First storm in pup

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by lucky13don, Feb 3, 2019.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

We snuck out yesterday to a local state park. We knew we would get rain, well over night it was a storm. We were rocking and rolling in the pup, ez up blew over..lol. but it rode out the storm no problem. Park was empty so we kick the generator back on and ran the furnace all night. All in all, best nights sleep I've had in the pup..winds were gusting to 45 mph..rain. it was a good time, too bad we had to come home today.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol. I left mine up then went to work had 55 mph winds. The pup survived, i was nervous. Now i know what it can handle, and so do you!

HappyTraveler and lucky13don like this.
  3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

PUPS handle wind pretty well, my main worry with winds is falling limbs and trees. Most of the CGs around me are decades old as are the rather large trees.

HappyTraveler, Fixitup and lucky13don like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes, its a ballancing game, park in the shade so it dosent heat up, but stay away from the trees!

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun! I kind of enjoy camping during a storm (provided it's not too severe). Glad you got to enjoy the pup!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Riding out the first storm is "making memories" and it sounds like ya'll had an adventure at the same time. It is surprising how well the PUP's are made. Good Luck and keep On Camping

HappyTraveler, Fixitup and lucky13don like this.
  7. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

It was fun. I wasn't worried, I had faith in my pup. Wife was kinda stressed. But now she's talking were going out no matter the weather..lol. we had tornado warnings bout a hour north of us.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

There was 3 other campers in our loop. It was great..quiet and peaceful.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  9. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

First couple storms I rode out in mine I was a bit nervous about. But after a bad one a couple years ago I know the thing can handle about anything short of an EF-2!!

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP does a pretty good side to side sway in the wind... Probably a good 6-inches or more. I can stand in my open door way and push the wall above the door a good 6-inches or so.

To help with this situation I installed heavy duty ring hook eyelets in each of the outside roof corners. Then I run a 15-foot I/2-inch web ratchet strap down to a 18-inch long screw into the ground earth augers. This controls the side movement really good from side to side... I don't have any noticeable sway in the end to end movement... The Earth Augers install into the dirt area real easy and only takes a few minutes to screw into the ground. They leave no marks...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

The side to side sway of my raised roof was so bad it knocked off my microwave units sitting on a cabinet shelf...

I will ride out the storms in the 40-45 mph winds. Higher than that we will go set in the truck or bath room building to ride out the storm

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. John Ramsay

John Ramsay New Member

I was in a major storm in Indianapolis a few years ago. My first after many years of camping. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty nervous about the way the pup swayed and flexed in the high winds but she took it just fine and without incident. These things are built better than I thought!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Only once did I have to close my camper when what was just a tropical depression turned into tropical storm at the last minute and winds were climbing continusly the closer it got. After that event I don't freak out over storms as much any more and
    Have a new respect over the durability of the camper. Now thunderstorms still freak me out and not because of wind.

13. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

My last trip in October (the one with the dead alternator, broken lift cable, and killer storm) had me really worried, especially because of the broken lift cable that I bandaged thanks to some supplies from the park ranger. This storm killed power to the park for 36 hours, and knocked down trees everywhere. The only thing that kept me from being too worried was that if the roof feel, then at least we were on the bunk ends.

14. pudge

pudge Active Member

We did a tropical storm at Assateague in the PUP. Once I figured which windows to crack that would cut down the 'sail area' but not let the rain in we were good!

15. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Our first night out in our NTU popup. Sunday afternoon and everyone was packing up an leaving. I thought is was just the end of the weekend. Thought it was strange that we and one motorhome were the only ones left. Checked the weather and there were severe thunderstorm and tornado warning out. The wind got too high to roll up the awning so I cross tied it down. We spent the day in the men's bathhouse. There were 65 mph gust with torrential rains blowing horizontal at times. After it passed we went to check on the camper expecting to at least see my new $400 awning gone but happily there was no damage or leaks. Gave me a new respect for the resiliency of these campers. They bend and sway but that may be their saving grace as opposed to being rigid.

16. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

I'm so glad I found this thread this morning. The past few weeks here in Central Pennsylvania there's been some strange serve storms that we usually don't get often and that got the fiance and I thinking about whether it would still be safe to camp when a thunderstorm came rolling through. We only camp at State Parks so with the majority of them being where they are located we're usually without cell service to keep up on the weather so that was a major factor too and not being able to "know" what the weather could turn into. We always check the weather for the trip the day we head out, but meteorologist aren't exactly known for having the best track record with being spot on. We knew immediately that we would roll the awning back up to save losing that (we learned the hard way last fall on a windy day, wind gusts flipped the awning up on top of the camper) but it's nice to hear that our PUPS seem to be resilient with winds up to fairly substantial numbers.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Love when we have the campground to ourselves, no matter the reason. Totally agree, best sleeping is during a storm and we're still in a tent (haven't found a pup yet).