitch which created a 6 inch-cut on one of the camper’s tires.

So all-in-all it was a very good trip. There is (almost) always an upside to everything. The tire issues could have taken place on the highway (trip covered over 1200 miles) instead of in controlled areas, and the fire was minor with little damage. New friends were made, and a life-long dream was fulfilled (fossils found). The camper has been parked for less than 48 hours and I am itching to hit the road and trails again).

The KOA campground in Kent Washington is nice, but sites are very close.

Woodward Campground (Oregon) small and nice. The lake nearby is off-limits but the campsites are mostly private and some are shielded from other sites.

Eagle Creek Campground (north of New Bridge Oregon) is a small site with 5 sites on Eagle Creek. One can spend time fishing, hiking, hunting, fossil hunting (and finding), exploring old mining sites, and other activities are available close-by.

2. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Good trip report............ glad most everything went well!

3. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

sounded like a pretty good trip to me.........glad the tire issues were not worst than they were or the fire (yikes) either.......here's to more camping trips in the future.......it can only go up from here.......haha......SCmomma

4. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

thanks for sharing the adventure ! I am sure that you will get all the kinks worked out and hopefully return to camping again real soon !

5. Kevin 11-RT

Kevin 11-RT New Member

There were more things that went great than things that went wrong, but it only takes one wrong thing to make things really bad.

I am infact I am working on ideas for my next trip later this month or late Oct.

Here in Oregon we are so spoiled for choice. I am thinking of mining for Sunstones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunstone#Oregon_sunstone) , and / or a waterfall tour.

Kevin