First PUP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Charlie B, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Charlie B

Charlie B New Member

Hi Everyone,

Been looking for a PUP for several months now. We have been tent camping for a few years and decided in was time to raise the comfort level a bit. Plus with two kids now I think it will just make things easier.

I finally found a camper that I really like. It is a 2002 Coleman Mesa. Original owner, and the guy took really good care of it. The canvas and screen are in great shape and really supple, not at all brittle. The inside is really great too. There is a little bit of a soft spot around the side access door of the front storage trunk. But compared to the other campers I've seen in this price range, it is really nice.

He did have the ABS roof replaced by Coleman under the factory warranty many years ago. The aluminum roof has had some pitting, which he has filled with some time of marine sealant and painted. There is a tiny (1" x 2") spot of bubbling on the inside of the roof, and one of the trim covers on the inside of the roof has a bit of brown staining on it. He said it has never leaked while camping, but that when he stored it outside it did seem to seep in a bit. He has stored it inside for the last several years however.

He thinks that the roof rails need to be taken off and sealed underneath. He also thinks the entire roof should be resealed. I really like the camper, and I want to make sure that I'm not getting in over my head with the required repairs.

I've looked around on here and seen some information about repairing the roof, and I don't think this one is in very bad shape, but just looking to get some feedback from anyone who has been through this. Is it a giant red flag and something I should avoid, or is it generally and easy repair to make and nothing to worry about?

2. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Welcome to the forum. People here are ready and willing to help you. You did not say you actually purchased the 2002 Coleman Mesa in this post, but I saw in another that you did. Try putting your camper and tow vehicle in your signature. You will not have to repeat that information each time you ask a question.

3. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping from North Carolina!

For a 2002 with a replaced roof I think it would not be a difficult fix to reseal the seams. If the roof was replaced with the AlumiLite version a good quality paint should work.

Good luck!

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl. Panhandle, Congrats on the NTU PUP. As with everything pre-owned, there will be things that need /should be done. However take the time to analyze the problem before diving right in. There are folks on here that will be glad to assist with any answers you might need all you need to do is ask. One completed including mods to make it your own" you will find that the family will /can enjoy outside adventures eve more, all the extras the PUP provides will be appreciated in inclement weather. Good Luck and happy Camping

5. chrisarrick

chrisarrick Member

Welcome! I'm sort of new here myself after I bought a 30 year old popup in need of some love. Folks here are helpful and fun.