First PUP, Metal to metal contact on winch cable with trailer? Please see pictures. Thank you!

TG Imagine

Jun 10, 2021
Ok, so this is my first pup, first camper ever, and first post on this forum.

I just purchased a 2008 Starcraft and the winch was bad, missing parts, I installed another factory OEM winch:

https://www.hannarv.com/P/21595/GoshenStampingRightHandDLB1200APopUpTentCamperLiftSystemWinch

There is a hole on my trailer I assume that winch cable is supposed to go through, but it has downward metal to metal pressure on it because of the way the winch and mount is designed:

issue.png

If I bypass this "tunnel" and just run the cable under, then I will have this similar downward metal to metal pressure on the other tunnel that is right where the camper begins:

both openings.png

I have smothered this path with grease, and the cable is very greased. The winch IS installed in the upper most position. It cannot be mounted any higher, only lower which would make this situation worse:

winch position.png

Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or a great concern? Thank you!!

(see all screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/fQQsuJP )

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york
I don't know if this would help, but if your winch cable were to be respooled so that the cable goes on top of the winch spool as opposed to the way you have it as being spooled underneath the spool. not sure if i'm making it clear. Think toilet paper roll. Either the paper coming off the top of the roll or off the bottom. It might give just a little more clearance to get your cable through your two openings, or i guess you could open your openings some more.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
if your winch cable were to be respooled so that the cable goes on top of the winch spool as opposed to the way you have it
My thought also, with the caveats that I would expect the winch handle to rotate clockwise when raising and to make sure that the pawl lock works correctly, whichever way you go. Otherwise I would rerun the cable under the frame since there to avoid wear on the cable and frames.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
is it the right model winch for your traile rmodel?

sure looks like it needs to be flipped upside down.

You are correct to be concerned about the as-is situation.

Do you also have a potential issue with the cable rubbing on the side of the opening as it spools off/on the drum?

Why is the right hand round hole in the 2nd picture "boogerized" on one side - it don't look right.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
I found this info, says Starcraft used the Goshen lift system up until 2007. Could it be that they were using something else in 2008?

___________________________________________________________________________________
from -
http://www.popupparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_11

The lift system for Starcraft has changed over the years. Starcraft used a single winch cable with four lift cables until 1983. That year had a mix of the old system to a 4 winch cable/ 4 lifter cable system.

Around 1986 Starcraft started using the Goshen lift system on their Venture series. in 2001, all models were using Goshen up until 2007. Jayco acquired the brand in 1991.

____________________________________________________________________________________

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
My thoughts on the issue...

#1. This appears to be a fairly basic engineering mistake on the MFG. I don't see how the original cable / winch could have spooled off differently enough to make any difference at all... Knowing that let's move on to...

#2. If you can figure out a way to do it, get a roller mounted between the metal edge where the cable goes through, and the metal itself to act as a sort of roller fairlead.

#3. Barring the roller fairlead idea, find a way to roll and polish the edges this passes through so that there is a smooth surface for the cable to pass through, like a Hawse fairlead.

#4. This one is far from likely, but like mentioned above, flip the orientation of the winch and the way it is spooled such that the cable comes from the top. Is there more room there?