First test for side clearance on 13" radials ST175/80R13

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

re wheel well clearances (not so easy to measure!) on 2003 Aliner Scout (originally 12" bias tires)

Left Outer = 1.625"
    Left inner = 1.5"

Right inner = 7/8"" << signs of light rubbing on wide of wheel well liner
    Right Outer = 2"

This is with rims that have +0.5" offiset (pulled rims inwards) - which is what I thought I needed based on preliminary measurements, looks like I was wrong

I did a higher-speed run on wiggly road to try and maximise side-to-side camper motion. It was a long test drive, including potholes, freeway and speed bumps.

My next steps appear to be:

Buy two more rims with zero offset
    Buy two more of the same tires (I will need them for spares anyway)
    mount tires on rims
    Mount wheels on camper
    Drive the exact same test route
    Check for rubbing.

The overall problem is worsened by the axle not sitting dead center on the wheelwells. The (new) axle haas same perch spacing etc as the old axle.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Well - I did an extra test ride - same wheels - but with a 1/8" thick wheel spacer between hub and wheel - on each hub.

As you can see from the photo - the new white paint shows up the rubbing quite nicely.

Attached Files:

3. Anthony Hitchings

Tomorrow we do a cheat test - I moved both 1/8" spacers to the problem side - so one side will run with no spacer and the problem side gets 1/4" total wheel spacer.

4. Anthony Hitchings

The test ride worked ok (no rubbing on the white paint inside the wheelwell), so I ordered a pair of 5mm spacers (since using spacers doubled up is never a good idea). The new spacers arrive next week, get installed each side, and a new test ride will follow.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

well, using the 5mm wheel spacers in conjunction with rims having 0.5" positive offset works.

I should be glad. But I am still grumpy about it because looking at my clearances , which are the result of lots of assembly points and tolerances on items such as wheel well liners, the tighter side oneach well is toward the left isde of the camper. i.e., as if the center of the entire axle is left of camper CL.

So absent a magic bullet fixing that off-center-axle siutation, I will buy two more rims with the 1/2" +ve offset and buy 2 more radial tires of the same type (and get the tires mounted) so that on my trips I have two spares that exactly match the road wheels in terms of clearances.