First Questions

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ChillCo, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Well I've done the introduction so now the questions begin.

I am looking to purchase a used pup, and don't want my lack of knowledge to put me down the wrong path.

First is my Vehicle. I have a 2009 Chevy Trailblazer. 4.2 V6. I believe this will be fine to pull a pup as long as I don't get too heavy a pup. I am looking at a 2004 Jayco 1207. Any suggestions for me are encouraged. I have started a checklist from the pre-purchase section, but know that sometimes specific models can be prone to specific faults and failures.

Thanks in advance
    Clint

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

We have a 2005 Trailblazer and it tows our Pup really well. Enjoy and welcome from Colorado.

3. gruss

gruss Active Member

Should be fine unless you get a big high wall or toy hauler model, and even then probably be ok might need a wdh. Our 4.0 v6 X with 3.73 gears handles ours just fine, it's fairly big for a pop up.

sent from a phone.

4. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Cool, thanks for the responses. I can't figure out what whd is. A hitch?

5. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Weight distribution hitch. Or weight distributing hitch.

Its purpose is to distribute some of the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, and the trailer axle, rather than putting it all on the rear axle of the vehicle.

6. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Got it! [8D] Thanks Fallsrider.

7. razorbackcamp

razorbackcamp New Member

We tow a palimino mustang with our 4.2 trailblazer. 22 ft 2 king bunks and dinette slide. Roughly 3800 loaded down with gear. We just took it from Memphis to Myrtle Beach with no problems.

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Your trailblazer will be fine for even larger than that camper. I towed cars with my parents trail blazer. Weight hitch is really over kill. They are nice but not needed. 1207's are great campers. Similar to my 12udk. We really like ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

So I was going to schedule to see a PUP that was 1 hour away. I was researching and found the info inaccurate from the CL posting. It was listed as a 2001 Coleman. I asked seller if he was sure it was a 2001. he replied and said he was wrong it was a 1998 Pioneer Chesapeake. After doing some research on this forum which has outstanding info, I am quite certain it is a 92 give or take a year. From my understanding 95 was the last year of the Pioneer Chesapeake. I understand price is what one is willing to pay. I guess I am questioning the year. Seller is asking $1800, came down to $1500 which sounded great for a 2001, but the 1992 books at $900ish. Seller seemed irritated. Not my concern. I will keep looking. I have a gift of patience. I will be driving from Kansa City to Indianapolis this weekend if anyone is unloading a PUP under 2K.

10. R00

R00 Active Member

Wait. First or second gen. X? The C200 and M226 axles can't get 3.73's

11. gruss

gruss Active Member

Explorer...03 is 3rd, maybe 4th gen, my 98 had 3.73s too.

sent from a phone.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I think something is wrong here anyway, if the owner, who I assume has the title and does not know what it is or the year, I believe I would not walk away but run like heck in the other directions. (my opinion only)

13. R00

R00 Active Member

Ah. You say X I think Xterra...

[​IMG]

14. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

That's what I thought nineoaks. He said he has the title...???. I'm going to look at an 87 Coleman Sun Valley tomorrow that has been in a garage for 10 years. Pictures look promising. I try not to get too excited till a deal is done, but feel good about this one.

15. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

I have a GMC 1500 with a 4.3 v6 and it tows my big Jayco pup fine. I did get a brake controller and that made towing (and stopping) a breeze plus it takes the load off the trucks brakes. If the pup has brakes you might want to consider one.

Good luck with your new setup!

16. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

I'm in the club!

Went old school with the 1987 Coleman Sun Valley. Pretty bare bones. Canvas is in great shape though. Has a couple small holes/cracks in the plastic on the body. No awning, but the poles are in the bumper.

Sat for 10 years plus, so I will repack the bearings and then go into testing. [emoji1]

Attached Files:

17. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Our 2nd outing in the Sun Valley. It was a little hot, but we had a great weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I love the 80's model Coleman's! That's a pretty slick rig you have there. Had any problems with it?

Hope you're having fun.

19. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Thank you!

No problems. I did some updating/minor repairs when we bought it. Lubed the whiffle tree etc.

It has some cracks in the front and rear panels, but they're purely cosmetic.

This is a "starter" pup for us. We are really liking it and talking about our next pup already. We thought we would experience it at a reasonable price to see if we liked it before we jump in with both feet. We like it.[emoji1]

20. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Hi there. I noticed the tag on your Trail Blazer and we're in the same area. Where are you camping in these photos? Looks nice.