First Post! And I am gutting the roof of a sunlite eagle slide in pop up truck camper

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CraigCamper, Oct 16, 2021.

1. CraigCamper

CraigCamper New Member

Hello Hello!
    I am finally getting around to reframing a sagging pop up camper roof. Question for this group- what have people used as a vapor barrier under the very thin aluminum sheet metal before putting back the framing and insulation? Some sort of liquid applied coating?

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have never thought of a vapor barrier in a pup? Usally its like a peice of polly that goes on the inside of the walls to keep the heat in to prevent condinsation in the wall. I dont think it would matter on a pup, its a small space. Maybe some insulation like they use on vinyl sidding on the roof side and keep an air pocket below it? Not sure what there was there beforehand and the why it was there.

PopUpSteve and kcsa75 like this.
  3. CraigCamper

CraigCamper New Member

Thank you for the reply! Its condensation on the inside of the roof I am worried about about. With my sunlite pup there is some green stuff all over the inside of the roof- wondering if that was waterproofing that needed to be resurfaced or maybe that is just the glue to hold the insulation on

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its not to prevent condensation on the inside, to do that crack a window. Its a tent.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

7. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Welcome from NY. Best to you in your new adventures!

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It might just be glue. Are you concerned about condensation between the roof layers or just a wet ceiling?

Popup truck camper roofs are built differently than those of popup trailers I think. I have both, but I haven't take apart either. :) I know the TC roof is sturdier---you can walk on my popup TC but you aren't even allowed to THINK about walking on my popup trailer roof.

Have you checked https://expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/pop-up-truck-campers.75/ ?

People on that site have documented a lot of rebuilds over the years and might know if a vapor barrier would be useful for bad weather camping.

Arruba likes this.
  9. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you don’t find what you’re looking for at Expedition Portal, try over at Wander the West: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/

It’s the site for the Four Wheel Camper cult. They have a whole section on builds/referbs.
    Good luck.